Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One peace cleaning Rod

Options
  • 10-04-2010 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Looking on the net last night saw a few one peace cleaning rods,does anyone use these as I personally don't like the 3 peace ones as the ones I have always seem to spread at the joints

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sinclair do Tipton one piece rods and all the accesories. Have a few for my rifles.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Parker-Hale 1 piece rods are excellent. Free floating handle so the brushes can rotate as they follow your rifling. About ST£18 in NI last time I bought one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

some lads will opt for carbon fibre rods other for steel. i prefer steel myself. carbon fibre is softer than steel so it should be easier on a barrel if it comes in contact with it. but carbon fibre can absorb copper filings over time making it abrasive.

invest in a bore guide regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I only use a one piece for my full bores but cannot get one for my 17HMR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Traumadoc wrote: »

These have one and brushes, jags & patches too

http://www.sinclairintl.com/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I have both Tipton and Parker Hale rods for my rifles. I always opt for one piece. Reduces the risk of scoring in your barrel that may come with a three/multiple piece rod.

Recently though my father bought a Bore Tech rod from Jim griffin in Rahan. He has gotten a new order of them in. All calibers and lengths. Excellent rod. Strong sturdy and very, very, very long. He bought it for his new Savage. It has a 52" rod and 6" handle. Takes all his existing heads (which is nice).

borestix2_large.jpg

Look around local gun shops. Prices may be a bit more than on the internet, but take into the equation, shipping, fit, and suitability to your rifle.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Milsey

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I have a one piece for my .17hmr they can be got. I got mine off a dealer in Ballymahon. Maybe sinclair have them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dunlopwellies

I have a gun snake/ pull through for my gun. It’s a God send. I used to hate cleaning the gun the “old” way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I have a gun snake/ pull through for my gun. It’s a God send. I used to hate cleaning the gun the “old” way

*grabs popcorn*

:D

There should be an "unlike" button on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Jonty wrote: »
    some lads will opt for carbon fibre rods other for steel. i prefer steel myself. carbon fibre is softer than steel so it should be easier on a barrel if it comes in contact with it. but carbon fibre can absorb copper filings over time making it abrasive.

invest in a bore guide regardless

If the steel of the cleaning rod is harder than that of the barrel, it will scratch it. Copper filings are softer than steel, so what would they abrade?
    :confused:
    P.

If the steel of the cleaning rod is harder than that of the barrel, it will scratch it. Copper filings are softer than steel, so what would they abrade?
    :confused:
    P.

All my rifles are chrome lined barrels. This should make them harder than any mild steel rod. I personally don't like carbon fibre ones as I believe they do absorb dirt because they are softer and over time can act like an abrasive. This is just my personal thing.

Would you agree with me that the use of a bore guide would prevent contact and that you could run a rod up the barrel without risk of contact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Jonty wrote: »
    All my rifles are chrome lined barrels. This should make them harder than any mild steel rod. I personally don't like carbon fibre ones as I believe they do absorb dirt because they are softer and over time can act like an abrasive. This is just my personal thing.

Would you agree with me that the use of a bore guide would prevent contact and that you could run a rod up the barrel without risk of contact?

The guys already have the popcorn out, so to each his/her own, I'm not getting into a big debate on this or on cleaning procedures. ;)

I've no idea about the absorbency or otherwise of a carbon fibre rod – but why would it be used in cars and boats if it absorbed the surrounding liquids? Even if it did, and copper particles attached themselves to a carbon rod, I don't understand how they could damage any barrel made of steel/ chrome-lined / steel molybdenium, etc., unless the particles were a copper alloy with a very hard metal in it.???
    P.

The guys already have the popcorn out, so to each his/her own, I'm not getting into a big debate on this or on cleaning procedures. ;)

I've no idea about the absorbency or otherwise of a carbon fibre rod – but why would it be used in cars and boats if it absorbed the surrounding liquids? Even if it did, and copper particles attached themselves to a carbon rod, I don't understand how they could damage any barrel made of steel/ chrome-lined / steel molybdenium, etc., unless the particles were a copper alloy with a very hard metal in it.???
    P.

I don't know. I just use a steel rod. I know if I use a bore guide, which I do, It'll be OK.;)

Advertisement