Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant get my deposit back

Options
  • 09-04-2010 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Advice please.Last year my house was damaged due to flooding.We were told we would have to move out for 7wks.Through a pal,i got the number of a women who had a premises to rent short term.Made contact with her and agreed to pay 3000e and a 1400e deposit for the 7wks.Our house was finished in 5 wks and we moved straight back in.Informed the landlord of this and requested my deposit back.She told me that she would get the bills sent to her for the time we were in the house and as she lived in spain it would take about 2 wks which i agreed to.I heard nothing for 4wks and rang her back.Was told that the gas bill alone was approx 500e which i disputed and asked for a copy to be sent to me.Again heard nothing and could not make contact with her,up until today.when i asked for my deposit back. She informed me that after i left the house had flooded and as i was the last one there i was responsible and she was waiting for a full report from her plumber.She also informed me that for my 5wks stay we had run up gas and electric bills of approx 800e.At this stage i flipped and demanded my deposit back as id been out of the house for 4 months....she hung up.What next?Can i sue?Who should i see for the best advice?If i did sue would i be intitled to damages?Would my costs be covered?My big problem is i have no address for her in spain as all our contact was over the phone and internet.Look forward to reading any replies.thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Surely this would be more appropriate in the accomodation/property thread?

They could probably answer it better over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭unir1916

mods please feel free to move if in wrong section

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dunno if you can sue, I think you have to go through the PRTB for this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Whenever I move into or leave a house I take photos of everything and note all meter readings. Learnt to do this the hard way, like you unfortunately. Once someone has your cash it can be damn hard to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,364 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

Advertisement