Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got signed

Options
  • 10-04-2010 2:09am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, I'm over the moon!!

As of wednesday, I've been signed to phaselocked records!

Absolutely delighted, have a 6 track ep out in June, will be on iTunes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

congrats dude.

anywhere we can take a listen

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Not yet, have some early stuff up on soundcloud, I'll have samples up of the stuff that's gettin released in a week or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

eeloe wrote: »
    Not yet, have some early stuff up on soundcloud, I'll have samples up of the stuff that's gettin released in a week or two!

Congrats!

What type of stuff is it?

Wish you the best of luck Man! Enjoy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Well done lad. Great to hear. Good luck with everything

ICN wrote: »
    Congrats!

What type of stuff is it?

Wish you the best of luck Man! Enjoy! :D

Cheers!

I honestly don't know how to describe it, i'd say techno-tech house kinda stuff!

dont like making the one kinda sound, as i like to much, so i just try to do a bit of everything without going off on mad tangents!

:D

Also cheers alofthedunnes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

congrats man, phaselocked records don't show me no results on google, is there a link or a ms page you could show me ? interested to hear this label. cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

ok i'm gonna be the one to rain on the parade.

i couldn't find anything on google, and i've never heard of the label but i did find this http://phazelockedrecords.com/index.htm

now if this is the 'label' you're signing with i'd advise extreme caution. if you make anything techno related, and they're not on beatport, you are wasting your time. if they are going through any aggregator to get on to itunes, again it's a complete waste.

basically what i'm saying is, be very very very careful, judging by that site (if indeed that is the people you're dealing with).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

alarm bells......

"WELCOME TO PHAZELOCKED RECORDS A BRAND NEW LABEL PROVIDING A WIDE RANGE OF ORIGINAL MUSIC FOR THE PUBLIC AS WELL AS THE DJ CULTURE. A SIMPLE AND STRAIGHT FORWARD SITE TO BUY TRACKS. ALL RELEASES CLEARLY LISTED, JUST CLICK ON LISTEN/BUY AND YOU WILL BE DIRECTED TO THE ARTIST PAGE ON BANDCAMP.COM CLICK HERE FOR LATEST FREE DOWNLOADS

ALL TRACKS ARE FROM THE "RKL PRODUCTIONS" STABLE AND DRAW ON OVER 20 YEARS MUSIC PRODUCTION EXPERIENCE.

PHAZELOCKEDRECORDS WILL ALSO BE WORKING WITH TOP PRODUCERS TO BRING YOU THE VERY BEST IN NEW MUSIC"

Sorry dude, but that 'label' are a complete and utter joke. Avoid. Like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

jtsuited wrote: »

i couldn't find anything on google, and i've never heard of the label but i did find this http://phazelockedrecords.com/index.htm

now if this is the 'label' you're signing with i'd advise extreme caution. if you make anything techno related, and they're not on beatport, you are wasting your time. if they are going through any aggregator to get on to itunes, again it's a complete waste.

basically what i'm saying is, be very very very careful, judging by that site (if indeed that is the people you're dealing with).

Hmm,

I see Ricer seems to have has his track signed up with these guys aswell......

alarm bells......

"WELCOME TO PHAZELOCKED RECORDS A BRAND NEW LABEL PROVIDING A WIDE RANGE OF ORIGINAL MUSIC FOR THE PUBLIC AS WELL AS THE DJ CULTURE. A SIMPLE AND STRAIGHT FORWARD SITE TO BUY TRACKS. ALL RELEASES CLEARLY LISTED, JUST CLICK ON LISTEN/BUY AND YOU WILL BE DIRECTED TO THE ARTIST PAGE ON BANDCAMP.COM CLICK HERE FOR LATEST FREE DOWNLOADS

ALL TRACKS ARE FROM THE "RKL PRODUCTIONS" STABLE AND DRAW ON OVER 20 YEARS MUSIC PRODUCTION EXPERIENCE.

PHAZELOCKEDRECORDS WILL ALSO BE WORKING WITH TOP PRODUCERS TO BRING YOU THE VERY BEST IN NEW MUSIC"

Sorry dude, but that 'label' are a complete and utter joke. Avoid. Like the plague.

I'm sorry, but i disagree!

If you'd met, and spoke to the guy who owns this label, you understand his sheer appreciation for music, and the want to get it out there.

The owner doesn't just produce techno/house/electronica, alas not being stuck to just beatport.

And yes Dave, the owner of the lable has worked with Ricer to produce some music, All of which has been signed to SubCult records, bigger than jesus and has also got air time on Dave Clarkes White Noise Radio Show in recent weeks! I'm just happy I was offered the chance to work with this guy, who has given me a wealth of information over the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Very right. I'll go put the kettle on.

Now i have release through a fairly ok label, and i do my own hobby label... i walked in knowing nothing and at least made an effort to do a few things.

Website optimization (so label appear on google)
    Proper contracts.
    Proper distribution (apart from beatport! - as we all know that story)
    Agents/promotions

It's only a hobby label, and requires shed loads of effort - the phaselocked thing has 2 obvious warnings.

itunes (the contract he has with itunes maybe the default one they supply and not challenge or changed by the label to remove the vicious IP/copyright control)

zero SEO. (Search engine optimization)

We cannot stress enough on this forum of the dangers of signing without getting professional legal advice - if you haven't, then you are actually on a roller coaster to hell if you've signed your IP and rights over blindly.

We all hope you have had them checked out - for the sake of your own love of music.

Thanks for the advice Mr Jazz.

I'm aware of the risks, and i have the option to pull my material from them label when i seem fit!

I'm just happy that this guy want's to release some of my music, so i cannot see what all the fuss is about?

As the story goes, i got in to production having a BASIC grasp of it, and with the help of the label owner i now have a massive understanding of it, he wasn't afraid to let me know any "tricks" of the trade, and basically was very helpful in setting up my studio at home with adivce on what equipment to buy and what software to get.

I'm happy that he has helped me as much as he has, and the fact that he wants to release some of my material, makes the situation even better.

He has said himself, if i wish i can send the tracks to other label's and he'll even send them on to some of the people he knows, and help get my stuff out there in ways that i couldn't....so I'm delighted to have the chance!

eeloe wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice Mr Jazz.

I'm aware of the risks, and i have the option to pull my material from them label when i seem fit!

I know it's an awesome moment - but alas much more going behind the situation possibly.

The label owner might not be at fault - understand we are not saying he's the problem, but check this example.

He may say you can pull the tracks whenever you want, but the agreement he's signed with apple (itunes), means they may control the rights to exploit your music for about 4 years if i remember correctly - this may have changed with time... but make not mistake, Apple are very aggressive in their IP/Copyright clauses on contracts - i'd ask at least to see that agreement to make sure you're not going to suffer later on down the line.

If you want to get your music released on a bigger platform yourself (pretty much what that label would be doing), then we have tons of links and advice.

Thank you very much Mr Jazz!

I'm gonna concentrate a bit more on getting these tracks finished, and out....and i'll look in to some new area's then!

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Without revealing commercially sensitive information can you explain what sort of deal you've signed?

How will you be rewarded for your work ?

I just find it hard to grasp that you dont have this music online anywhere we can listen to, like sound cloud or mypace, im sorry but thats weird. also just because someone got a tune played on dave clarkes white noise is nothing to write home about. its not that hard to send a tune to dave clarkes dropbox on sc.

the fact the label has a site and the site dont even show up on google says it all really, its a pile of ****e, and the tunes already existent on it are ****e also. half baked would be the word. they are just basically rounding up some kids and saying ""yes we will make you famous and get you music out, follow us oh gullable ones.."" l

Did i actually come on here saying i'm doing this to "get famous" no, i do it cause i enjoy it, and if phazelocked records wish to release some of my material, so be it, i'm happy for them to do so!

3 tracks are up on soundcloud, i never said they weren't, there's 3 more than i'm currently working on, and they aren't up....and they won't be until i'm 100% happy with the mix down of them!

cool cool cool , can we have a link to sound cloud to have a listen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

cool cool cool , can we have a link to sound cloud to have a listen ?

Think this would be it?
    http://soundcloud.com/leeodonnell

I have to say tho, i'm deeply sorry, it appears i have mis-spelt the name of the label in my first post, that's why none of you are getting google hits!

type phazelocked records in to google and you'll find many links with information about the label and it's owner, and people who he is currently working with, along with a little further investigation you'll also find his quite impressive back catalogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Thats the same crowd everyone has been talking about is it not - regardless of the spelling?

Seems real Mickey Mouse.

From a customers POV - a lot of the links on that 1st page dont work. Anything that says Itunes goes to YouTube.

A good few of those Bandcamp links dont work & the ones that do, the music is far from cool.

Just wondering Mate how well your stuff is going to be pushed - if at all?

Its a tad sloppy not having the product ready to buy. If its not ready to sell when someone is ready to buy then its a missed opportunity.

Personally & I know its just my own taste here - I would never buy 1 tune of that site - as its all rubbish.

I think its cool you got signed Mate - But their site is not well maintained.. making me think that they are lazy & how high their standards actually are.

I'd personally give it a miss - looks like a joke. Sorry.

Do you want to be associated with that?

As far as i know, all the layman and rice stuff has been removed from the site, as it's all being released through Bigger Than Jesus(i THINK that's the name)

The stuff with Megan Cassidy is being pushed through some other sources also.

I definately want to be associated with this, why wouldn't i? My music MAY NOT be on beatport, YET, but at least it's out there!

It's my FIRST actual releases....so im delighted...at least they are out there!

On-wards and up-wards i say!:)

It is the same crowd, the reason i mentioned the spelling is cause someone said they didn't get any good hits when they googled it...

with the correct spelling there is lots of information there!

So, just my point of view on this thread.

People are warning you of lots of problems, pitfalls and obvious failings with this label and you come to this forum for what?

I'm speaking for the whole forum here that you've come to this community that willingly give out experience based in reality (i've personally lost hundreds of thousands) in this music industry.

And refuted us 100%, not willing to face facts.

Doing you a favour, send me a PM and i'll explain in 2 sentences how you can get your music out to 30 times as many portals as this 'label' offers (at no cost to yourself) - it takes about 15mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Doing you a favour, send me a PM and i'll explain in 2 sentences how you can get your music out to 30 times as many portals as this 'label' offers (at no cost to yourself) - it takes about 15mins.

How about you post it publicly

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    How about you post it publicly

I believe i already have somewhere in this forum :) - and i don't want this going off topic with subsequent questions - anyone feel free to pm for the details.

I can supply a contacts for individuals or label distribution.

Advertisement