Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job application

Options
  • 09-04-2010 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone here is aware of the process for declarations in job applications.

For example, if an application includes the statement:

"I am not currently nor have I ever been under investigation by the Garda Siochana in relation to the commission of a crime"

What happens if you have been under investigation?

Can your prospective employers force you to declare the nature investigation? Even if the person was found to be completely innocent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Moved from PI.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭anomalous

is it on record that you were investigated or just in some guarda's notebook in a storeroom somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

hummer22 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anyone here is aware of the process for declarations in job applications.

For example, if an application includes the statement:

"I am not currently nor have I ever been under investigation by the Garda Siochana in relation to the commission of a crime"

What happens if you have been under investigation?

Can your prospective employers force you to declare the nature investigation? Even if the person was found to be completely innocent?

sorry, what's difficult about this? the question is have you been under investigation. it's either a 'yes' (as far as you can tell) or 'no' as far as you can tell.

What happens it up to the employer. If it's a yes, personally I would bin your application and go with someone who didn't have such an issue.

Or just lie and say 'no'.

My brother said he had no convictions at one stage, turned out he did and his employer found out about it. So best to be HONEST

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was seeking a more legal opinion, rather than "I would bin your application", just because someone has been investigated for a crime, does not mean they have a conviction, or the complaint held any water.

I would have no problem stating "yes"

I am wondering if anyone here actually knows if that can be used against you in the application process.

The information surrounding the investigation would be available to Gardai on file.

Advertisement