Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Query

• 10-04-2010 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭

Hi. Currently very dissatisfied at the moment. I have a broadband package with UPC where I am supposed to be getting up to 15mb. At the moment I've been getting 2-3.5mb after doing a bucket load of tests.
    Downloading something now and its going at 55kbps. Whats the deal?
    Should I ring them and ask whats the dick? or am I to say nothing and hope it gets better?
    I know about contention ratios and all that jazz so don't sugar coat it! :p
    Regards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Contention ratios would have nothing to do with you getting speeds like that, unless you were on a massively contended line.
    Which is unlikely.

There are however dozens of different things on yourside, and on UPC's side that could cause it, so you really need to give more information.

Is it a cabled or wireless connection.
    Is it a desktop or laptop.
    Are you using a USB adapter.
    Have you tested a cabled connection if it is wireless.

There are loads of things like I said.

I'm guessing since you have the 15MB that you have wireless.
    So 99/100 it's a wireless issue.
    Anything from interfeerence on the wireless channel that your router is broadcasting on, to the network card on your computer neededing it's drivers updated.
    Also the Cisco modem supplied by UPC is "fun" to be diplomatic about it.

Advertisement