Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone to be available on 3 / Meteor

Options
  • 10-04-2010 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

So its here the Iphone is on the brink of launching on the 3 network.

Apprently 3 are giving them to some customers (not in store) but their business & retension's team's are giving them to customers.

My guess it to test the handset on the network and see how it performs.
    Will be nice to have the phone on an all 3G network.
    Well for those of you who arnt confined to a WIFI environment from 9-5
    Tagged:

Comments

I've heard this from a colleague today....time to call in my upgrade....or do I wait for the X10?

Decisions, decisions....

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Meteors Business and Retention team are also offering the iphone to customers. I doubt its to test them on the network but more so to encourage customers to stay instead of porting to Vodafone for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭donkey balls

im just after speaking to there customer svcs they will be doing the 16gb for 80e and the 32gb for 160e, im a nokia man at heart but they dont seem to have any thing to out do the n97 at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The N900 outclasses the N97 and the iPhone ;)

The N900 outclasses the N97 and the iPhone ;)

yeah i know that three said that they dont know wether the n900 will released

• Advertisement

yeah i know that three said that they dont know wether the n900 will released
    At the moment the only network still selling the N900 is o2. Vodafone was selling it up to last week but I don't know what happened to it as it's been removed from their website. Three's phone selection is pretty dire regardless.

im just after speaking to there customer svcs they will be doing the 16gb for 80e and the 32gb for 160e, im a nokia man at heart but they dont seem to have any thing to out do the n97 at present.

Just been on to 3 Upgrades team. They're offering the iPhone (Band C upgrade) for €129/16G and €229/32G. They're bundling the 1GB data free (normally 9.99 p/m) and double units for 6 months too. There seems to be a waiting list too as I've been told I have to wait on a managers' approval on Monday.

Conditions are you're agreeing to an 18-month contract, as opposed to 12 and you must be in a full 3G coverage area.
    Oh and you need to have iTunes.....is there a smiley for the phrase 'nnn-DUH!'

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

I wonder if this will force o2 and Vodafone to review their rates in Ireland? :D

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    I wonder if this will force o2 and Vodafone to review their rates in Ireland? :D
    Probably not unless three decide to release the iPhone on Relax 90 which would probably get them a hell of a lot of new subscribers and people porting over to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

3 have blocked Skype on the iphone.They need to fix that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

i went into Three store today as i am a Vodafone customer whos contracts has expired. I am shopping around at the moment but there was no mention of the iphone to me. the best they could do was offer me a Nokia E63. Dont know if i'll change over yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've moved your thread to this (Apple Media Devices) forum and I've changed the title. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

alitoast wrote: »
    i went into Three store today as i am a Vodafone customer whos contracts has expired. I am shopping around at the moment but there was no mention of the iphone to me. the best they could do was offer me a Nokia E63. Dont know if i'll change over yet.

Thats because it's currently only available to upgrade customers as is stated earlier in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Walkman wrote: »
    Thats because it's currently only available to upgrade customers as is stated earlier in this thread

So is this true?

When is the offical launch to the general public?

Might give them a call tomorrow and upgrade earlier so the 18 months runs into my normal upgrade time frame?

Interesting so all providers will have it in the market, surley that will be a first?

I just called Three today and they confirmed that the iPhone will be for sale by them fairly soon. I personally think they are going to release it alongside a few Android phones as they have also confirmed that the Xperia X10 is due to be released on the 3rd of May. Meteor seem to be just giving iPhones for customer retention as they still are adamant they have no plans to release the iPhone.

Meteor seem to be just giving iPhones for customer retention as they still are adamant they have no plans to release the iPhone.

So if 3 release I think they will have little choice?

I'm guessing that if they are already giving them to existing customers then they have to have an agreement with Apple.

We'll see soon enough so, thanks for the heads up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

the X10 is out within the next two weeks. The iphone won't be available for new customers until the second half of this year, probably August

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Walkman wrote: »
    the X10 is out within the next two weeks. The iphone won't be available for new customers until the second half of this year, probably August

So does that mean the 4g iPhone will be available from 3 at their official launch?( assuming the 4g will be announced in June )

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Might give them a call tomorrow and upgrade earlier so the 18 months runs into my normal upgrade time frame?

Careful here, with 3, when you upgrade you're agreeing to a new contract beginning from the END of your CURRENT contract....

...and speaking of which I've just agreed to same and will have my iPhone on Wednesday. Hopefully it too will be unlocked!
    Now to organise my insurance for the iPhone....

• Registered Users Posts: 44 andrewshawire

Iv just seen this on tv. meteor ar offering 250mb and free txts when you top up with €20 per month,

I think I will be doing this with my jb 3g unkocked on meteor. would help with all the backround data useage when im not on wi fi at home.
    here is a link http://www.meteor.ie/plans/pay_as_you_go/#plans-tab

What do you think, good move or is there a better package you are using within this price.

Andy

• Advertisement

3 have blocked Skype on the iphone.They need to fix that.

if they dont have skype on it i wont be getting one also the customer svcs people told me that there only giving them out to there biz customers at present i spend about 1000e a year with them i wonder would i manage to get one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Was on to three today. When you talk to customer care you need to ask them for the iphone they will not offer it to you. On relax 350 the prices I was quoted were 129 for the 16gb and 229 for the 32gb. Apparently they need to ensure that you have suitably good 3g reception, rang this morning expect a call back tomorrow.
    In store they are talking about a June general release, but because its 3 will probably be July
    When I hear back from them I will post more info

Iv just seen this on tv. meteor ar offering 250mb and free txts when you top up with €20 per month,

I think I will be doing this with my jb 3g unkocked on meteor. would help with all the backround data useage when im not on wi fi at home.

What do you think, good move or is there a better package you are using within this price.

Andy

Hold on a while...3 are re-launching the PAYG prop at the end of this month with a similar offer...I also believe that O2 are heading the same way...

Another option - a low bill-pay package with a data add-on. You can get them SIM-only now so you're not tied in for 12/18 months.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

if they dont have skype on it i wont be getting one also the customer svcs people told me that there only giving them out to there biz customers at present i spend about 1000e a year with them i wonder would i manage to get one of them

You could ask for a full stop or a comma......;)

whiterebel wrote: »
    You could ask for a full stop or a comma......;)

.... ,,,,

Careful here, with 3, when you upgrade you're agreeing to a new contract beginning from the END of your CURRENT contract....

...and speaking of which I've just agreed to same and will have my iPhone on Wednesday. Hopefully it too will be unlocked!
    Now to organise my insurance for the iPhone....

Seems like your right, thanks for the heads up and based on that info they will not upgrade for another 4 months, which is fair enough.

I'm not too pushed at the moment, see whats happens down the road.

Would like to hear back users feed back with using it on the 3 network? Thanks

How have 3 gone about blocking Skype on the iphone? If you stick another sim in it, will it work then or is the block actually software loaded onto the actual handset, and not the SIM?

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Seems like your right, thanks for the heads up and based on that info they will not upgrade for another 4 months, which is fair enough.

I'm not too pushed at the moment, see whats happens down the road.

Would like to hear back users feed back with using it on the 3 network? Thanks

No problem. Will report back when I've compared mine with my mates' on O2 and Vodafone.
    cojomo2 wrote: »
    How have 3 gone about blocking Skype on the iphone? If you stick another sim in it, will it work then or is the block actually software loaded onto the actual handset, and not the SIM?

I'm not sure how this is on the phone but I know my sis has d/l'd an app for skype onto hers'. The downside to that is that it will use the data allowance rather than the free connection that 3 allows through its' network. Will report back tomorrow...3 may have to yet produce an application specifically for the iPhone, not all the 3 handsets have skype either.

Oh ok...but you can still download Skype from the app store on a 3 iphone and use it with no problems? Don't mind the fact the data comes from your allowance, as long as it isn't blocked as someone else here has claimed..

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Andy

o2's PAYG isn't too different to that already. €20 top up gets you free texts and 50MB is 99c a day.

Advertisement