Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some shots from my new 550D

• 09-04-2010 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

Just got my hands on a 550D last weekend and made the most of this evening's sunshine to get a few very basic shots

http://www.chrisdidthis.com/?p=1313

Mainly I was curious about the extra resolution (going from 12 to 18mp) and what it would mean when it came to the very fine detail on my focus plane- would I start to see the edge of the performance of my Canon 70-200 L ? Not a chance; everything looks as sharp at 100% as it did on the smaller res sensor- the second shot down was *very* heavily cropped and still has lots of detail.
    I'm now really excited about the extra resolution and what it'll mean for landscapes :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Just got my hands on a 550D last weekend and made the most of this evening's sunshine to get a few very basic shots

http://www.chrisdidthis.com/?p=1313

Mainly I was curious about the extra resolution (going from 12 to 18mp) and what it would mean when it came to the very fine detail on my focus plane- would I start to see the edge of the performance of my Canon 70-200 L ? Not a chance; everything looks as sharp at 100% as it did on the smaller res sensor- the second shot down was *very* heavily cropped and still has lots of detail.
    I'm now really excited about the extra resolution and what it'll mean for landscapes :cool:

Nice one. I'm thinking about getting one soon as backup. Looks great. Can I ask where you got it and for how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Nice shots. Love your Flickr stream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

Thanks guys; er I bought it in the Camera Shop in Galway; they matched the prices in the retail shops in Dublin (otherwise i'd have hopped on the train for one)- €899 for camera and kit lens (which I didn't want but couldn't find body-only packs anywhere). You can save money online, but I wanted it in a hurry and didn't mind paying a bit more for the sake of shopping local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Technique

What post-processing have you done?

I love the very slightly washed-out look, especially in the third one.

Post processing wise, I added a slight exposure and curve tweak in Lighroom, then desaturated to about -50 or 60 (while at the same time increasing vibrance), warmed up the white balance, pushed the tint a little towards the green...... and that's it really. I was going for a washed out , sun bleached look and hope I got it. My fave colour processing is on the top one, although it was fairly warm and neutral to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

these are great. i got one a few weeks ago but havent been taking full advantage after moving up from a 400d. the only one ive taken that ive been quite happy with is

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25230525@N06/4507946047/sizes/l/

very slight post processing by dropping the clarity is cs4. i feel the 18mp is wasted on my 18-200 sigma lens. is there a good lens youd recomend that would make good use of the 18mp sensor? i mainly do landscapes

Landscape wise sigma do a *stunning* 10-20mm that's just amazing at f8 and f9.... I want to give it a go in some good light and see what it's capable of. It's also a very interesting lens for shooting video on..... you get this big gaping 90 degree field of view that feels like you're playing a first person shooter game when you watch it back :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Landscape wise sigma do a *stunning* 10-20mm that's just amazing at f8 and f9.

This was taken with a Sigma 10-20 at F11. One of my favourite shots
    Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

thanks for the advise lads, that looks just what i was looking for. lovely shot by theway

Advertisement