Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best HTC/android smartphone: Desire, Legend etc

Options
  • 10-04-2010 5:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Need to get into Android so i'm looking at the Desire in particular.
    Is this the most accomplished HTC phone on the market at the moment?
    Or is the Legend worth looking at.

Also, can anyone tell me what the situation is with Android apps in Ireland- are there problems using paid Android apps on Irish networks or something (probably got that wrong, but is there some issue with this).

Lastly, the Desire doesn't have a slider qwerty.
    How easy is it to type using the onscreen keyboard?

A similarly specced device the Motorola Milestone has a keyboard but it's a Motorola, and i'm just wary of this. :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Well if your looking for the best specs then the desire is the phone to go for.

I just got the legend with meteor and the reason i went for this instead of the desire was the fact that i think it looks alot better and still has very good specs. (Also because i got it on the old meteor bill pay plan, which you wont be able to get with the desire when its launched).

In Ireland you can get all the free apps from the app store, think thats all you can get for now.

The onboard keyboard is perfect on the legend so id assume it will be even easier to use on the desire with its larger screen.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

manu2009 wrote: »
    In Ireland you can get all the free apps from the app store, think thats all you can get for now.

Thanks.
    So does that mean no paid apps?
    If not, are paid apps downloadable from other sites.
    Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, just wanna clear this up before going with Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

im in the same boat as the OP.I will be buying a new phone in the next few weeks either the desire or legend.I prefer the look of the legend but the desire has better spec.
    manu2009 is it still possible to get the legend on the old bill tarif or has it all changed no mater what phone i go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Nope you can't get any of their good phones on the old connect tariff anymore. The only carrier in Ireland now that doesn't force people to take a twice as expensive smartphone tariff is three and their phone selection is rubbish. The only android phone they have is the Samsung Spica.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 self_sentered

mkennedy wrote: »
    Thanks.

You can download Mobentoo Marketplace which gives access to some of the paid apps (maybe 100-200) without needing to root your phone. Or if you do root it, install MarketEnabler and you get access to all of them.

I'm probably gonna get the desire when it comes out on Meteor. The one thing that really bugs me about my G1 is the lack of processing power, one of the reasons I'd definitely choose the Desire over the Legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

mkennedy wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, just wanna clear this up before going with Android.

i could be 100% wrong here but can you get a sim card from england and use that for paid apps and just stick your own card in when the app is downloaded?thought i saw it in this forum over the last few days.

You can download Mobentoo Marketplace which gives access to some of the paid apps (maybe 100-200) without needing to root your phone. Or if you do root it, install MarketEnabler and you get access to all of them.

Thanks.
    What is the rationale for not having access to these apps, do you know?
    More bull**** :) (thought Android was meant to be as open as an OS can be).

So rooting it'll have to be then. :)
    Any handy links to how to do this.
    (it'll probably invalidate the warranty, i take it).

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I have the acer liquid. GREAT phone and plenty of power under the hood. Everyone has a HTC it is nice to have something different.

The Liquid looks like an interesting phone for the price (a good bit cheaper than the Desire admittedly).
    But it's an earlier version of Android- is it upgradeable to the newest version?

What's the UI on it like- how would it compare to the HTC UI.
    I'm not that familiar with Acer- they took over Eten a while back (who also did inexpensive-ish smartphones) but they're newish to the smartphone market other than that, aren't they.

RonMexico wrote: »
    Everyone has a HTC it is nice to have something different.

HTC is the geekier alternative to the iphone.
    Could the Acer Liquid be the geekier, savvier alternative to the HTC, so to speak :D:p

No, i see what you mean- the Liquid got the editors choice in the Smartphone Essentials awards there recently so it should be decent.
    Any downsides to it that you've found?
    Might look at a few comparisons of the Desire and Liquid.

• Advertisement

No you're wrong mkennedy. The true geekiest phone is the Nokia N900, without a doubt :p

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

In the next couple of weeks double twist (the itunes alternative) will allow you to download from the marketplace inc paid apps. Its already on the mac version www.doubletwist.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

RonMexico wrote: »
    I have the acer liquid. GREAT phone and plenty of power under the hood. Everyone has a HTC it is nice to have something different.

Eh? In my experience most people have never even heard of HTC!

Eh? In my experience most people have never even heard of HTC!
    Most people (In Ireland atleast) only know a few of the major phone brands:

Nokia, Apple, Sony Ericsson, Motorola and possibly Samsung and LG aswell. I would imagine more people know Acer (For their laptops and computer parts) than HTC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

What I meant was that of the smartphone choices available on the Irish market everyone seems to be going with htc particularly the hero. You can only get the acer liquid online at the moment although the carphone warehouse has taken it up in the uk. Acer have confirmed that the handset will be upgraded to eclair at the end of the month and it can certainly handle it thanks to the snapdragon under the hood. It is faster than the iphone, nexus and hero and the build quality is great. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Advertisement