Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

people are individuals

• 10-04-2010 4:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭

If it is that easy for someone to conform with the majority,how far will they go?
    Would they go as far as to invade a country and murder it's people?
    Conformity is like a disease,and it is instilled in us at a very early age.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

THOSE people are cowards!

You're a person, are you a coward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

No I'm not a coward.Why do you ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Yes we are all individuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

digme wrote: »
    No I'm not a coward.Why do you ask?

Because before you edited it, your original post said "No they are not, they are cowards"

Did you forget that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Well maybe you had an insight into an instinctive reaction that was not critically assesed by the OP and therefore edited :)
    Alot of people might have done the same thing so its no big deal and perfectly natural.
    I think people on average tend to steer themselves to the groups mentality its called rapport and its something we all seek wether we know it or not.
    Looking at that video we would all like to say we would ofc say the right answer and i think that is totally depending on our upbringing and culture.

My personal thoughts about myself is that i would indeed say the right answers.But that would be a situation where i dont care what the group thinks because id figure i wont see them after.
    If it was a group where i really wanted to fit in and not insult their intelligence i would probably lie also because most times i think different from others and most dont appreciate their reality being challenged.Socially its in my best interests to appear to conform to some extent and that is what i am seeing in action there i think.
    Each person is socially a part of that group in their mind and in that situation for them safety is with the group.I would like to see the test done with the subjects thinking that each wrong answer gave an animal a shock in the next room.Obviously no animals being hurt but that perception might make the test more real.

I have seen one done similar to this.The person in the next room was an actor and the subject was told to ask each question and upon hearing an incorrect answer they would pull a lever and shock the actor in the next room.The subjects could hear screaming from the next room but continued to ask the questions some even until the answer light stopped flashing!
    All because they were told by a man in a white coat.
    This shows we are programmed to be more responsive and respectful to the archetype of the authority figure.
    Helps with politics to teach the public to be this way.Thanks TV :D
    And thanks Digme good thread topic :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement