Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

we do not recognise the bible as a valid historical factual book

• 10-04-2010 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

With our Mod's permission I would like to propose a new rule for the A+A charter.

In the A+A forum we do not recognise the bible as a valid historical factual book, and as such any quotations used to prove it's authenticity in a discussion are not valid.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Is that not a bit obvious though?

Surely if people thought the bible was an accurate representation of events they would be theists?

I'm not sure what the second part of that sentence means...using the bible as the source of evidence for the validity of the bible is something that theists do quite a lot but it doesn't take long for them to realise the futility of that particular line of "reasoning" (and I highlight the inverted commas), especially in this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

Surely if people thought the bible was an accurate representation of events they would be theists?

I'm not sure what the second part of that sentence means...using the bible as the source of evidence for the validity of the bible is something that theists do quite a lot but it doesn't take long for them to realise the futility of that particular line of "reasoning" (and I highlight the inverted commas), especially in this forum.

It is very obvious, but it is meant for certain people who would not be able to clog our forum up with biblical quotations as proof of religion and god for the point they were trying to make.

IE they will have to reason with us without using the bible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It should be obvious, but it happens repeatedly. It bugs me only indirectly, the number of threads that get clogged up with biblical quotes that don't contribute to the discussion. I wouldn't support any kind of penalty for it, I just think it's just worth reminding scripture quoters that they're losing their audience when they do that.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

It is very obvious, but it is meant for certain people who would not be able to clog our forum up with biblical quotations as proof of religion and god for the point they were trying to make.

Judging by your usual bluster around the place I'm not going to be very expectant, but could you show evidence that this forum is being 'clogged' with people 'using the bible as proof of religion'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I disagree. Why prevent theists (Christians in this case), from posting bible verses? It was Bible verses that cemented my disbelief in the Christian God.

Why so confrontational all the time Erren? Take a step back and think about what you are trying to accomplish (if anything) man, and question wether the way you go about it is the right way to accomplish that.

Rather than try to prevent theists from putting forward thier responses as they see fit, you should choose to address the points they bring up. There are plenty of holes to be picked in the Bible, if that is what you want to do. But suggesting we should censor anyone putting forward an argument that they see as valid is a hideous and counterproductive concept as far as I'm concerned.

TL;DR Version:

Dude, be cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

To a theist the bible IS a valid source of information and/or evidence - that atheists and agnostics choose to dismiss it as valid or it doesn't satisfy the criterion that you and I apply to evidence doesn't make it so universally.

Besides, I rather like witnessing the slow dawning of realisation as to why the mighty biblical quotations they came swinging in with mean precisely zip. :D
    bnt wrote: »
    It should be obvious, but it happens repeatedly. It bugs me only indirectly, the number of threads that get clogged up with biblical quotes that don't contribute to the discussion. I wouldn't support any kind of penalty for it, I just think it's just worth reminding scripture quoters that they're losing their audience when they do that.

I don't really see the difference between a christian or whatever religious person quoting their holy book as evidence and it being picked apart the same way any scientific paper would be - you have to remember that theists don't see their holy books in the same way we do, they think they ARE evidence, ARE true...some even think the world was built in a few days a few thousand years ago, you think a general ban on biblical quotations due to lack of supporting evidence is going to wash?! :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I can see your point that if someone just keeps posting biblical responses as proof of something it would get annoying. I dont think it would need new rules for it though as its just refusing to discuss or debate anything. Anyways it doesnt happen very often, usually because of the appropriate level of levity it brings at the poster's expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Lets create a new rule while we're at it, night follows day.
    Naturally those people who say its day follows night have no place here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

It's valid for atheists if we want to understand 2000 years of Christianity; I don't think a blanket proposal of 'invalid' reflects the true educational value of the bible in understanding civilisations and religions, regardless of its veracity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

With our Mod's permission I would like to propose a new rule for the A+A charter.

In the A+A forum we do not recognise the bible as a valid historical factual book, and as such any quotations used to prove it's authenticity in a discussion are not valid.
    [...personal remark deleted...]

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Rev, that's shockingly discriminatory to both Twilightangilists and Dawnologists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Zillah wrote: »
    Do [...]?

Whoa, i don't like this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Freedom of speech includes the freedom to advance banal arguments.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

As the Mad Hatter says, people are free to produce pretty much any argument they want to around these parts -- good, bad and indifferent.

If the argument is bad, then that will do little to advance the cause or reputation of the poster, and that applies to atheists with bad arguments just as much as it does to religious posters with bad arguments.

But what about the east V west factions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Bad idea IMO for two reasons.

1) The inevitable "We'rebeing oppressed!" reaction, which would be somewhat justified.

2) Why bar them from using a debating style? If we're so confident taht we are right we should be able to reasonabnly dismantle anything they throw at us without resorting to embargoes.

Maximilian wrote: »
    Rev, that's shockingly discriminatory to both Twilightangilists and Dawnologists.

twilight_by_makani.jpg
    Couldn't resist it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

"The Bible is remarkably close to the truth" I remarked to herself the other evening while watching "The Life of Brian".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I don't think it's bothering anyone that much, I would hate this forum to go the way of the other forum where we all just sit around complaining about theists trolls and rabbit holes and the like.

One of the nice things about this forum is that the believers are free to come in here and pretty much make any case they can, including quoting from the Bible is they wish. If you think quoting the Bible is invalid its perfectly possible to just say so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I reject that proposal. An occasional discussion with someone who takes a different view about the bible is interesting. It's also a good way of learning what sort of tactics your opponents use.

• Advertisement

Also, would we too be barred from quoting the Bible when we want to show off the bits that arent nice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The thing is, it is.

In a way.

The Bible is both prescriptive and descriptive; it not only sets down rules by which humans are supposed to live, but is also (particularly in the Old Testament) supposed to be an historical account of certain tribes.
    Most historical accounts that old are subject to embellishment and the introduction of supernatural events, but they often still describe true events that actually occured.

There is a very good chance that there is a large portion of truth in much of the Bible's account of the history of the tribes, it's just that someone added God in too.
    No-one sat down and made up a bunch of fairy tale legands - when much of the early Bible was written it was transcribing stories that had been passed from generation to generation by spoken means. The Bible allows us an unparallelled insight into the laws, history and social mores of our ancestors, and it is probable that most of the events described (and remember that much of the Bible contains no supernatural events) have some factual basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

The thing is, it is.

In a way.

The Bible is both prescriptive and descriptive; it not only sets down rules by which humans are supposed to live, but is also (particularly in the Old Testament) supposed to be an historical account of certain tribes.
    Most historical accounts that old are subject to embellishment and the introduction of supernatural events, but they often still describe true events that actually occured.

There is a very good chance that there is a large portion of truth in much of the Bible's account of the history of the tribes, it's just that someone added God in too.
    No-one sat down and made up a bunch of fairy tale legands - when much of the early Bible was written it was transcribing stories that had been passed from generation to generation by spoken means. The Bible allows us an unparallelled insight into the laws, history and social mores of our ancestors, and it is probable that most of the events described (and remember that much of the Bible contains no supernatural events) have some factual basis.

Two points. Firstly, if you are a fan of or have read fantasy you'll see that its quite easy for humans to make up entire worlds, complete with all their own languages and histories. Tolkien's work for example. And fiction is not a modern phenomenon.

Now I'm not saying the bible is pure fiction, but so much of it is it's hard say with any certainty that any of it is fact. Except of course for the bits that can be independently verified. Genesis is almost all nonsense (garden of eden, Noah's ark etc). Next book; Exodus, again the main story is considered non-historical by most historians. And so on through the bible (Sun stopping, the Jericho event etc. etc.). I expect people will want to argue about these but there's little point - the list of cases of historical fantasy is as long as my arm.

The point is, you can't trust it. And of course there's the fact that its been edited and copied widely. I saw a bootleg copy of Harry Potter once, even after one copying a lot of errors had crept in.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

I'm against a blanket ban, telling people what they can or can't say is not what I'm about. If I make a point that turns out to be invalid or based on information which is of questionable reliability I'd much prefer to have that pointed out to me so that I might learn from the experience rather than just being silenced and learning nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Sorry but that's a stupid idea. Introduce that rule and the A&A forum becomes like the Islam forum, i.e a big group hug where intruders are not usually welcome. We welcome christians, muslims and everyone else here because it provokes debate, and if they want to quote from the bible/qu'ran/torah or anything else then go ahead, let's have it. If somebody quotes bible scripture then it's up to the A&A posters to formulate a counter-argument. Sometimes that's easy, sometimes less easy. But therein lies the joy of forums like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Mods please also amend the charter to note that humans breath air.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yes, but what is air?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Dades wrote: »
    Yes, but what is air?

It's a place in Scotland duh!! (Ayr)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

It all really depends on what you mean by historically accurate.

2000 years from now if a historian picks up a copy of “The Bourne Identity” and reads it, he will be able to establish some truths about the politics of our day, the cities in which we lived, the kind of society which we populated and more.

Remember, most fiction is set amongst realities of the day it is set in and the Bible may be no different to this.

The issue is that all the “facts” in such fiction need to be corroborated and supported and not taken on their face value. The fact has to be successfully mined out of the fiction like distilling gold from the rock and mud and crap it is found in.

The issue is people accepting the bible as fact on the fact of it in all its claims, despite many claims within it having no ex-biblical corroboration what so ever. (You would imagine for example that all the graves opening and the dead walking would make it into SOME ex biblical record being as it would have been a massively life and societal changing event etc etc)

The other issue is the same but reversed. Establishing the historical fact of something within a work of fiction is NOT the same as establishing as true all the other claims in that work of fiction. The vast realities of politics, people, locations, geography and more in the “Bourne Identity” all of which can be confirmed, lends in no way any credence to the existence of a super solider called Jason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

The vast realities of politics, people, locations, geography and more in the “Bourne Identity Book Long Edition” all of which can be confirmed, lends in no way any credence to the existence of a super solider called Jason.

I think the correct spelling is Jesus. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

There are plenty of theists who don't consider the bible to be a "valid historical factual book". Some of them are Christians at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Have you been taking tips from this bloke OP?

mussolini.jpg

sceptre wrote: »
    There are plenty of theists who don't consider the bible to be a "valid historical factual book". Some of them are Christians at that.

Any chance they could come on here and have a chat about it, although how would you believe in god with out the book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Plowman wrote: »
    Thus finally giving sensible people the chance to read what the **** was in the damn thing, rather then being told by the local priest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭RepublicanEagle

Pathetic trolling attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Pathetic trolling attempt.
    Who are you kidding, Mr. Ashamed to be Irish? Any thoughts on the actual issue?

I think the OP is wrong to call for a rule of any kind - but I still think that quoting scriptures does not help your argument in this forum. If a point can't stand on its own, without claiming divine support from scripture, you might be better off keeping it away from this audience. :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

No, because that would make us just as bad as them. We are supposed to be the open-minded ones, remember?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    It's a place in Scotland duh!! (Ayr)

If you need to explain why a pun is funny, it isn't a pun.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Plowman wrote: »
    That is not quite true though, is it? My understanding is that for a long time the problem was not printing it was that the church simply did not allow the peasants to own a bible.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Have you been taking tips from this bloke OP?

mussolini.jpg

Its Tom Hanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

MrPudding wrote: »
    the church simply did not allow the peasants to own a bible.
    While there might be some truth in this -- I seem to remember something about purity rules for sacred texts -- it was certainly true that a bible was massively expensive and useless thing to have for people who were illiterate, and even had they been literate, probably wouldn't have been able to read Hebrew or Greek (or even the Latin Vulgate) anyway. Luther's religious views benefitted mostly from the printing press, and to a lesser extent, from his translation into the vernacular.

I think it's probably fairer to say that the Roman church did much (selective education especially) to create the conditions under which bible ownership was difficult and pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭RepublicanEagle

bnt wrote: »
    Who are you kidding, Mr. Ashamed to be Irish?

Excuse me? Do you have a problem Mr. Read Posts & Threads More Carefully?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

If you people start banning religious people's right to advance fallacious arguments then it's the last you'll be hearing of me...

My guess is the OP is some religious nut trying to convince atheists to descend as low as they do in their stellar historical record.

Another obvious point, why would you want these people to stop quoting biblical scripture when 90% of the time the same verse can be reinterpreted against their very point???

Trolling IMO...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If you people...
    Hey not's lump everyone in here with the OP, thanks!

His suggestion got little support here, if any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

:cool:

Galvasean wrote: »
    Bad idea IMO for two reasons.

1) The inevitable "We'rebeing oppressed!" reaction, which would be somewhat justified.

I do not see it as being oppressed, if you choose to believe something and then prove it by referring to a book, then that book needs to pass any challenge.

If you do not know who wrote that book, when, why, or how is was written, then that book has no basis in anything.
    Galvasean wrote: »
    2) Why bar them from using a debating style? If we're so confident taht we are right we should be able to reasonabnly dismantle anything they throw at us without resorting to embargoes.

We are, and we do. Again and again ad infinitum.

Dades wrote: »
    Hey not's lump everyone in here with the OP, thanks!

His suggestion got little support here, if any.

You are a MOD, less of the personal please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

You are a MOD, less of the personal please

Saying your proposal didn't get much support is hardly a personal attack

• Advertisement
Advertisement