Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powercolor Go! Green HD5750

Options
  • 09-04-2010 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

Has anybody heard about the Powercolor Go! Green HD5750? It's a passively cooled version of the standard 5750 card, yet doesn't need a PCI-Express power connector as all the power is drawn via the PCI-Express bus. I've looked on a lot of the UK and Irish online stores, e.g. Dabs, Komplett, ebuyer, Overclockers, Scan etc, but I can't find it anywhere. The price for the standard Powercolor HD5750 is approx. €130, so I imagine the Go! Green version will be about €20-30 more.

There's reviews of the card here and here.

show_img.asp?id=214&file=image_b_s.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

HD5770 maybe. The 1GB HD5750 usually comes in more around the €110-120 range (aside from premium variants). You'd still be looking at €150-180 for that card though, on the basis that it uses a passive cooler (the non-reference PCB isn't even that important in comparison)

Bear in mind that that card may be slightly undervolted and even if it runs at the same speeds as a reference HD5750 it'll run a bit cooler and will have a low overclocking ceiling due to the reduced voltage and the 75W hard limit on power consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Solitaire wrote: »
    HD5770 maybe. The 1GB HD5750 usually comes in more around the €110-120 range (aside from premium variants). You'd still be looking at €150-180 for that card though, on the basis that it uses a passive cooler (the non-reference PCB isn't even that important in comparison)

Bear in mind that that card may be slightly undervolted and even if it runs at the same speeds as a reference HD5750 it'll run a bit cooler and will have a low overclocking ceiling due to the reduced voltage and the 75W hard limit on power consumption.

Overclocking isn't something I'll be looking into, but €180 is too dear for me; let's hope it's cheaper when released.

+1. Passive cards tend to be alarmingly random in the price stakes; sometimes you'll see a new model just €20-30 more than a basic "almost-OEM" no-frills unit, and other times they really do take the **** :o

All we can do is pray! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nice Card. Was going to buy the 4670 Ultimate as it's a fantastic price for a entry level performance passive card, though this'd be worth waiting for...depending on pricing. The 4670 Ultimate is only 65-70 euro, which is really a great price.

Though I have to say I got one of the newer 'low power' 9800GT's lately as a stopgap between cards, but it surprised the hell out of me. It's a very thin card and the cooler is virtually inaudible - quieter than my PC&P Silencer PSU. No native hdmi though or full Hd decoding, which I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have a passively cooled card and if mine is anything to go by you'll need to point a fan at it anyway. You'll get away without one in normal everyday use but as soon as you put a game on the temperature soars and the passive cooling isn't enough on it's own.

• Advertisement

+1. One of the few times I'd countenance risking the vibrations associated with bolting a fan across a side panel, but even a very quiet one should supply the needed airflow to keep the heat moving :)

And if you can't you could always get one of those silent low-profile (12mm thick!) 100mm case fans from Scythe. A couple of zip ties later and Bob's your aunty! :D

From what I've been reading on the Silent PC Review forums, there isn't any need to mount a fan on the card, provided there is adequate air-flow in your case, since the temperatures appear to be manageable.

Its really just if you have poor air flow in that region of your case - we're talking ultra-silent fans here, not your average GPU leafblower :p

Solitaire wrote: »
    Its really just if you have poor air flow in that region of your case - we're talking ultra-silent fans here, not your average GPU leafblower :p

Oh I'm aware of that, but there are those who prefer as few fans as possible, regardless of how whisper quiet they are. ;)

I must say, the more and more I read about this card, the more I want it. The only sites I've seen that currently have stock, unfortunately, are based in Germany. It'd be best to hold out a bit longer until they reach either the UK or Ireland, rather than pay more than the card is worth just to get it now.

I'm unsure about what card I want now after comparing the 5750 and 5770. I originally discounted the 5770 and above GPUs, as I was concerned about my PSU's capabilities, but now that I know it can handle cards like the 5770, I'm revising my plans (I have eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite to thank). While I still want as quiet a card as possible, I also want to get a card that's capable of playing current games at 1080p with playable framerates.

I guess I'm becoming impatient while waiting on the Go! Green HD 5750's availability, so does anyone have any suggestions on what card to get? While I've been looking at the 5750 and 5770, there are so many iterations to choose from I'm at a loss. My budget's €150 max and below is my current config; in case anyone's interested:

• Antec Performance One P160
    • Antec NeoPower 480W
    • Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L (MicroATX)
    • Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5300
    • Kingston Value Ram 800Mz DDR2 (1 x 2 GB)
    • 4 x SATA HDDs
    • 1 x DVD RW
    • 2 x 120 MM case fans

• Advertisement

Just thought I'd update the thread.

While I haven't seen any stores offering the Powercolor Go! Green HD5750, I have decided to go for the MSI 5770 Hawk instead; due in large part to how quiet it is. It's more expensive than the other 5770's, the cheapest I've seen it for is €163.33, but well worth it given it's low-noise and great overclocking options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Just another update on this, the 5750 green is available here for around €160 delivered

Advertisement