Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick landscape photography tips please!

• 09-04-2010 7:18pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm off down to Kerry this weekend, my girlfriend just got a new camera so want to take some nice pix. She has a Canon 500D with the 18-55is lens, and she also borrowed a Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX DG too:) which we have the option of buying

I was taking a look on flickr for some nice shots of the area like the ring of Kerry etc and hope to take some nice shots too. I'm hoping some of you guys can give me some quick tips on camera settings etc to take advantage of the scenery and hopefully good weather, to get some nice photos.

I would appreciate some tips. I don't want to just stick on the automatic settings but I'm not sure of how to get the best results.

Any advice appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

A lot of it will depend on how familiar you are with the camera, but here are some tips off the top of my head. Some of this might not mean much to you but have a Google :)

1. You will need a tripod, might get away with it if it's in the afternoon.

2. The 24-70 might not be wide enough on the crop body, you might be better off with the kit lens (turn off IS if on a tripod) Although the 24-70 may be sharper for longer shots.

3. Find a composition you are happy with, also try portrait orientation.

4. Set up the tripod, lock it in position and try to keep the horizon level.

5. Focus manually a third into the scene. (hyperfocal distance)

6. Use Av or full manual. Set a narrow-ish aperture, maybe f16.

7. Now, if it is a scene with high dynamic range it could be tricky. I assume you don't have ND grads. Another option is bracketing and exposure blend/HDR. If you are using a single exposure, expose to the right using the histogram. Make sure the clipping warning is on. You should be aiming to clip the highlights slightly. Correct in software after.

8. SHOOT RAW!!!

9. Use a remote release or self timer to avoid shake. You could use mirror lockup also but it won't make much of a difference.

That's all I can think of now, I'm sure I've forgotten something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Good tips there, must get a pen and pad and scribbl some of these down for next time I head out myself.

What about when you don't have a tripod with you though? As is usually the case for me.

Also, just noticed your url Daycent, I seen Your picture published in Digital photography magazine a few months back. Good stuff. I remember because of the name, I went to school with a Brian Healey :D Doubt you're one and the same though.

Good tips there, must get a pen and pad and scribbl some of these down for next time I head out myself.

What about when you don't have a tripod with you though? As is usually the case for me.

Also, just noticed your url Daycent, I seen Your picture published in Digital photography magazine a few months back. Good stuff. I remember because of the name, I went to school with a Brian Healey :D Doubt you're one and the same though.

Cheers! It's a common enough name so I doubt it's me.

And I'm from Cork, like. :p
    Of course it's theoretically possible for you to be from Cork and living elsewhere.... I have heard of such things....

Anyway, the tripod thing. I was saying you might get away with it in the afternoon. This is assuming it would be bright at that time of the day (not a given in Ireland). You want to be able to achieve a narrowish aperture and keep the ISO low. This lengthens the shutter speed so if it's not really bright you won't be able to handhold the camera. Of course if you don't have a tripod with you you can always improvise. The photo you were on about from Digital Camera was taken resting the camera on a wall supported by my jacket. Take enough shots and you'll get something sharp :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

shoot when the sun is coming in at an angle (sunrise, sunset).

It increases contrast and improves overall form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

A bit of patience and good timing on the light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

look out for Electricity poles I seem to be blind to them

make sure there is something interesting in the foreground

if you don't have a tripod just put the camera on a bag

try to shoot with low iso

evening or morning light is usually best

sheesh wrote: »
    look out for Electricity poles I seem to be blind to them

make sure there is something interesting in the foreground

if you don't have a tripod just put the camera on a bag

try to shoot with low iso

evening or morning light is usually best

Yes +1 on the foreground interest thing, makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Brian mentioned a lot of this but its a nice concise article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Brian mentioned a lot of this but its a nice concise article

Nice one, cheers.

Advertisement