Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jimmy Kelly on RTE news

• 09-04-2010 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

"the banks are having a laugh"

Go on boy, lay into 'em!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

works for Unite,something to do with the trade unions.from waterford,used to work in de glass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"a beard" even if he doesn't have one

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

He did not do a good job while at the Glass...It was the start of their downfall!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Yes Boss wrote: »
    He did not do a good job while at the Glass...It was the start of their downfall!!
    But not Jimmy's downfall.Cute man,each cat catch his own mouse.

• Advertisement

marlin vs wrote: »
    But not Jimmy's downfall.Cute man,each cat catch his own mouse.

I hope you are not suggesting that it is a case of mé féin. I would hope that the Unions here in Ireland would care for society at large and not the individual or a particular interest group!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

the unions could,nt give a ****e about anyone they usually end up goin with what management say and not there members! ! ! Fact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

the unions could,nt give a ****e about anyone they usually end up goin with what management say and not there members! ! ! Fact

If you don't like whats happening, why not run for election yourself?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dayshah wrote: »

Perhaps he realizes that the unions in general don't give a monkeys and just stay with they're own agenda, the fact we have some random lad ranting about banks its laughable

I'd be interested to know what makes him an expert on them :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    Perhaps he realizes that the unions in general don't give a monkeys and just stay with they're own agenda, the fact we have some random lad ranting about banks its laughable

I'd be interested to know what makes him an expert on them :)

Probably as much as makes Brian Lenihan an expert.

I wouldn't consider Jimmy Kelly to be 'random', and a huge number of people, and the majority of experts, would consider the banks to be 'having a laugh', they just mightn't phrase it in that Waterford way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Probably as much as makes Brian Lenihan an expert.

Your forgetting that the Dept Of Finance can advise him and they very much do have the qualifications to be experts, who exactly advises this Jimmy lad.

Is it not much different to picking some random guy off the street to just have an opposing view, in any case next week will we have another thread "Jimmy Jim Bob on RTE", he worked in some shop down the quays and is a member of a union.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Your forgetting that the Dept Of Finance can advise him and they very much do have the qualifications to be experts, who exactly advises this Jimmy lad.

Is that some sort of joke?

Are you not aware that the staff of the Dept. Finance are woefully uneducated in economics and finance, and only 3 people in the whole civil service have a PhD in economics? The Dept. Finance hardly has a good track record now over the past few years.

It has been widely discussed. Perhaps you missed it.

Jimmy was brought on to talk about the pay negotiations, but made some very good points (in proper Waterford fashion) about the banks. Did you even see the interview?

while the majority of the private sector workers are either being laid off or have no other choice but to take pay cuts or as in the case with us shortly we,re being made redundant and have to reapply for our jobs under new terms and conditions, the public sector who have secure positions some of whom get paid for two or three months of the year while on summer holidays have this vendetta to cause as much inconvenience to the majority of the taxpaying public and the unfortunates that are unemployed goin into try claim what there entitled to and having to endure work to rules or others trying to get a passport and having to endure work to rule!!! i say sack the lot of em and give the unemployed people of this country a job as they would be grateful of having it!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Is that some sort of joke?

Are you not aware that the staff of the Dept. Finance are woefully uneducated in economics and finance, and only 3 people in the whole civil service have a PhD in economics? The Dept. Finance hardly has a good track record now over the past few years.

It has been widely discussed. Perhaps you missed it.

Jimmy was brought on to talk about the pay negotiations, but made some very good points (in proper Waterford fashion) about the banks. Did you even see the interview?

Where did you pull those facts out of ?

Junior wrote: »
    Where did you pull those facts out of ?

The lack of PhDs in the Dept Finance was a fairly big story about 2 months ago. It was in a few papers.

The civil service takes a generalist approach. In fact the current head of the central bank is the first proper economist to have this role. All the past ones were just plucked from the civil service.

Why do you think the country is in such a mess?

"while the majority of the private sector workers are either being laid off or have no other choice but to take pay cuts or as in the case with us shortly we,re being made redundant and have to reapply for our jobs under new terms and conditions, ..."

If you want long holidays then do the spadework and train to be a teacher. If you are being rehired on new terms, then talk to your shop steward.

If you are happy with how things are going, then just continue as you are. I've as much sympathy for people who lose their jobs and don't protest or don't try get better redundancy as I have for sheep going to the slaughter. Look at the workers in W Crystal. At least they made a stand, got better terms than they otherwise would, and we will have some manufacturing going on in the Mall soon enough.

Also the majority of private sector workers aren't taking pay cuts. Some have, but pay has been largely stable for the majority.

I'm glad that there are still people who are willing to take a stand, and I'm glad there is a Waterford man leading them.

If you want long holidays then do the spadework and train to be a teacher. If you are being rehired on new terms, then talk to your shop steward.

I don't see that becoming a teacher is much of a chore! The rewards are out of sync with the effort. They start on 38k a year, work a half day, work a little over a half a year and don't get fired for being incompetent!!
    If you are happy with how things are going, then just continue as you are. I've as much sympathy for people who lose their jobs and don't protest or don't try get better redundancy as I have for sheep going to the slaughter. Look at the workers in W Crystal. At least they made a stand, got better terms than they otherwise would, and we will have some manufacturing going on in the Mall soon enough.

What a silly statement to make. Lots of people are treated fairly by their employers and many people are left go through no fault of that employer..open your eyes to the reality that is out there. Suggesting that they should fight for something that may not be there AGAINST someone who may have treated them well for many years in my opinion is just pure ignorant!!

The manufacturing on the Mall have absolutely nothing to do with the stand taken by the workers of the Crystal...If anything their stand may have called into question, why someone would bother opening up at all. If you look at the facts a lot of the ground work for the plant on the Mall was done by the business community in Waterford and Waterford City Council.
    Also the majority of private sector workers aren't taking pay cuts. Some have, but pay has been largely stable for the majority.

No the majority of private workers is either being left go or are working reduced hours. In addition to that there are others leaving the Country. A return of the 80s...
    I'm glad that there are still people who are willing to take a stand, and I'm glad there is a Waterford man leading them.

What can i say...Nationally, Waterford is known for its militant Unions...You have to ask the question- Is that why Waterford did not develop as much as other Cities during the Celtic Tiger? You would have to wonder why certain towns have developed more like Kilkenny, Wexford, Athlone etc etc.. and Waterford did not!!

First off, if being a teacher is so great, why don't more people try do it? There is no way I'd teach in a secondary school. Bad teachers should be sacked, and a lot of teachers would agree with that. But are we going to attract better teachers by paying them less?

Yeah, we have a recession, but nothing annoys me more than people whining and moaning but doing nothing about it. The small firms association calls out for pay cuts, and then are surprised when people have no money to spend in their businesses.

Also I hate the crap of 'lucky enough to have a job'. 85% still have a job, and having a job should be the normal thing. People are unlucky NOT to have a job. If people do work they should be paid fairly for it.

In the Passport office you had people who were 'lucky enough to have a job' and enough spare cash to go on a fancy holiday complaining about workers who protest against being paid little more than the dole. At the same time billions is given to the banks and some people are actually STUPID enough to think there is no connection between the two.

And after all that, people are thinking we should now bail out Seán Quinn too! Some people learned nothing over the past 3 years.

First off, if being a teacher is so great, why don't more people try do it? There is no way I'd teach in a secondary school. Bad teachers should be sacked, and a lot of teachers would agree with that. But are we going to attract better teachers by paying them less?

Ok think of the government as a company because that it is effectively,

Now I'm sure you've worked in the private sector so you should know that this example can easily happen.

The company you work for perhaps made a bad decision which meant that its profits have dropped massively, so the company effectively has two choices
    - Up the base price on the products they sell (like the gov upping tax')
    - Cut jobs, cut pay

Now if they up prices there is only so much the consumer on the street will take before they won't buy the product, in this case there is only so much tax increases the average Joe will take just to keep people employed within the company.

Given the company is in debt as well you can't continue to pay all outgoings the same as if times were good, you can't continue as you were basically so pay cuts must happen and jobs must go.

Now we all know that in the private sector if you do a job and don't perform then you can loose your job, however if you take the teachers you won't find 1 teacher (yes not 1) who has been sacked for poor performance during the last 5 years. This is extremely worrying.

So now we are in a situation where for years we've paid a percentage of people who are not performing and who effectively will never be sacked.

The system needs massive reform and given the company (the gov) can't continue to pay out massive amounts of money then either jobs must go or pay cuts and/or may freezes must continue

Yeah, we have a recession, but nothing annoys me more than people whining and moaning but doing nothing about it. The small firms association calls out for pay cuts, and then are surprised when people have no money to spend in their businesses.

What annoys me is people winching about their pay & conditions yet they actually still have jobs and extremely secure one's at that, kind of puts them across as thankless bastards really.

As well as that they want what they refer to as pay cuts reversed (paying into your pension is not a pay cut), yet given we are paying there wages they then will wounder why consumers won't have money to spend (we're too busy paying there wages).
    Also I hate the crap of 'lucky enough to have a job'. 85% still have a job, and having a job should be the normal thing. People are unlucky NOT to have a job. If people do work they should be paid fairly for it.

Given the unemployment percentage and the fact that I know of not 1 person in that sector who has been made redundant then yes they are extremely lucky to have a job, can you find me one person in the public sector who has been made redundant?

I can find you atleast 200+ off hand in the private sector who have been and thats with basically no thought.

At the end of the day we have a choice:

1) make bondholders face their losses of about €2 billion
    2) Cut binmens pay

Or another choice
    1) Cut science education (as is being done)
    2) Reduce pensions for for those over €60k

Just because we need to reduce spending doesn't mean the government priorities are right.

If the country was a company the management would have been sacked a long time ago.

At the end of the day we have a choice:

1) make bondholders face their losses of about €2 billion
    2) Cut binmens pay

Or another choice
    1) Cut science education (as is being done)
    2) Reduce pensions for for those over €60k

Just because we need to reduce spending doesn't mean the government priorities are right.

If the country was a company the management would have been sacked a long time ago.
    if the government was a company then its severly over staffed!!!!! and the numbers employed should be cut to make it more profitable

• Advertisement

if the government was a company then its severly over staffed!!!!! and the numbers employed should be cut to make it more profitable

If it were over staffed then the work to rule would have had no effect.

I agree that efficiency can be improved, but its managements job to get that done, not the workers.

I really don't understand the connection between work to rule and staff numbers. The Union's decided to inflict as much pain on the general public without impacting their members (public servants). In my opinion it was a cowardly act by the people who are there to serve the public. Afriad to lose a days pay by going on strike!
    I agree that efficiency can be improved, but its managements job to get that done, not the workers.

Again, your logic is lost on me...It is the work practices of ALL the public servants that are archaic and need changing. They are so afraid of change so the unions protect their vested interests at the expense of the public. Shame on them!!

for instants look at our health system its one of the worst in europe and why?? because there,s too much management,office staff and not enough ground staff e.g. consultants the public sector as a whole needs a total over haul to streamline it and make it more operational!!!

Advertisement