Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Home

• 09-04-2010 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Anyone any experience in buying a house which needs "modernisation" . Have a good builder I personally know who is giving what sounds like good advice but hope hes not giving himself business at my expense. Any advice from experience appreciated. House costing 280 allowing 20k to make it liveable and 30k to finish it off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well just to put it in perspective, I bought my house over 12 years ago @ 151.000punts...All I had was 20k to put it right. Did most of work myself, plus got lads from site who I worked with to do favours for favours. I did it for the 20k. So your not doing to bad....

I more or less gutted mine, well all walls re-plastered, all new frames, architrave,doors, bathroom, kitchen. re-wire. Kept the heating at the time. moved a few radiators. Did painting myself. So your not getting a bad deal actually....My house was built in or around 1939's....how old is yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

chatz wrote: »
    Anyone any experience in buying a house which needs "modernisation" . Have a good builder I personally know who is giving what sounds like good advice but hope hes not giving himself business at my expense. Any advice from experience appreciated. House costing 280 allowing 20k to make it liveable and 30k to finish it off.

It depends very much on what it is you're planning to do! Perhaps you could give a basic description of the house and a list of the work you'd be getting done for 20 or 30k

Advertisement