Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Floodlit Soccer Team

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DjBryn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I never thought a draw against Substandard Liege would drive a team to madness. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

think we are leaving altogether.only 2 or 3 want to keep on playing so what can we do?looking for any transfers?lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Mooley22 wrote: »
    think we are leaving altogether.only 2 or 3 want to keep on playing so what can we do?looking for any transfers?lol

Well it depends how many of ye want to join. We said we'd stop anymore joining but through injury, holidays, other reasons etc. we only had 13 last night. If we start struggling for numbers, especially as the weather gets colder, we might need a few extra. But if everyone was available we would have a squad of about 18 players so we might have to refuse membership to our prestigious team!

it would probably just be 2 or 3 id say i will find out for definite though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Well it depends how many of ye want to join. We said we'd stop anymore joining but through injury, holidays, other reasons etc. we only had 13 last night. If we start struggling for numbers, especially as the weather gets colder, we might need a few extra. But if everyone was available we would have a squad of about 18 players so we might have to refuse membership to our prestigious team!

3 in total - to be honest its probably the only 3 on the team that had any real interest in playing the fair way (regular people playing matches and not bringing in a load of newbies all the time). It started out as a group of friends playing together and quickly turned into competitveness as to who they should drop to start the newbies.
    I played right back myself against ye but its not my favourite position - i played as a striker in the pre season tournament and managed 6 goals in 4 starts and with mooley you have a great left wing/left back who isnt afraid to put the foot in.
    And at the end of the day we're all Boardsies here ;) - a bit of healthy competition for a run out on the pitch would be a good craic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

do we get a free set of jerseys if ya sign for us....?:D whats the deal with the new wit league when is it starting and is it similar to the floodlit league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It's out in the new pitch out by B&Q it's suppose to be like playing on a fairway.

Stupid IMHO though having two leagues because there is going to be one group of teams loyal to Kevin and the ther sick of the pitch in waterpark. So what I see happening is only each league having about 10 teams.

My advice on the 3 lads is to get them down. It's a long long season yet and the boys seem sound.

Think my days of playing might be numbered but hopefully not. I def won't try anything this side of Christmas and start from scratch in the new year. Sickening to be honest but in the meantime I'll go down to the games and shout yee on when the weather isn't too bad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shammy82

hows it going lads, im involved in running oceans eleven and we are 4th in the league, however our goalkeeper has got a long term injury and as a result we've lost our last 3 league games. we have looked everywhere for a new keeper with no luck so i said i'd give this a try, so if theres anyone out there interested please get back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr check raise

shammy82 wrote: »
    hows it going lads, im involved in running oceans eleven and we are 4th in the league, however our goalkeeper has got a long term injury and as a result we've lost our last 3 league games. we have looked everywhere for a new keeper with no luck so i said i'd give this a try, so if theres anyone out there interested please get back to me.

I propose a lifetime ban off boards for celticutd87 if he replies to this:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

alco.29 wrote: »
    do we get a free set of jerseys if ya sign for us....?:D whats the deal with the new wit league when is it starting and is it similar to the floodlit league?

Kicking off next Thursday. The pitches are miles better than Waterpark although that's no surprise. Cheaper to play out there too and registration has closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Maybe the WIT effort could be something we investigate next season. I'm quite looking forward to our battle to climb up the table over the second half of the season and it gives the WIT league a chance to iron out the inevitable organisational woes that plague any start ups like this.

Elbows22 wrote: »
    3 in total - to be honest its probably the only 3 on the team that had any real interest in playing the fair way (regular people playing matches and not bringing in a load of newbies all the time). It started out as a group of friends playing together and quickly turned into competitveness as to who they should drop to start the newbies.
    I played right back myself against ye but its not my favourite position - i played as a striker in the pre season tournament and managed 6 goals in 4 starts and with mooley you have a great left wing/left back who isnt afraid to put the foot in.
    And at the end of the day we're all Boardsies here ;) - a bit of healthy competition for a run out on the pitch would be a good craic :)

lads come down for the kickaround next tuesday up mount-sion centre astro 7.45pm more the merrier , as lads said its a long season to hold a squad together...
    would be good to see some the regulars back too for the kickaround....

sounds good.do ye train everyweek?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭celticutd87

Thought it was a good game myself lads. The team is starting to gel fairly well now just need to try and up the fitness for the latter parts of games and try to cut out the small errors. 1-1 was probably a fair result and shows ya can never rely on a 1 goal lead. Had a fairly poor game myself which may have translated to the defence. Ill up it in training and make sure that dosent happen again.

P.S.
    shammy82 wrote: »
    I propose a lifetime ban off boards for celticutd87 if he replies to this:D

Ah no im quite happy with the Boardsies :D lol
    LONG LIVE THE LIEGE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

sounds good.do ye train everyweek?
    Yep most weeks we try to get an hour in...

thats good hopefully the bit of training will help the with the fitness in the matchs,playing one match a week then sitting around for the rest of the week doing nothing doesnt do much for the fitness levels lol

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

alco.29 wrote: »

http://www.witomnisportleagues.ie/socer.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shammy82

I take it celticutd87 is your goalkeeper how much are ye guys paying him.
    we're willing to double his wages :D

^ you can't match the prestige and tradition attached to substandard Liege :)

• Advertisement

thats good hopefully the bit of training will help the with the fitness in the matchs,playing one match a week then sitting around for the rest of the week doing nothing doesnt do much for the fitness levels lol

Yeah looking forward to the extra run out during the week shud be fun :cool:

kensutz wrote: »
    Kicking off next Thursday. The pitches are miles better than Waterpark although that's no surprise. Cheaper to play out there too and registration has closed.

In fairness the pitch is the downside but that will sort itself out in time when this new pitch out there gets up and going.
    As regards the running of the league to be totally honest i think its worked out really well and in fairness Kev has done an excellent job at it. I know myself how much pressure it is to run something like that as i was running the Tweedy Group league for 4 years (G'wan Muldoons :) ) so when you see the professionalism gone into this with the website etc its great.
    As regards the price you also have to think of the overheads - Pitch, referees, floodlights, website, cash prizes, free games etc so when you think of it that way...........

I think a major major difference between the two leagues isn't going to be pitch quality, money, organisation or even the scummyness of the teams(although it would effect me) it's one thing. You guess it? The Refs!!!!

We all know that it can't be an easy job out there in waterpark and I wouldn't do it but IMHO they are useless. If WIT get some good refs word will spread.

I like Kevin though he has been a huge help to us setting up the team (allot more then I have said on thread) and he's a sound guy to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Elbows22 wrote: »
    In fairness the pitch is the downside but that will sort itself out in time when this new pitch out there gets up and going.
    As regards the running of the league to be totally honest i think its worked out really well and in fairness Kev has done an excellent job at it. I know myself how much pressure it is to run something like that as i was running the Tweedy Group league for 4 years (G'wan Muldoons :) ) so when you see the professionalism gone into this with the website etc its great.
    As regards the price you also have to think of the overheads - Pitch, referees, floodlights, website, cash prizes, free games etc so when you think of it that way...........[

The pitch is a disaster ( cuts and bruises after a simple fall).I'd prefer this new league with fifa rules etc seems like a huge migration will occur next year unless the pitch is sorted. For 220e per match you should expect a decent surface

an update on the new waterpark astro pitch would be handy ,

the wit league thing seems a bit iffy in the least with the big blue appeals button on the payment page ,this could be where they intend to make an extra few quid like the old astro 5 a side used to do with fines for everything going it also runs alongside camogie,hurling,& gaelic fb :)...
    and your only savin a tenner a team with the risk of a sliotar flyin in on the pitch

have no problems with the wp refs cant knock em its no easy task there some nights ,if everyone stuck to playin good football ya wouldnt even notice them on the pitch..

Ah Jesus I'm sorry brian but some of
    them are useless. Do I need to remind ya about the game when the guy sin bined one of our players and they haven't played that rule in ages I had to get Kevin to call him over and tell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Good to hear about the draw in the last game lads. Well done. Looking forward to getting back and playing myself. I'm back Sunday the 21st and I'm on nights so shuld be good for that week's game. Be grand to have the other two or three lads too if we're starting to become short of players the odd time, especially if they're of the same mentality as ourselves (which they seem to be). Best of luck in this week's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Best of luck in this week's game.

We ain't on again until the 26th. Next match is McClaf's team, Bada Bing. If we beat them there'll be serious bragging rights in work!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭celticutd87

ziedth wrote: »
    ^ you can't match the prestige and tradition attached to substandard Liege :)

Dam skippy :D

• Advertisement

Kickaround 2moro tue meetin 7.45 mt sion astro,
    shud have enough for 8-9 aside game..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement