Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x12 "Divided" [SPOILERS]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

noodler wrote: »
    I think that my point was misinterpreted.

I didn't mean that the military aren't the right ones to leade the expedition - what I meant was that their training isn't why the 'mutiny' failed. It was a hole in the ship.

They could also have used the shuttle to blast a hole.

What happened to the ship that Rush and Chloe returned in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

McKay
    in all fairness you cant compare the BSG mutiny to SG-Us, BSG was the remainder of the human race, nearly 50,000 people on mulitiple ships, the mutiny started as a lot of people werent happy with the alliance with the cylons, which in the end saved the human race,

wheras SG-U is 50 people stranded in deep space, and arent happy cause there being whipped into shape and thought how to survive, some people will be left behind, which is unfortunate, but the military are better trained to make these hard decisions, sacrificing one for the many might never be a good thing but at least they can make the call, which in the end will save more than it kills,

weve seen before on atlantis where civilian overseers dodge calls and bury there heads so that they dont have to make the call, and then pop up later to either point the finger or thank the people for a good job,

• Registered Users Posts: 26,395 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah agreed Don pretty much.

Outstanding picture though.

BSG was war - pretty much always.

SGU isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Rushed
    noodler wrote: »
    Yeah agreed Don pretty much.

Outstanding picture though.

BSG was war - pretty much always.

SGU isn't.
    but obviously SGU is going to be war. Between humans on destiny and these grasshopper aliens.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,029 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Great Scott
    I imagine it's just the technology. It's a pretty advanced ship. The FTL drive, the shields seem pretty advanced as well, it can recharge itself by going into the sun which means no fuel. There could be something else as well.
    Even the Asgard were still studying their Repository at their own end there. In Thor's own words they had barely scratched the Surface. While Destiny was by comparison immensely old, it would still represent an incredible achievement. What else can you say about an Inter-Galactic Vessel powered by the Stars themselves?

What will be interesting is how they will probably write themselves into an inconsistency with Destiny's Abilities. Already displaying how dilapidated it is - how is it supposed to defend itself anymore? More interestingly, how has it, up to this point, autonomously? And what happened to Destiny when the Stargate was Activated for the first time since its launch?

Furthermore we still have yet in Series to hear about the Seeder Ships.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

McKay
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    The whole thing could have come acropper had that one airman simply refused to give up his firearm and taken the civilians hostage. Had the hole not been there the military side would have all been working towards the same goal and would have done whatever was necessary to achieve that. The whole point was that it's the military element and direct chain of command that succeeds in adverse conditions.

Agreed, he should have given one of the civilians a flesh wound and got rush to open the door. If he didnt do that he should have given rush/wray a flesh wound and that would have got it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Rushed
    When I saw the opening sequence I was peeved. I thought it was going to be a Chloe-centric episode (and as you may have gathered I cannot stand her) however I hate to admit it but I was pleasantly surprised. I actually liked her in this episode.

It was an inevitable coup that wouldn't work out. It's a pity. I'd hate to be stuck on that ship with Young barking orders like "get to your quarters now" as if they were children. TJ's attitude summed it up well - the military way of thinking. I think that way might cost them in the long run. They are very narrow minded when it comes to suggestions from the civilians. A sort of "my way or I'll leave you on a desolate planet way".

Young is very much removed from any leader we've seen in Stargate. He's paranoid (with some good reason too), not in full health, hates Rush & co and makes rash decisions.

The military and scientists need to work together. The military for protection and the well being of the ship/crew and the scientists for figuring out how to control the ship. They very much need a leader who is commanding and not a solider or scientist but someone who command respect from both. I don't think Wray has it at all. Shooter McGavin would have been perfect. I think Chloe is being set up for this position (otherwise why have her character).

I think Eli is playing a very dangerous game (unknowingly). He's so eager to please Young (prob due to wanting to carve out his own career and not being in Rush's shadow) that I think this might have disastrous consequences. Remember when Chloe asked Rush to stop otherwise they could lose Young & Young Guy (still having problems with names) and he did now compare this to Young barking orders at Eli. Eli generally seems to follow them even if he thinks it's not a good idea - he'll tell Young that but Young just shouts back and Eli caves in. I can see an episode when Rush is confined or banned from working on the ship and Eli is in charge, something happens and Young wants something done which Eli doesn't agree with but goes along with it. At least Rush has the balls to ignore him or anyone else (like in the earlier episode when they tried to use the gate, can't remember exactly which episode it was) and it worked out well in the end.

I don't know where this is going to go but I'm glad it's picked up. One thing I'm not liking is the amount of episode fillers of camera panning and music.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Note to self - always get guns/armory codes prior to my future coup.
    Overall, I enjoyed the episode.

Advertisement