Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light bulb query.

Options
  • 09-04-2010 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Hi ,just got some new lamps put up that have a 75W max.

If I use the energy effecient bulbs ,can I increase the wattage.
    I.e. 60W = 100W ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you can increase the lumens with energy saving bulbs instead of incandescent

but don't exceed the specified wattage

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

in theory yes because cfls produce less heat than normal incandescent lamps the wattage refers to the low energy wattage use in comparison to its incandescent equivalent for the same light output. but dont exceed the 75w in low energy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

the wattage is limited to 75w

but the max lumens is higher with energy saver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭gu10

the max wattage specified by a lamp refers to the actual power consumed by the bulb - not equivalent incandescent. so a 75w lamp can hold a 75 watt incandescent, cfl, or LED (if you can find one) the restriction is there because normal bulbs give off a lot of heat, and also the current going through the wires & fitting - only about 3% gets converted to light, the rest goes to heating up the surroundings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Thanks for the replies ,I ended up getting some 100W (20W) philips soft tones , I like the whiteness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement