Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to begin.

Options
  • 09-04-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    My 13yr old son was given a rod and reel by his uncle last year.We got some gear and have spent pointless hours at Blessington lake.I brought him to Rathbeggan to catch his first.It has really given him a taste for fishing.Sadly for him his dad hasn't a clue.
    Can someone, any one, offer us some advice on where to head?What gear to use, spinners,bait etc?We are in Dub 24.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Sorry i dont have a clue about either of the places you mentioned so dont know whats in them or how to go about catching them.

Its always good to see a youngfella take up the sport though and its best he does so with the right guidance (respect for the fish etc.)

Have a read of this first and get back to us with any more questions and we'll try and get you (and him!) sorted. :D

See here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Not much good to you but there is a place in Cork where you can go to learn how to fish and fly fish, they run day and weekend courses. There maybe something similar where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

head down the dodder and try catch some trout. if you walk around the back of bushy park you will see lots of fish swimming about. you could also head down to the dropping well pub in dartry and fish about there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Nozebleed wrote: »
    head down the dodder and try catch some trout. if you walk around the back of bushy park you will see lots of fish swimming about. you could also head down to the dropping well pub in dartry and fish about there.

Not a great idea for a beginner as he will see plenty of fish(you see them, they see you) and find it very hard to catch any. this would put a beginner off fishing and brownies are hard to get at the best of times.

D.Craftsman, PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Maybe take him down to one of the stockie lakes (fisheries).. try rathbeggan http://www.rathbegganlakes.com/ i reckon that would be a good intro, should be able to pick up a few tips up there etc... its just off the m50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

flanum wrote: »
    Maybe take him down to one of the stockie lakes (fisheries).. try rathbeggan http://www.rathbegganlakes.com/ i reckon that would be a good intro, should be able to pick up a few tips up there etc... its just off the m50.

Just off the N3 you mean. 20 min drive from M50:)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭patakadarragh

Try maybe get him into fly fishing....ballyhass lakes near mallow do beginners courses...i did one when i started...it was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭ravey

We are doing evening casting and "Fishing" instruction and if you arrive down and mention Boards, youll get a fiver off! :D Thats at Rathbeggan.
    New motorway is about to open so directions are changing by the day! Just follow the signs for Ratoath and Trim and then stick on the old N3
    Any probs just call on 01 8240197:)

Advertisement