Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x12 "Divided" [SPOILERS]

Options
  • 10-04-2010 4:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭

82890b65ab43ebd392e544bf09fa9564.jpg
    Several of the civilians on Destiny execute a coup and take over control of the ship from the military personnel.

What did you think of SGU 1x12 "Divided"? 44 votes

Mutinous Dogs Deliver!
    0%
    Great Scott
    38%
    sutty_Kaiser_stereo_steveBodanSherifusiodaalastair_doomsmellslikeshoesOverhealAlso Starring LeVar Burtonmuboop1thebossanovaianflynnGSPfan-Trek-ColumcGarethWA 17 votes
    McKay
    36%
    BabyEaterThe_KeeperBKtjeLoGiEMr E[Deleted User]Diddy KongKiithNukemcooperguyThe GnomeConor108robby^5Podge_irlhelimachoptordon ramo 16 votes
    Rushed
    22%
    YakuzaSir Digby Chicken CaesarazezilThe_BullmanCatsmokinpotAuversTristramFreudianSlippersPirateShampoowyrn 10 votes
    N'O'Neill
    2%
    Venom 1 vote

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Was about to go to bed and then seen this thread. Thanks Sherifu, that's me up for another hour.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ok maybe I'm missing something here but this doesn't really make sense. The aliens are trying to get into destiny but it's shields have always held out everytime they went at it. This time they just about made it before destiny went into FTL so obviously it isn't that hard so how come they never made it before. Especially since when everyone arrived it was running ridiculously low on power.

Secondly, why the **** don't they just latch a ship onto it and cut another hole. It worked last episode when they took Chloe so why didn't they try that before or right now. OK right now there are a lot of armed people on the ship and they have no idea of numbers or weapons capabilities but in the past there was no one on the thing. It's possible they thought that there were people on it before but they still could have sent in a few of their own to get an idea of who or what was on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Great Scott
    Got to agree with AlmightyCushion a lot about these aliens just doesn't seem to make sense, almost seems like during the writing they were concentrating more on the character relationship plots and hastily tacked on the alien plot arc to keep things interesting.

After saying that though, I did like the episode.
    The different approach of SGU is really starting to get into it's stride in my opinion. I'm really enjoying the power struggles that have been going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

agrees with all of the above and confused much. I tink im gonna ave to watch it again when all the alcohol leaves my brain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

McKay
    Ok maybe I'm missing something here but this doesn't really make sense. The aliens are trying to get into destiny but it's shields have always held out everytime they went at it. This time they just about made it before destiny went into FTL so obviously it isn't that hard so how come they never made it before. Especially since when everyone arrived it was running ridiculously low on power.

Secondly, why the **** don't they just latch a ship onto it and cut another hole. It worked last episode when they took Chloe so why didn't they try that before or right now. OK right now there are a lot of armed people on the ship and they have no idea of numbers or weapons capabilities but in the past there was no one on the thing. It's possible they thought that there were people on it before but they still could have sent in a few of their own to get an idea of who or what was on it.
    the ship took care of itself for thousands of years as it was on autopilot, and ran itself, when the griup from earth arrived they either switched off the autopilot systems, of it was fairly damaged, either way the ship is no longer running itself,

personally id say the aliens have been trying for years to get onto destiny and had probably just succeeded as the group from earth arrived, as they said the auto defences always took care of any attacks, so if that was the case how did an alien ship attach itself to the hull,

the aliens could have assumed the group from earth probably came through thinking they owned the ship and had been summoned to protect the ship,

then after repairing some of the damaged systems from the attack, the ship went off on autopilot again to recharge itself,

we dont know what happened before the team arrived on destiny, the one thing we do know is that the ship was fairly ****ed when they got there, no air, water and very little power left,

• Advertisement

McKay
    it was a good episode but i think its a dumb storyline, the people on destiny dont get to decide whos in charge, earth decides who in charge,

young as said is a fulll bird colonel, therefore is the most senior ranked military person on the ship, that puts him in charge of any military operation,

on the civilan side we have camille wray a glorified HR admisitrator,

who do you think is best qualified to run such an operation,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Great Scott
    I thought it was great. This show is fast becoming my most anticipated every week.

I don't need to know every little detail of why or how Destiny has survived this long TBH. I'm happy with them saying "Automated defenses etc." I like the way there is no conference room scenes in SGU to spell out the whole story and every little step of the plan. I think they are doing fine with the vague answers. I really want to know what has happened to the guy who sat in the chair????? Have I missed something there?

I'm so happy with the direction this show is taking. Keep it coming.

Great Scott
    don ramo wrote: »
    it was a good episode but i think its a dumb storyline, the people on destiny dont get to decide whos in charge, earth decides who in charge,

young as said is a fulll bird colonel, therefore is the most senior ranked military person on the ship, that puts him in charge of any military operation,

on the civilan side we have camille wray a glorified HR admisitrator,

who do you think is best qualified to run such an operation,

See thats fine if it was a planned mission or expedition like on Atlantis. But these people are taking orders from a military foce led by an unstable commander for what may very well be the rest of their lives. And they are not military. They are normal people like Chloe with no skills. Scientists, business men and women. Its quite possible that these people will never get home ya know. Or if they do it'll take years or decades. So you have to factor that in when you think about why they are doing it.

At first they were ok with it. But as time has gone on they've seen Young leave someone on a planet to die because he didn't agree with his view of things. We know that Rush tried to frame him for murder but they don't.

I wouldn't be happy taking orders form a military force who aren't against the idea of pointing a gun in your face when you don't want to comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Great Scott
    Was about to go to bed and then seen this thread. Thanks Sherifu, that's me up for another hour.
    No worries man :D
    GSPfan wrote: »
    I thought it was great. This show is fast becoming my most anticipated every week.

I don't need to know every little detail of why or how Destiny has survived this long TBH. I'm happy with them saying "Automated defenses etc." I like the way there is no conference room scenes in SGU to spell out the whole story and every little step of the plan. I think they are doing fine with the vague answers. I really want to know what has happened to the guy who sat in the chair????? Have I missed something there?

I'm so happy with the direction this show is taking. Keep it coming.
    Pretty much agree with all of this. Feels like the show is really coming together now and is providing great entertainment each week. May even re-watch this episode this weekend. There was a lot of stuff going on. I liked the way they revealed the stones mystery, the history of the aliens attacking the ship and how the aliens were finding them.

Great Scott
    Yeah it was a good episode, I will have to re-watch this one aswell. I always pay full attention to my tv shows but you can't help but miss the sumbtle things at times.

I really liked the explanation for the stones connecting to the alien ship. It was because Rush had a stone..... or was it? ha. I really like the non-answer he gave Young. That little bit of doubt in the air between both of them is great.

Chloe's position is interesting now. She has lost all faith in young but she's banging Scott, his second in command. Will Scott be forced to let one of them down at some stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Two great episodes.

The Aliens were able to dock two ships to Destiny before. One we saw detach in a previous episode and one they destroyed this week.

Last week Alien vessels were able to dock twice while destiny had their shields up. Once to capture Chloe, and the second time Rush comandered an Alien ship and docked.

So yeah, this begs the question, why if they are so keen on capturing Destiny do they not just Dock again / why when they docked before didnt they take over the ship?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Rushed
    One of the best episodes to date, but still had to go for McKay. I'm getting a little sick of the power struggle story and some of the characters are really starting to drive me a bit mad.

It just also seems like they are writing themselves into corners and then going "oh, ****..." then just writing a bit of a solution to the problem they just created. The whole stones thing and the alien ship could have been explained a lot better or been one of the mysteries that we figure out as the show goes on. At the moment every episode is too neat - problems are created in one episode and then conveniently solved at the end of that episode or the beginning of the next.

SGU is starting to feel like a poorly done BSG ripoff... there I said it!

the ship took care of itself for thousands of years as it was on autopilot, and ran itself, when the griup from earth arrived they either switched off the autopilot systems, of it was fairly damaged, either way the ship is no longer running itself,

personally id say the aliens have been trying for years to get onto destiny and had probably just succeeded as the group from earth arrived, as they said the auto defences always took care of any attacks, so if that was the case how did an alien ship attach itself to the hull,

the aliens could have assumed the group from earth probably came through thinking they owned the ship and had been summoned to protect the ship,

then after repairing some of the damaged systems from the attack, the ship went off on autopilot again to recharge itself,

we dont know what happened before the team arrived on destiny, the one thing we do know is that the ship was fairly ****ed when they got there, no air, water and very little power left,

But the ship is still running itself. It still flies where ever it wants etc. Maybe the defense systems aren't though for whatever reason. Anywho, in one of the first episodes there was a small ship attached to the hull of the destiny, we see it fly off at the end of one episode. I think it's safe to assume that it belongs to these aliens (although I haven't compared the designs). If it was theirs why wouldn't they use that ship to cut a hole in the hull and invade destiny. It just doesn't make sense. We've been told they've been trying for ages to get access to the ship but up until now it just looks like they haven't been all that bothered with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

BSG-lite? The coup was hinted at in last week's episode, occurred, was lived-through and peacefully resolved in the space of about twenty-five minutes: Just in time for the reset button to be pressed ahead of next week's episode.

I mean, sure, SG:U has far, far more intra-episode continuity than either SG1 or Atlantis, and undoubtedly we will see some lasting references to the failed coup, but Christ... It all comes off as kids throwing a fit inside a sandbox until the adults come and take all their toys away. Contrived and pretty pointless, in the end.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

McKay
    GSPfan wrote: »

I really liked the explanation for the stones connecting to the alien ship. It was because Rush had a stone..... or was it? ha. I really like the non-answer he gave Young. That little bit of doubt in the air between both of them is great.

Chloe's position is interesting now. She has lost all faith in young but she's banging Scott, his second in command. Will Scott be forced to let one of them down at some stage?

Me too, was a good ploy on the writers and gives another devious and intelligent aspect to Rush, i liked it.

Agree, he's going to have to make a decision, I'm not sure why he didnt lock her in the cell though:rolleyes:.

I love TJ:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

McKay
    Fenster wrote: »
    BSG-lite? The coup was hinted at in last week's episode, occurred, was lived-through and peacefully resolved in the space of about twenty-five minutes: Just in time for the reset button to be pressed ahead of next week's episode.

I mean, sure, SG:U has far, far more intra-episode continuity than either SG1 or Atlantis, and undoubtedly we will see some lasting references to the failed coup, but Christ... It all comes off as kids throwing a fit inside a sandbox until the adults come and take all their toys away. Contrived and pretty pointless, in the end.

I don't think there was any real problem with the way the coup was handled. It was a group of scientists against a well drilled group of soldiers and given the circumstances it may as well have been adults against kids. It just highlights the need for a military command in such a scenario. The civilians were weak and leaderless with several different motives going on amongst them.

Some alien elements don't make a lot of sense, but I'm enjoying the direction that SGU is going in.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I don't think there was any real problem with the way the coup was handled. It was a group of scientists against a well drilled group of soldiers and given the circumstances it may as well have been adults against kids. It just highlights the need for a military command in such a scenario. The civilians were weak and leaderless with several different motives going on amongst them.
    Exactly - they didn't have a chance of pulling it off really because they didn't have the training to do it. Rush had the technical know how to lock out systems but he couldn't really think tactically the same way and the civilians would not be trained to use arms. I've no issue with them suppressing it quickly - BSG was more of a military coup.
    Some alien elements don't make a lot of sense, but I'm enjoying the direction that SGU is going in.
    I'm trying to work out the alien thing as well. I'm guessing it's that they haven't been able to cut into it before? But then how did they find it to plant the tracker on it? Hmmm? Bah!

Still very much enjoyed the episode. I'm also glad to see that Young abandoning Rush had consequences. They also answered the question of whether they'd bring on appropriate people via the stones when required, such as a surgeon. The stones glitch might though mean they're not reliable at all (we still don't know why they glitched before).

Podge_irl wrote: »

Makes more sense when you put it like that. Eh, the aliens were hinted at in the very first episode so I'm content to let it play out. Why does everyone want Destiny?

Fenster wrote: »
    Why does everyone want Destiny?

I imagine it's just the technology. It's a pretty advanced ship. The FTL drive, the shields seem pretty advanced as well, it can recharge itself by going into the sun which means no fuel. There could be something else as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

McKay
    We don't know for sure why the aliens are after Destiny, just Rush's theory. Before the Icarus crew arrived, the aliens probably didn't need to latch on and cut through the hull because there is that massive opening in the dome structure on Destiny; The alien shuttles LOOK like they could probably fit through there! Then an EVA to the door and there on board :)

And yeah the Mutiny was supressed very quickly but sure it was trained & armed USAF and USMC personnell against civillians who did nothing but sit in the canteen:rolleyes: Was only gonna go down one way!

Oh and I always have liked SGU's music choices until Chloe's dream sequence at the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,354 ✭✭✭✭noodler

ixoy wrote: »
    Exactly - they didn't have a chance of pulling it off really because they didn't have the training to do it. Rush had the technical know how to lock out systems but he couldn't really think tactically the same way and the civilians would not be trained to use arms. I've no issue with them suppressing it quickly - BSG was more of a military coup.

I don't really go along with the whole training apect. The only reason it failed was because they forgot there was a hole in the back of the ship.

All the military's superior training etc wouldn't have mattered a jot if the whole had been guarded or simply not been there.

Regardless, good episode. Same questions about the Aliens but I really hope Caprica comse back from its mid-season break as strongly as SGU has.

Chloe - little bitch.

McKay
    noodler wrote: »
    I don't really go along with the whole training apect. The only reason it failed was because they forgot there was a hole in the back of the ship.

All the military's superior training etc wouldn't have mattered a jot if the whole had been guarded or simply not been there.

Regardless, good episode. Same questions about the Aliens but I really hope Caprica comse back from its mid-season break as strongly as SGU has.

Chloe - little bitch.

were all looking forward to that, the 6 months will fly;)

fact is that earth has decided that young is in charge and they are free to alter that at any time, but no-one is as qualified as young to lead the mission, hes may not be the best option, but as i said hes the best on-board,

remember atlantis was a civilian operation backed up by the military, but the civilian leader (weir) was an expert in foerign relations and well able to hold her own when it came to military calls,

wray as i've said repeatedly is a HR manager for the IOA, i doubth very much she was trained in anyway to command any mission, never mind one where there stranded thousands of light years from earth,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Rushed

fact is that earth has decided that young is in charge and they are free to alter that at any time, but no-one is as qualified as young to lead the mission, hes may not be the best option, but as i said hes the best on-board,

remember atlantis was a civilian operation backed up by the military, but the civilian leader (weir) was an expert in foerign relations and well able to hold her own when it came to military calls,

wray as i've said repeatedly is a HR manager for the IOA, i doubth very much she was trained in anyway to command any mission, never mind one where there stranded thousands of light years from earth,
    I sort of agree with this, but I feel we haven't seen the end of this power struggle and we never will. This is going to be a main theme of this show from start to finish imo - and I honestly feel that they're not doing it right and it will get old... FAST.

I've also said it earlier in this thread, but I'll say it again: SGU is starting to feel like a poorly done BSG ripoff!

This military/civilian power struggle and how their society should go forward and be governed was done in BSG and done better in BSG.
    I know there is only so much you can do with this type of show - and I know that military/civilian power struggles have existed forever and still do today, but a show like SGU is a total blank slate. They could literally do ANYTHING they wanted on this show and as long as it was thought out clearly in advance and had a point it was going towards.

If you look back on the past 12 episodes as a whole, it almost seems like the show was pushed out before it was ready to go.
    Small things from the first few episodes feel like mis-starts... almost like they started to go down one storyline and then changed their mind and just jerked us to another plot altogether and hoped we'd forget the episode before.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

OisinT wrote: »
    This military/civilian power struggle and how their society should go forward and be governed was done in BSG and done better in BSG.
    I know there is only so much you can do with this type of show - and I know that military/civilian power struggles have existed forever and still do today, but a show like SGU is a total blank slate. They could literally do ANYTHING they wanted on this show and as long as it was thought out clearly in advance and had a point it was going towards.
    Well there isn't a huge choice of options open to them though and a power struggle is dramatically more interesting. The coup in BSG was spread over arcs and was a bigger power struggle - this is more about people wanting to be heard a little more. There hasn't been executions, etc.

Small things from the first few episodes feel like mis-starts... almost like they started to go down one storyline and then changed their mind and just jerked us to another plot altogether and hoped we'd forget the episode before.
    I don't really agree with this - the first half of the season could be seen as them trying to get the Destiny into a working state. So that'd be getting the systems back online, etc before they can crack into exploring what's outside the ship.
    I wouldn't really hold up a comparison to BSG either - since that's a show where the producers openly admitted they were making it up as they went along (and it showed in later years).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

McKay
    noodler wrote: »

The whole thing could have come acropper had that one airman simply refused to give up his firearm and taken the civilians hostage. Had the hole not been there the military side would have all been working towards the same goal and would have done whatever was necessary to achieve that. The whole point was that it's the military element and direct chain of command that succeeds in adverse conditions.

I think that my point was misinterpreted.

I didn't mean that the military aren't the right ones to leade the expedition - what I meant was that their training isn't why the 'mutiny' failed. It was a hole in the ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

So, has anyone done a screengrab of the ship that detached from Destiny way back when, and the new alien shuttles? I'm waaaaaaay too lazy to do it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Great Scott
    So, has anyone done a screengrab of the ship that detached from Destiny way back when, and the new alien shuttles? I'm waaaaaaay too lazy to do it :D
    Air:
    06e01ad0735c7cd727ae37c08fe0747c.jpg

Space:
    vlcsnap_2010_04_13_00h15m06s157.png

Joseph Mallozzi (i'll put this in spoiler just in case)
    confirmed they're the same afaik.

So say we all! ;)

20100412_2434.png

• Advertisement

Hah, Legendary Fenster!

See Overheal - BSG style comparisons of the mutiny were inevitable.

To be honest I thought Adama could have been a bit more ruthless to say the least.

I understand it is different in Young's situation though.

Advertisement