Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

i need help with a website

• 09-04-2010 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

hey just a quicky how and where can i build a website for my photography is there free ones or do you have to pay thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'll do you one for €1,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭sikahunter

make it 999.99

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

www.wix.com is free, check out www.foreverfaithless.com as an example. If you pay you get rid of the bottom banner - same as everywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

id do one for 200ish but theres good few services u can skin up, bit plain but if ur going for a quick job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Maybe something like smugmug or zenfolio?

• Advertisement

just want some thing showing my pictures showing my work and what i can do that sort of stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

sikahunter wrote: »
    make it 999.99

Done, but VAT not included :)

Seriously, are you any way techy yourself?

Do you need a web site or is it a photo blog that you are after?

Couple of freebies, ad supported stuff like webs.com available

If its a photo blog you are after then I personally like tumblr but blogger and word press are available.

Shutterchance has a one post per day service for free with yourname.shutterchance.com

Word press has plenty of themes and a free service as well as the option of self host / self install (this is where you need to be a little bit techy or have a techy buddy and bribe them with beer or wine if they are sophisticated (lidl brand is usually fine :D).

If doing a local install with a bit of techy knowledge available to you then pixelpost is a popular option - its open source and does a neat job on displaying your images. Has plenty of themes too.

There are plenty of other commercial services like clickpic to research - try a search of the forum. It comes up from time to time ;)

Good luck with it.

Me???? (shhhhhhhh - i'm doing it the long way round by starting from scratch and building my own photoblog software: yeah coding a dynamic content system - lol! you could say its a bit of a project that I have going on for the *fun* of it)

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Done, but VAT not included :)

Seriously, are you any way techy yourself?

Do you need a web site or is it a photo blog that you are after?

Couple of freebies, ad supported stuff like webs.com available

If its a photo blog you are after then I personally like tumblr but blogger and word press are available.

Shutterchance has a one post per day service for free with yourname.shutterchance.com

Word press has plenty of themes and a free service as well as the option of self host / self install (this is where you need to be a little bit techy or have a techy buddy and bribe them with beer or wine if they are sophisticated (lidl brand is usually fine :D).

If doing a local install with a bit of techy knowledge available to you then pixelpost is a popular option - its open source and does a neat job on displaying your images. Has plenty of themes too.

There are plenty of other commercial services like clickpic to research - try a search of the forum. It comes up from time to time ;)

Good luck with it.

Me???? (shhhhhhhh - i'm doing it the long way round by starting from scratch and building my own photoblog software: yeah coding a dynamic content system - lol! you could say its a bit of a project that I have going on for the *fun* of it)

im looking for a webite im no wizz kid but could give it a try

www.wix.com is free, check out www.foreverfaithless.com as an example. If you pay you get rid of the bottom banner - same as everywhere else.

thanks sinister looks good but i cant create one for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Have a look at mine, just click on my banner below. I needed one quick and I got my hands on a template, edited it and linked a gallery to Flickr. Took me about 2 hours

[edit]Scrap that, forgot it leads to flickr, have not changed it yet lol

http://www.DaraRobinson.ie/

PM me and I can give you links and tell you what I did

[/edit]

• Advertisement

Have a look at mine, just click on my banner below. I needed one quick and I got my hands on a template, edited it and linked a gallery to Flickr. Took me about 2 hours

[edit]Scrap that, forgot it leads to flickr, have not changed it yet lol

http://www.DaraRobinson.ie/

PM me and I can give you links and tell you what I did

[/edit]

thats a nice site you have looks nice and clean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭lace

you could always try putting them up somewhere like deviantart.com. it's not ideal, but at least it's simple. webs is nice and simple too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I could put together a portfolio site for you (that you could easily update without going into the coding) for €80-€120 - PM sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭32finn

+1 for wix.com. i set up this one http://www.wix.com/leskelly/photography , for free and it was fairly easy to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

32finn wrote: »
    +1 for wix.com. i set up this one http://www.wix.com/leskelly/photography , for free and it was fairly easy to do.

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but A) that site is in flash. And B) I'd need atleast a 1980x1080 px screen to view it and it's all just dumped on one page...

As far as usability goes this site is very low down..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Why has nobody suggested wordpress?
    I know it's not technically a portfolio site, but if you got creative with pages and utilized some Jalbum or something similar, you could do it easily for under a tenner. Lots of YouTube video tutorials for WP too.

I use it for my one (granted it's not a port. site) but it ridiculously easy to use and no hosting charges!

i,ve been messing with wix it looks good all i need to do is get out and get some nice pix to ad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but A) that site is in flash. And B) I'd need atleast a 1980x1080 px screen to view it and it's all just dumped on one page...

As far as usability goes this site is very low down..

I can understand the usability argument but the flash argument. I don't see where you're coming from there. Flash can be annoying when used ineffectively but subtly it can be quite effective. Personally Flash means that you can't right click and save the image and if you upload lo res photos to start with anyone that does a print screen will get lo-res photos. I think flash is fine personally, its a matter of opinion.

OP download a template and have a crack yourself, there are loads of tutorials online to help and the web development forum on boards here can be very helpful too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

stick-dan wrote: »
    I can understand the usability argument but the flash argument. I don't see where you're coming from there. Flash can be annoying when used ineffectively but subtly it can be quite effective. Personally Flash means that you can't right click and save the image and if you upload lo res photos to start with anyone that does a print screen will get lo-res photos. I think flash is fine personally, its a matter of opinion.

OP download a template and have a crack yourself, there are loads of tutorials online to help and the web development forum on boards here can be very helpful too.

Flash just seems pointless, you could do a much better site in xhtml which wouldn't need to load, and you could just embed two flash slideshows.. There are plenty of sites that require and look better with flash, but this site(and a majority on wix) are just pointless there's no benefit to them being flash..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

I would recommend http://www.bludomain.com/ where our site comes from. Very easy to edit too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement