Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of doing Actuary in UCD?

Options
  • 09-04-2010 9:27pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm in 6th year, fairly set on doing Actuary but unsure if I want to do it in UCD or DCU.

I know the advice may be a bit biased in the UCD forum, but I want to know what advantages the UCD course has over the DCU course? I live in Dundalk, so location-wise, DCU is easier but seeing as I plan to stay in accommodation either way it's not a huge deciding factor.

I heard that DCU is more maths-based, whereas UCD is more business-orientated - is there any truth to this?

Is UCD a better course than DCU, and if so, why?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Since being accredited buy the Society, you can now gain an extra exemption in UCD (for the CA1 professional exam).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

I don't know much about the DCU course but as the previous poster said if you're going to become a fully qualified actuary the accreditation means you can bypass most of the exams and therefore qualify quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

There are 3 pure maths modules in 1st year, Linear Algebra and Geometry, Numbers and Functions and Differential and Integral Calculus, and 3 stats modules, 2 economics and 2 computer programming modules.

From 2nd yr on it's more statistics and economics and thats when the Actuarial Maths modules begin (so I hear, I'm in 1st year now)

Plus UCD is just cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

UCD>DCU

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Sean_K wrote: »
    Since being accredited buy the Society, you can now gain an extra exemption in UCD (for the CA1 professional exam).

According to the UCD website, you only get exempted from the CT1-8 exams (the same as DCU). Is it true that UCD offers the CA1 as well, thus making it 9 exemptions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

According to the UCD website, you only get exempted from the CT1-8 exams (the same as DCU). Is it true that UCD offers the CA1 as well, thus making it 9 exemptions?

Yes.

Advertisement