Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A new low in motoring

• 09-04-2010 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

Was driving home today. when I saw a car stuck on the other side of the road. Single lane traffic both ways (no hard shoulder, urban setting) so there was quite a queue forming behind the car. Thought to myself 'some poor fecker's broken down there and it's gonna cause chaos'

Low and behold, got up close and noticed that a woman had stopped her car in the middle of the road, with the engine running blocking the street in order to send a text message :eek:

There was absolute chaos behind, drivers blowing their horns at her etc. One man got out of his car and approached the car (assuming he was gonna tell her to cop on but with more swear words) when the woman in the stationary car could be seen to calmly put her phone away and continue on her merry way completely unphased by her act of complete stupidity

Driving around Dublin usually depresses me as the standard of driving is so appalling but this act of utter stupidity and selfishness shocked even me.

I give up, I really do :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭RobertM

Can't find the words to reply to this really :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Was driving home today. when I saw a car stuck on the other side of the road. Single lane traffic both ways (no hard shoulder, urban setting) so there was quite a queue forming behind the car. Thought to myself 'some poor fecker's broken down there and it's gonna cause chaos'

Low and behold, got up close and noticed that a woman had stopped her car in the middle of the road, with the engine running blocking the street in order to send a text message :eek:

There was absolute chaos behind, drivers blowing their horns at her etc. One man got out of his car and approached the car (assuming he was gonna tell her to cop on but with more swear words) when the woman in the stationary car could be seen to calmly put her phone away and continue on her merry way completely unphased by her act of complete stupidity

Driving around Dublin usually depresses me as the standard of driving is so appalling but this act of utter stupidity and selfishness shocked even me.

I give up, I really do :mad:
    If that guy got there 15 seconds earlier.
    "Awh f**k U, its a free f******g cntry, I cn do wha I f*****g like"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

lolz

**** this, texting is a life or death situation man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Atleast she wasn't texting while driving...

Actually, speaking on the phone while driving is bad, texting while driving is realllly bad but doing your make up while driving is alrite?!

I've seen loads and loads of women doing their make up while driving. Its a very common site during the morning rush hour time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭T83

3 times in the last two weeks alone I've had to pause behind a car stopped in the middle of the road (her own lane obviously, not dead centre), let the other lane pass then overtake while a giant queue formed behind me... first two times I thought to myself "Oh she must have stalled" by the third time I knew before looking that this jackass had just stopped to talk on the phone.

Three different people btw, same stretch of road. I applaud anyone who pulls in to answer the phone, but the middle of the f**king road is just a tad 'special' no?

• Advertisement

^could they not just turn on the loudspeaker on the phone and continue driving?
    Thats what I do. Works just like a handsfree kit! Only difference is the "kit"'s on your lap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭T83

^could they not just turn on the loudspeaker on the phone and continue driving?
    Thats what I do. Works just like a handsfree kit! Only difference is the "kit"'s on your lap!

Thats probably too easy a solution for them... I do the same even though I shouldnt since I notice myself getting distracted just pressing loudspeaker. Surely they cant hear the person on the other end anyway what with all the horns blowing from behind them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

See, being on a bike enables me to lift up my left leg and remove her wing mirror which would hopefully make her notice how inconsiderate she is being to other road users.

Not that I'd ever do anything like that.

<_<

>_>

^I though you were gonna say being a biker enables you to lift up your leg and pee on her tire...

.............. :pac:

^I though you were gonna say being a biker enables you to lift up your leg and pee on her tire...

.............. :pac:

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

She was probably stopped in the middle of the road on her mobile phone because of some problem with her car that was preventing her from moving along. Engine running does not imply all is ok.

JHMEG wrote: »
    She was probably stopped in the middle of the road on her mobile phone because of some problem with her car that was preventing her from moving along. Engine running does not imply all is ok.

She wouldn't sit there with the engine running if there was some other problem with the car.

edit: nevermind logic, read the OP FFS
    calmly put her phone away and continue on her merry way completely unphased by her act of complete stupidity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

would you really send a text if there was something wrong with your car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its a bit like taxi drivers who just stop anywhere and expect everyone else to wait behind them, instead of pulling in at better location.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Piratez

RobertM wrote: »
    Can't find the words to reply to this really :eek:

Same here im shocked :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

would you really send a text if there was something wrong with your car?

Maybe she had no credit and was sending a 'call me' and then all of a sudden the car started working again? :D

Heh, why am I trying to defend this stupid woman! :)

KamiKazi wrote: »
    She wouldn't sit there with the engine running if there was some other problem with the car.

edit: nevermind logic, read the OP FFS

I know someone who recently was in the exact same position because his auto box wouldn't engage any gear. He was trying to find the mechanic's number in his phone (not texting) while a queue of tools built up behind him blowing their horns. Despite the fact he had the hazards on.

Do you really think someone would stop in the middle of traffic to send a txt? Jebus...:rolleyes: The amount of naivety around here is startling at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

JHMEG wrote: »
    I know someone who recently was in the exact same position because his auto box wouldn't engage any gear. He was trying to find the mechanic's number in his phone (not texting) while a queue of tools built up behind him blowing their horns. Despite the fact he had the hazards on.

Do you really think someone would stop in the middle of traffic to send a txt? Jebus...:rolleyes: The amount of naivety around here is startling at times.
    Nobody said anything about hazards being on (in this instance) - I think it would be different it it were the case.

cadaliac wrote: »
    Nobody said anything about hazards being on (in this instance) - I think it would be different it it were the case.

Didn't stop a pile of tools behind him from thinking he was texting. So why would it be any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Deeda77

Did the OP say she calmly put down her fone and drove away? (on her merry way, i believe!) This wud suggest the car was fine, she was just an inconsiderate so-n-so. No excuse necessary me thinks....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Deeda77

Sorry, that was meant 2 say 'didnt the OP say....' Mobile typing, ppff.... :-D

Advertisement