Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chicken Kiev's - 99 cent for saturday only

• 09-04-2010 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

0.84?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

99cent for a pack of two at Lidl tomorrow only Sat 9th. Dog food is cheap, but im not sure what its like.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Shayman

Davy wrote: »

99cent for a pack of two at Lidl tomorrow only Sat 9th. Dog food is cheap, but im not sure what its like.
    What? You havent tried it? Tch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

That dog food scares me (and I'm not easily scared) Its like a big scary sausage. I think lidl's Super Saturday has become rubbish tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Well thats true to a point Lindtee. They sometimes have rubbish items for sale in the Super Saturdays, although there are good offers too. For example, the fruit juices, blocks of cheese, and toilets rolls, have been on offer in the last month or so. These were genuine reductions on good quality items. I agree this weeks offers aren't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

The 'chicken' kievs sound scary - what percent meat content could they possible have? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Forget the meat content, they're "chopped and shaped" aka processed. Nasty stuff, I wouldn't touch these. The Tesco Chicken Kiev that was on their meal deal was lovely, natural not processed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Oracle wrote: »
    Forget the meat content, they're "chopped and shaped" aka processed. Nasty stuff, I wouldn't touch these. The Tesco Chicken Kiev that was on their meal deal was lovely, natural not processed.

Roflmfao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Chicken Kiev's have one of the worst percentages out of any chicken product for actual chicken meat content iirc, so...

I'd be very warey over buying cheap chicken kiev's considering how already cheaply made they are.

bryaner wrote: »
    Roflmfao

What an informative post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Has anybody actually tried the kievs? From the posts here it seems to me like the typical case of "it's cheap so it's got to be bad". After all, these are the same yokes that normally sell at twice the price, which would make it on the cheaper side of average no? (€7.00/kg according to the add)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 SchweppesUTD

The 'chicken' kievs sound scary - what percent meat content could they possible have? :eek:

They should be called "greasy bread crumbs" Kievs.:pac:

Vertakill wrote: »
    Chicken Kiev's have one of the worst percentages out of any chicken product for actual chicken meat content iirc, so...

I'd be very warey over buying cheap chicken kiev's considering how already cheaply made they are.

What an informative post!

Better not eat any sausages so

• Advertisement

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Has anybody actually tried the kievs? From the posts here it seems to me like the typical case of "it's cheap so it's got to be bad".

No, my reasoning is that the majority of Chicken Kiev's are, generally, mostly breadcrumb, garlic butters and an assortment of different parts of the chicken (worth absolutely nothing), with a very small % of actual chicken meat... THEN toppled with cutting the price by half on an already cheap Lidl product is enough alarm bells for me, thanks.
    bryaner wrote: »
    Better not eat any sausages so

Yeah... luckily this thread has nothing to do with sausages though, isn't it?
    You've really mastered the art of completely irrelevant posts, well done.

Anyways, not trying to derail the thread. Although, in saying that, I'd probably sooner eat their Plenty kitchen rolls for dinner than their kievs. :rolleyes:

No, my reasoning is that the majority of Chicken Kiev's are, generally, mostly breadcrumb, garlic butters and an assortment of different parts of the chicken (worth absolutely nothing), with a very small % of actual chicken meat... THEN toppled with cutting the price by half on an already cheap Lidl product is enough alarm bells for me, thanks.

Yeah... luckily this thread has nothing to do with sausages though, isn't it?

You've really mastered the art of completely irrelevant posts, well done.

I'm just comparing chicken meat in kiev's to pork meat content in sausages!
    If your scared to eat a Lidl chicken Kiev then I would imagine you would sh1t
    yourself if you knew the contents of a sausage

Pretty irreverently mastered I guess

Thanks for the comparison but I thought it was fairly common knowledge that the two most 'dodgy' food products (for actual meat content) were sausages and chicken kiev's.

One of the reasons why I wouldn't skimp on either is because you could literally be eating nearly ANY part of the chicken/pig in those products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jesus Vertakill.

Have you any evidence whatsoever that these particular ones are bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bennyob

I'll be stocking up on that dog food. 1.68 for a weeks supply is nothing to turn your nose up at.

Thanks for the comparison but I thought it was fairly common knowledge that the two most 'dodgy' food products (for actual meat content) were sausages and chicken kiev's.

One of the reasons why I wouldn't skimp on either is because you could literally be eating nearly ANY part of the chicken/pig in those products.

Country was reared on sausages black pud etc get it into ya no harm done once chemicals are kept out of it. Or stick with tofu if that's what your into

noodler wrote: »
    Jesus Vertakill.

Have you any evidence whatsoever that these particular ones are bad?

Well, I don't have first hand experience of these particular kievs but, I'm not the only person who has drawn attention to chicken kiev's questionable actual meat content on this thread.

Anyways, I'm just reminding anyone that may be interested in stocking up on these to read the packaging before consuming a load of them.

I know it's not conclusive and it can be a bit subjective (as it's UK), but it may be worth having a look at Bally Manor's Kiev's in comparison to M&S's and so on.
    Most notably the much lower protein levels (ie. Less chicken, more breadcrumb, more garlic butter, more chicken giblets [which doesn't qualify as chicken meat]).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/chicken-kiev/3

Anyways, bon appetit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

+1

You'd be better off with the dog food. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Davy wrote: »

Whilst I'm a fan of aldi and Lidl, I'm not so sure about chicken kievs they sell.
    This is far from premium chicken fillets, more like processed meat left over from the dog food sausages.
    99c or not, Tbh I'd prefer to chew on a broken glass Sanger!
    I mean who here would be content feeding this to their kids without feeling a little bit guilty?

I rest my case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Gucky wrote: »
    Whilst I'm a fan of aldi and Lidl, I'm not so sure about chicken kievs they sell.
    This is far from premium chicken fillets, more like processed meat left over from the dog food sausages.
    99c or not, Tbh I'd prefer to chew on a broken glass Sanger!
    I mean who here would be content feeding this to their kids without feeling a little bit guilty?

I rest my case!

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

Bought 30 of the dog food rolls - Thank Poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

I`ll be eating the chicken kievs for dinner during the week.
    They are most likely reconstituted chicken, ah well. nom nom :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I know from reading the label it was less than half chicken (4x%, can't recall exact figure), but I'm sure I'll survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

byte wrote: »
    I'm sure I'll survive.

What doesnt kill you will only make you stronger :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Was in yesterday morning and picked up the rolls of Plenty for a fiver.

Dog food was selling well.. but the mountain of Chicken Kiev's in the freezer looked practically un-touched.

basquille wrote: »

Dog food was selling well.. but the mountain of Chicken Kiev's in the freezer looked practically un-touched.

Yeah, same in the local store here.
    Mountains of 43% Chicken kievs. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I checked the protein content, take a guess:
    50% ?
    40% ?
    30% ?
    20% ?
    10% ?
    Nope, a whopping 9.1%...:eek:

Might be better off eating the dog food for 24c :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Has anybody actually tried the kievs? From the posts here it seems to me like the typical case of "it's cheap so it's got to be bad". After all, these are the same yokes that normally sell at twice the price, which would make it on the cheaper side of average no? (€7.00/kg according to the add)

I have..
    I can see (taste ) nothing wrong with them.. as good as the Supervalu---Tesco ones anyday ;)

If ye were hungry ye would be glad of them :D

And of all of the moaners here .. How many of you ate the worst possible Junk when full of Alcohol and headed for the locall chipper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What were you expecting? the majority of breaded chicken products have about 40-60% chicken in them. Raw unbreaded chicken breasts are ~22% protein, and skinned/fatty chicken would have a little less as the fat is taking up more space. So if you had a chicken kiev in a michelin star restaurant it would probably also be ~10% protein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

You're just wasting your energy, Vert. I tried warning people about the meat content in a previous Lidl offer (rashers, sausages, pudding and eggs for €4!) and people just moaned. Let them eat connective tissue.

Anyways, it seems clear that a lot of people have only 2 criteria's for what they put in their bodies..
    1. Is it cheap?
    2. Will it kill me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Anyways, it seems clear that a lot of people have only 2 criteria's for what they put in their bodies..
    1. Is it cheap?
    2. Will it kill me?

Or you some people who make silly and snobby assumptions based on price alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Can't read this stuff anymore.. it's expired and while there's some valuable information in this thread, it doesn't really belong here anymore!

It's like coming into a thread offering cheap cigarettes or (god forbid) booze and telling us they'll eventually kill us or are bad for us.

Closed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement