Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick to Cork

• 10-04-2010 1:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I'm planning to cycle from Limerick to Cork and trying to figure out the route. Can I cycle on the bypass onto the Cork road? I know its 120km but not sure if its a motorway. If not any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@Bould.
    I don't know but why would you need to.

Cycle out toward Emily, Killmallock, Charleville, backroad to Dromina Kanturk. Onto Naad then down to Blarney.
    The main LimkCork road and bypass have Mroad status on some parts of the road. Very heavy truck traffic. Why bother.
    Would be a nice cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

The main road into Limerick within a few miles of the city has recently been upgraded to a motorway

Whatever route you go, avoid the main limerick-cork road. The part north of charleville is awful, one of the few roads I would be genuinely afraid to cycle on. Narrow, twisty and lots of speeding motorists. For some reason the standard of driving on it is woeful. Oh, and then there's the experimental 2+1 layout between Mallow and cork, with no hard shoulder and a wire crash barrier in the middle of the road. You mightn't die but you sure won't enjoy the cycle if you go that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Cheers lads,
    @ROK, I'm going to take half your route in the morning, Ballyneety, Bruff, Kilmallock... then go past Ballyhoura (they'd never let me in on the road bike:rolleyes:) Mitchelstown, old road to Cork.

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/route/ie/cork/682127102500144027

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GearoidP

Bould,

I found this route pretty darn good:

Limerick - Patrickswell - Bruff - Kilfinane - Killavullen - Ardpatrick - Grenagh - Courtbrack - Blarney - Cork.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=RrzKj&page_id=113330&v=5T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

may have to do this soon.......what route did you end up taking and how long? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Whatever route you go, avoid the main limerick-cork road. The part north of charleville is awful, one of the few roads I would be genuinely afraid to cycle on. Narrow, twisty and lots of speeding motorists. For some reason the standard of driving on it is woeful. Oh, and then there's the experimental 2+1 layout between Mallow and cork, with no hard shoulder and a wire crash barrier in the middle of the road. You mightn't die but you sure won't enjoy the cycle if you go that way.

As someone who drives from Cork to Limerick and back twice a week, the man is correct. Kilmallock to Mitchelstown, or Fermoy, is a nice alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

As someone who drives from Cork to Limerick and back twice a week, the man is correct. Kilmallock to Mitchelstown, or Fermoy, is a nice alternative.

thanks.....know the area well, am originally from cork and used to work in mallow. Just wondering if anyone here has taken the alt route and roughly how long it takes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

I've cycled this route many times, though usually in the other direction. To avoid the motorway coming out of Limerick, just take the old N20 through Patrickswell. The main Limerick-Cork road certainly isn't the nicest cycling road in the country but I wouldn't go so far as to say it was dangerous. Do keep well in on the 2+1 section though.

That said, with time on my hands I would take the slightly longer route via Caherconlish, Hospital, Knocklong, Mitchelstown, Fermoy, Rathcormac, Watergrasshill. The scenery is much better than on the main Limerick-Cork road and because the M8 Dublin-Cork route is now fully open, you'll have the old N8 all to yourself once you get to Mitchelstown.

Advertisement