Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 Unlimited internet access

Options
  • 10-04-2010 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi all,

Picked up an IPhone on O2's plan of 60 euro per month, to include unlimited internet access on the iphone. As I was speaking to a member of the O2 staff I mentioned that the Iphone was free with Vodaphone's plan. He replied that they are capped at 2gb data transfer whilst they are "unlimited".

Unlimited to the point of Fair usage applies - but does anyone know what fair usage is? From dealing with the carphone warehouse yesterday evening we discovered it's 3GB. I was given no literature on my rights on what happens after the "unlimited" cap is reached.

Anyone have any views on this - what happens post-3GB?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Cringer wrote: »
    Hi all,

Picked up an IPhone on O2's plan of 60 euro per month, to include unlimited internet access on the iphone. As I was speaking to a member of the O2 staff I mentioned that the Iphone was free with Vodaphone's plan. He replied that they are capped at 2gb data transfer whilst they are "unlimited".

Unlimited to the point of Fair usage applies - but does anyone know what fair usage is? From dealing with the carphone warehouse yesterday evening we discovered it's 3GB. I was given no literature on my rights on what happens after the "unlimited" cap is reached.

Anyone have any views on this - what happens post-3GB?

They charge you. Myself and others complained to the Advertising Standards and had the complaint upheld, about their lack of transparency, and their use of "unlimited" when it is in fact quite clearly limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Cringer

Thanks for the reply - so when you had the complaint upheld, what (if anything) happened? If you were charged were you able to have that charge removed from your account? It's very frustrating as the o2 rep was adament there was no limit to the bandwidth usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

whiterebel wrote: »
    They charge you. Myself and others complained to the Advertising Standards and had the complaint upheld, about their lack of transparency, and their use of "unlimited" when it is in fact quite clearly limited.

Not quite right IIRC. They send you a letter warning you that you are, taking the p1ss to be honest... like using it too much.
    O2 Advance Fair Use Policy

"Data Fair Use: O2 has developed the fair use policy to ensure that all customers have a good mobile internet experience. It is important that customer use of unlimited data for mobile internet browsing is fair and reasonable and O2 reserves the rights set out below where your usage exceeds 3GB in a monthly billing cycle. O2 has developed this threshold by reference to average high data usage for browsing on the mobile handset. In addition all usage must be for private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may only use the feature for Internet Browsing on your Smartphone device. The service is restricted for use on the ‘Internet’ APN and you will be charged if you use a different APN. You may not use the unlimited data for mobile internet browsing if you are using your device as a modem or with your SIM card in or connected to any other device including modems. You may not use your unlimited data feature to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, to enable Peer to Peer or file sharing, or in any way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers.
    If O2 reasonably suspects you are not acting in accordance with the fair usage requirements, and having attempted to contact you first, O2 reserves the right to switch you to an alternate inclusive data option with standard browsing charges, to impose network protection controls which may reduce your speed of transmission, to remove the Unlimited Data feature from your account or to terminate your price plan or your account. O2 reserves the right to withdraw or amend this offer at any time on reasonable notice."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 82,771 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The O2 billpay mobile broadband device has a limit of 15GB a month and costs €19.99, one would assume that by offering an unlimited package with the IPhone that this would be even in fair use terms in excess of the 15GB limit, how they are allowed to get away with putting such a tiny limit on it and calling it unlimited is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

The O2 billpay mobile broadband device has a limit of 15GB a month and costs €19.99, one would assume that by offering an unlimited package with the IPhone that this would be even in fair use terms in excess of the 15GB limit, how they are allowed to get away with putting such a tiny limit on it and calling it unlimited is beyond me.

For mobile browsing, 3GB per month is plenty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

penexpers wrote: »
    Not if you're streaming (yes I got a certain thread in mind)...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Cringer wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply - so when you had the complaint upheld, what (if anything) happened? If you were charged were you able to have that charge removed from your account? It's very frustrating as the o2 rep was adament there was no limit to the bandwidth usage.

I'm not with O2, just got fed up with all the comms companies mangling the language to suit themselves. Anyway, ASAI agreed that there was no transparency, and no disclaimer about a limit. That is probably why upandcumming can now show a paragraph about the fair usage policy which wasn't there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,771 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

penexpers wrote: »

56k was also plenty 10 years ago, it's not now, times have moved on, 3GB is not enough if your using your phone the way it was intended and advertised to be used.

Advertisement