Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one way system in tramore

Options
  • 09-04-2010 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

was out in tramore the other day with the mrs and we said we'd go for a bag of chips, the chippers near the beach was fairly full so we said we'd go up the hill and get them there. thought the one way systems was alittle crazy any one else have any thoughts on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well we are kind of used to it now, but we were wondering how the summer visitors were going to cope with it! If you are starting right from the bottom of the hill, at the fairground area it is rather a long way to get to the top of the hill in a car though.

You go towards Waterford, past the Majestic, sharp left up Lower Branch Road, a very tight right and left and much searching for yet lower gears up Patricks Street/Hill, then loop left and realise you still cant park outside the chipper, at whcih stage you say oh *** it and park there anyway, otherwise you might have to go all round the block again.

The alternative is to go up Galways Hill, along Priest Road, down Summerhill and again hope there is parking. Of course what you can do is park in Supervalue car park then nip through the store and down to the chipper.

It is easier to drive down the Main Street now though, except when people double park outside the chipper.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

looksee wrote: »
    It is easier to drive down the Main Street now though, except when people double park outside the chipper.:rolleyes:
    But it's harder to walk across the street. Because there's no oncoming traffic, motorists are zooming down the hill. I've seen a few incidents down by the AIB, too, where cars exiting from the bank car park (a blind spot) almost had their noses clipped by speeding traffic. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 garrser

You go towards Waterford, past the Majestic, sharp left up Lower Branch Road, a very tight right and left and much searching for yet lower gears up Patricks Street/Hill, then loop left and realise you still cant park outside the chipper, at whcih stage you say oh *** it and park there anyway, otherwise you might have to go all round the block again.

Isn't the Lower Branch now only accessible from that direction (i.e. uphill) up to the entrance to Tramore House?

If I am not mistaken you can no longer reach the corner of Queens Street / Patricks Street that way..

I could be wrong though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Guramoogah wrote: »
    But it's harder to walk across the street. Because there's no oncoming traffic, motorists are zooming down the hill. I've seen a few incidents down by the AIB, too, where cars exiting from the bank car park (a blind spot) almost had their noses clipped by speeding traffic. :eek:

I agree, either there will be a serious accident soon or the council will have to put in speed bumps , don't know why strand st (AIB) should not be two as far as the post office junction

garrser wrote: »
    Isn't the Lower Branch now only accessible from that direction (i.e. uphill) up to the entrance to Tramore House?

If I am not mistaken you can no longer reach the corner of Queens Street / Patricks Street that way..

I could be wrong though. :)

Hmm glad you mentioned it! I obviously haven't been that way recently!
    So the only way to the top of main street is all the way round Priest Road? Not sure that is a good way to attract custom up into the town from the seafront.
    And as for the crossing outside the Bank of Ireland - they are all bad but that is the worst - someone will get knocked down on one of those crossings.
    By the way has anyone noticed the lights are off outside Tesco? Wonder if that is permanent, it doesn't seem to be a problem for cars but pedestrians could find it difficult to cross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

I know they decided to make it one way to avoid congestion - congestion that wasn't really a problem to begin with but the system is going to turn Tramore in to a ghost town.

I used to go to the chipper, Boots, etc but I just can't be bothered any more, its too much hassle, it must be affecting all the businesses.

Cars are speeding down Main Street, its much more hazardous now then it ever was before

What where the town council thinking allowing this system to be implemented - the mind boggles :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Not sure that is a good way to attract custom up into the town from the seafront.
    Can they not walk up?
    I know they decided to make it one way to avoid congestion - congestion that wasn't really a problem to begin with but the system is going to turn Tramore in to a ghost town.
    It was also made one-way to free up parking spaces, to encourage people to come into the town.
    I used to go to the chipper, Boots, etc but I just can't be bothered any more, its too much hassle, it must be affecting all the businesses.
    How is it too much hassle, seriously? You can still access those places, and you can now park outside because yellow lines have been removed. How did you access those places before the one-way system? I'd say most of the time you just drove down Summerhill and Main Street, which you can still do.

I'm not sold on the new routes either , feel there are too many disadvantages in order to gain a few parking spots for a couple of chippers and a few estates agents. Didn't ever think that parking was at a shortage in Tramore(footpaths Yes) unless you can't physically walk 100 metres.
    Cars are now flying down the hills with not much thought into suddenly stopping (Downhill) if a pedestrian steps out unwittingly.This situation is liable to be even more hazardous when there are 2 lines of parked cars on either side totally blocking the drivers views.
    It would have been nice for the council to consider its residents over a few car slots

Can they not walk up? QUOTE]

Have you ever tried to push a buggy up the hill, especially the first section?

Doesn't look like its finished yet

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/changes-to-new-one-way-system-in-tramore/

Changes to new one-way system in Tramore
    By Tom Young. Published on Friday, April 16th, 2010 at 2:25 pm Waterford County Council is considering changes to the new one-way traffic system in Tramore, following representations made on behalf of local business people. That was announced at Tramore Town Council’s April meeting by Town Manager Brian White.

He said it was proposed to return both Strand Street Upper and Church Road to a two-way system and in that regard it was intended going to public consultation, as was required, in early May. People in vehicles wishing to use the town centre will be redirected to it via Ring Road.

Mr White also announced that public toilets on The Prom, having been open through Easter until Monday, April 12, would open again for the May Bank Holiday Weekend and then for the summer season from the June Bank Holiday. The restrictions are due to budget constraints.

• Advertisement

Its a bit difficult to see how those two changes will make a serious amount of difference. At least at the moment it doesn't matter that the exit from beside the post office is blind to the right. I wonder how many visitors will just keep going up hill past the cross - unless another arrangement of bollards is placed across the road :D

It does mean that traffic will be able to access the Patrick St/Main St/Queen St triangle more directly from the front.

I wonder will there be a map of the system distributed to the b&bs and caravan parks?

I think it'll make it a lot easier overall, better access to the one way up Patrick st and inhibit the crazy speeding down Strand st. From a business point a view it'll make Main/Strand street alot easier to navigate for the first timer as its not clear to most who go to turn up Strand st only to find it one way

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Booking a weekend in Tramore soon.
    Haven't been there for years!. All this sounds a bit nightmare ish.
    Looks like I might have quite a shock in store, glad I stumbled on these threads.!!

Can they not walk up?.

Yes some people can walk but most can't be bothered - I have arthritis and I find it very difficult walking up or down hills as do alot of people who have walking difficults.

It was also made one-way to free up parking spaces, to encourage people to come into the town.

People weren't particuliar that discouraged to begin with, who ever was reading the mood should be sacked in my opinion, at the very least they should have listened to local people and traders who in the main oppossed this system

This may have made sense to some people but in reality people are avoiding Main Street - parking is therefore not an issue. Also a similiar arguement was used in Waterford City and it turned the town into a ghost town, whoever allowed this system to be put in place should have looked at the bigger picture and all aspects involved. The one way system shows tunnel vision.

How is it too much hassle, seriously? You can still access those places, and you can now park outside because yellow lines have been removed. How did you access those places before the one-way system? I'd say most of the time you just drove down Summerhill and Main Street, which you can still do.

Yes its too much hassle seriously, you mightn't like this answer but quite alot of people feel its too much hassle. For the majority of people who are in a hurry,have children, buggies etc or have walking difficults its not worth the bother. Services are meant to be there for the people not to the detriment of the people, speeding is now an issue when it wasn't before.

I was talking to some of the local traders in the pub the other night and they say that business has dropped off significantly. Its a very ill conceived system that is threatening to destroy the little business community in Tramore. As usual no one appears to be in a position to be held accountable or responsible for this.

The people who came up with this system are not likely to lose their jobs because of it shot comings, however the people who will lose business because of it are also the people who are the most likely to lose their jobs despite the fact all the problems brought about where pointed out well in advance by the traders - typically Irish

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I wonder will there be a map of the system distributed to the b&bs and caravan parks?

The Discover Tramore maps are designed and ready to print with the new one-way system changes. Just waiting on the council to finalise the system before it gets printed and it turns out to be wrong if they change it over the summer. :)

Not sure their changes will make any difference.

Yes some people can walk but most can't be bothered - I have arthritis and I find it very difficult walking up or down hills as do alot of people who have walking difficults.
    That's fair enough, hadn't thought of that.
    People weren't particuliar that discouraged to begin with, who ever was reading the mood should be sacked in my opinion, at the very least they should have listened to local people and traders who in the main oppossed this system
    I was talking to some of the local traders in the pub the other night and they say that business has dropped off significantly. Its a very ill conceived system that is threatening to destroy the little business community in Tramore. As usual no one appears to be in a position to be held accountable or responsible for this.

The people who came up with this system are not likely to lose their jobs because of it shot comings, however the people who will lose business because of it are also the people who are the most likely to lose their jobs despite the fact all the problems brought about where pointed out well in advance by the traders - typically Irish

It was mainly the businesses in the town who called for a one-way system. The actual system itself was devised by local councillors, council staff, local business people and the gardai. All traders had a chance to make submissions to the system before it was fully introduced. So I don't think it's totally fair to lay all blame on the Council and calling for sackings. They have tried to implement something for the good of the town. If it doesn't work out they can always get rid of the one-way system, and at least we could all say they tried to improve things instead of doing nothing.
    Just waiting on the council to finalise the system before it gets printed and it turns out to be wrong if they change it over the summer.
    Yeah they are going to have more public consultations in May. I think the road by the AIB is going to be made two-way again.

It was mainly the businesses in the town who called for a one-way system. The actual system itself was devised by local councillors, council staff, local business people and the gardai. All traders had a chance to make submissions to the system before it was fully introduced. So I don't think it's totally fair to lay all blame on the Council and calling for sackings. They have tried to implement something for the good of the town. If it doesn't work out they can always get rid of the one-way system, and at least we could all say they tried to improve things instead of doing nothing.

It would seem from what you are saying that some traders were in favour of this - this totally contradicts what I have been told but there could have been a 50/50 split for all I know and I may have only heard from the people who are against the system.

From a business perspective I would have thought that ability to be seen and footfall would be all important and anything that would discourage people from either walking or driving past shops would be a negative. If people are not actively encouraged to go up and down the town they won't know whats there, so parking won't matter.

I suppose Tesco are benefitting from the change, it definitely appears to much busier since the one way system was introduced, coincidence
    I wonder.

As I said its very hard to hold the people to account and bad decisions are usually slow and difficult to reverse, I hope this was a good decison for Tramore but I dont find handy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

The last 5 times iv gone down main street there has been a car coming up 4 times haha

It would seem from what you are saying that some traders were in favour of this - this totally contradicts what I have been told but there could have been a 50/50 split for all I know and I may have only heard from the people who are against the system.
    The one-way system was driven primarily by the opinions of the business community who believed lack of parking was a major issue facing their business. The traders who are down business are obviously unhappy with the system, it is very mixed at the moment with some saying it is a disaster and others who think it is okay. It's a shame that it doesn't appear to be working out better. The guy who owns the Carry Out is one of the traders unhappy with the system but I think on WLR he still acknowledged that the one-way system has its merits.

As for drivers, I don't drive myself but the few people I've spoke to about it, again opinion is mixed between "ah sure I'm used to it now" to "i don't like it".

Advertisement