Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat moulting

Options
  • 09-04-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Is it normal for cats to lose a lot of hair at this time of year? I can pull literally fistfuls of hair off my cats coat at the moment, they come away instantly, but there's no bald patches or anything.. He's a regular domestic short hair. I don't remember it being like this last year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

It is, our three are moulting like crazy at the moment too, shedding their winter coats. It's pain in the backside. Ours are shorthaired, but one of them has a very dense coat and no matter where he sits there seems to be a ring of hair when he gets ups again. Another two weeks though and it should be done, thank marmalade from bagless hoovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Make sure to groom them daily, so they're not ingesting all that hair when they're cleaning themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I've only recently started grooming my two cats daily and the amount of hair I'm getting is unreal! No wonder it's all over the house!

They didn't like it to start but now I can just tap the brush on the top of their big scratcher and they take turns to jump up for a brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

oh good, thanks, thought it might be a health issue. i brush him several times a day anyway because he loves it, if you brush the bed or something he gallops from the other side of the house because he hears the noise, and if the brush is on the floor he tries to rub his face off it but it keeps sliding :)
    hope the hairy days are over soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Our cat was also doing the annual hair shedding . . . we actually bought her a brush with the little wire hairs a few weekends ago. It's great because you can easily pull out the hairs after brushing, and she absolutely loves it. I can hold the brush out and she'll walk back and forth against it, essentially doing all of the work!

• Advertisement
Advertisement