Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously thinking of making the ''big switch''.

Options
  • 09-04-2010 11:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Purely for health reasons tbh.

I'm a meat lover, but meat makes up a huge % of my bad eating habits. If I take away the meat, I take away pretty much everything unhealthy about my diet.

So I think I may give vegetarianism a go for a week or two and see how I get on. At the moment it's pretty inconceivable going without meat for more than a day, let alone a week!

I was just wondering what kind of meals the average veggie would have on a day to day basis?

Ta very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Well depends on the person's tastes but we're a pretty adventerous lot it seems ;)

Today I had:
    two eggs scrambled,
    banana

roll with mozzarella, basil, tomato, some gerkins on the side (nom nom vinegary), apple

sweet potato wedges, spicy bean wrap, homemade yoghurt/cucumber/red onion/chive dip

Plus enough coffee to fuel a small nation.

Yesterday:
    porridge with walnuts and raisins

onion bajji toastie, side salad, chips

cauliflower cheese, colcannon and quorn sausages.

Cutting down is always easier than cutting out fully straight away, more likely to succeed that way. Even if you don't become fully veg, a few meals without meat, or smaller portions of meat is a really positive step to take. It's easy to be an unhealthy vegetarian, most nice things are veggie: most chocolate/sweets/crisps/booze/chips... easy to substitute bad things for other, equally bad things. Good luck anyway, pick things and flavours you like, and just stick them all together, usually works for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

+1 on wraps. refried beans (homemade or from a tin) and vegetables make this a fabulous, easy and tastey meal.

And +1 on taking it slow. I made a slow transition between veggie and vegan over 3 or 4 months and it made it so much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

Hi there,

I just wanted to say that it's not difficult to be veggie, you will manage fine! When I ate meat, I realised the best things about the meat I was eating was the way it was prepared - the spices, and the accompanying sauces and vegetables....... all of which were vegetarian! There really aren't many meat products that I miss the taste of really.

There's so much stuff you can eat as a veggie. I'm a vegan but I still manage to eat pizzas (with refried beans instead of cheese), tofu and veggie burgers (or make your own!), chilli NON carne, vegetable fajitas, chickpea curries, huge salads (love experimenting with various ingredients and homemade dressings), falafels, soups, and veggie grilled breakfasts consisting of tofu sausages, potato waffles & beans, and things like stir fries.... oh god there's so much I can hardly even put any coherent order to any of this :rolleyes: I eat lots of dark chocolate, love berries and porridge with soya milk in the mornings, and I love nuts and seeds as snacks, and Hartleys do nice veggie jelly with pectin as the gelling agent for a nice treat, with raspberries in them :). And if you love asian food get yourself to an asian supermarket and go wild and experiment with various things! Also, Quorn is great for vegetarians, so many different things you can get. Look in the refrigerated sections in health food shops as well for Clives Pies, they are GORGEOUS.

Damn, if I was a veggie instead of a vegan I'd have so much more to eat, but I can still eat so many things as a vegan, it's surprising. but I don't even miss cheese or meat now.

and remember - if you're doing it for health reasons no need to beat yourself up if you occasionally slip up. If you're veggie 99% of the time then that's cool. I freely admit that I am vegan for health reasons, I just think that it is best for my health, the environment and animals if I adopt this way of life... but sometimes I do allow myself the odd thing with butter or milk in it. It's quite a rare occurrence and I always make sure it's made organically or is homemade (or if a friend makes it and doesn't realise it's not actually vegan - feel so rude refusing when someone's gone to such lengths to please me)... so yes, just give it a go and see how you do. :)

Advertisement