Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking To Live In The US

Options
  • 10-04-2010 6:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm a bit lost on all this stuff about living in the US. Basically, I'm not really looking forward to working in Dublin once I finish school and am looking at moving out of Ireland. I don't think I'd be able to afford living over there if I was in college, I'm not ruling it out but I'd probably be better off financially working 5 days a week.

What possibilities is there for me to work over there? I'm assuming I can't just move there and get work 5 days a week like normal people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm a bit lost on all this stuff about living in the US. Basically, I'm not really looking forward to working in Dublin once I finish school and am looking at moving out of Ireland. I don't think I'd be able to afford living over there if I was in college, I'm not ruling it out but I'd probably be better off financially working 5 days a week.

What possibilities is there for me to work over there? I'm assuming I can't just move there and get work 5 days a week like normal people?
    America is finished,your better off moving east,and no i'm not joking,if you want to make money go to asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

digme wrote: »
    America is finished,your better off moving east,and no i'm not joking,if you want to make money go to asia.

I'm not looking to make money in a get rich sense, I'm just looking to live in the US and have enough money to live normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

It'll be almost impossible for you to get a visa to work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You are not going to get a work visa without a college degree- and probably a Masters. Student visas are easy though, if you have the money for the high college fees. Or go to college here, then do an (usually free) exchange porogram for a year, that will give you an idea what it's like living over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I'd better shut down the laptop so*. Time to pack my bags and move on.

* it would appear that we still have electricity. And looking out the window, I don't see any looters yet. Sure it's only a matter of time :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

America is finished
    America endured worse economic times during the Great Depression of 1929 into the 1930s.

All developed nations experience downturns in their economic cycles, and America is in a dip at present. Barring a double dip in close sequence as occurred during the Great Depression, economic recovery should be in full swing by 2011, although it is predicted that unemployment will be a serious problem through 2010. So if these predictions are valid, 2010 would not be the best time to immigrate for work in the US, but 2011 and beyond may hold worthwhile opportunities for the bright and highly motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

As others have said it is difficult to move to the US. There is however a lottery every year for green cards for people from eligible countries (incl Ireland). It has closed now for 2011 visas but should open this summer for 2012 visas, details are here. It may never happen for you but if you're not in you can't win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Wuggectumondo

How about Australia or Canada?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

right now the only visas that are being given out (other than diversity lottery winners) are to partners of american citizens, and qualified workers who are being sponsored by big companies.....and even in those cases you have at least 6 months of paperwork and waiting and also well over a grand in fees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

America endured worse economic times during the Great Depression of 1929 into the 1930s.

All developed nations experience downturns in their economic cycles, and America is in a dip at present. Barring a double dip in close sequence as occurred during the Great Depression, economic recovery should be in full swing by 2011, although it is predicted that unemployment will be a serious problem through 2010. So if these predictions are valid, 2010 would not be the best time to immigrate for work in the US, but 2011 and beyond may hold worthwhile opportunities for the bright and highly motivated.
    the bright people go to Asia not America.Singapore makes the usa look like Ethiopia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

the bright people go to Asia not America.Singapore makes the usa look like Ethiopia.

Priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Here's a nice fact, in previous years, 65,000 H1B visas (work visas) were available. Every year, they have all been given out within days of the cap opening. This year, 2010, however, we are in August, and only c. 27,000 H1B visas have been given out. That means that 40,000 or so less companies are getting H1B visas. It's extremely difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

lil_lisa wrote: »
    This year, 2010, however, we are in August, and only c. 27,000 H1B visas have been given out. That means that 40,000 or so less companies are getting H1B visas. It's extremely difficult.

This is a real sign of the economic times, for a H1B the company has to show that they cannot get a suitable American for the job and that's just often not the case anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Captainship

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I'm not looking to make money in a get rich sense, I'm just looking to live in the US and have enough money to live normally.
    Normally there is nothing normal in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

Let me preface my response by stating I agree with Blue Lagoon - the US economic salmon run will begin anew - it always does. It might just take a little longer than normal as this obviously is not the "normal" economic downturn cycle. For the bright, educated and motivated - good opportunities will exist. Unfortunately, unlike past Irish migration patterns (of which I am a beneficiary), it does not appear the US will benefit from bright, educated, motivated Irish emigrants this time around - this is to the US' detriment.

That said, as Digme alludes to, if one were to look at "potential" areas of economic opportunity to exploit over the past 200 years or so, I offer the following. If one were an ambitious young man or woman in:

1800 - London would be the place to be
    1900 - New York City would be the place to be
    2000 - Shanghai would be the place to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

cheesehead wrote: »
    Let me preface my response by stating I agree with Blue Lagoon - the US economic salmon run will begin anew - it always does. It might just take a little longer than normal as this obviously is not the "normal" economic downturn cycle. For the bright, educated and motivated - good opportunities will exist. Unfortunately, unlike past Irish migration patterns (of which I am a beneficiary), it does not appear the US will benefit from bright, educated, motivated Irish emigrants this time around - this is to the US' detriment.

That said, as Digme alludes to, if one were to look at "potential" areas of economic opportunity to exploit over the past 200 years or so, I offer the following. If one were an ambitious young man or woman in:

1800 - London would be the place to be
    1900 - New York City would be the place to be
    2000 - Shanghai would be the place to be

What they don't get from Ireland they will get from somewhere else, simple as!

Advertisement