Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Visa Interview, docs to prove its only a temporary stay?

Options
  • 10-04-2010 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi All

Can't find an answer to my question here so i've started this tread

I need to apply for a B-2 holiday visa for the US as I don't qualify for the VWP but im not sure how to prove that my stay is only temporay.

Im currently unemployed so can't use a job as proof of return. All my family are resident here in Ireland so I will use that, but again how do I prove this?

I have spent time in Australia, New Zealand and Southeast Aisa all within visa times so I have a history of obeying visa, will this be enough?

I dont think money will be an issue as i have €4000 in the bank and are only planning on staying for a month.

Any ideas, suggestions or advise from people who have gone through this process would be very appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Do you have any bank loans that need paying off? I think that counts as having something to go back to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Artfully Dodgin

Ruu wrote: »
    Do you have any bank loans that need paying off? I think that counts as having something to go back to.

I dont as im debt free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Do you have no commitments whatsoever to being back in Ireland? Return ticket, rental lease/mortgage, letter saying that you are attending an educational institute or will be?

D-Generate wrote: »
    Do you have no commitments whatsoever to being back in Ireland? Return ticket, rental lease/mortgage, letter saying that you are attending an educational institute or will be?

Ill have a return ticket. But I have no debts, have no rent or mortage, only pay bills and are currently unemployed. All my family are living here.

Thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I may be wrong...

But you're not going to get denied entry into the US because you're unemployed, in debt, or as someone in a thread a few months ago asked you're not considered attractive...

If you've spent time in prison, or are currently on the run then its going to be difficult but otherwise its down to the US aurhorities to give you a good reason why you cant be admitted.

Also I seriously doubt that it ever comes down to the sole discretion of a US immigration officer, they have strict rules they have to follow and i suspect denying someone entry is a pretty big deal.

Actually it would be interesting to start a thread on the subject; has anyone ever been denied entry to the US or been deported?

• Advertisement

Your probably right..

I'm usually relaxed about visa's and stuff but with the US the forms and process is so pedantic ("in the air" is in the list of countries you were born in!) it was making me wonder how anal I will need to be at the interview.

In comparsion it took me 10 minutes to get a 12 month WHV for Australia and its going to take about 3 months just to get a holiday visa for the US as I need to get police cert from NZ, OZ and UK

Bloody Bin Laden!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

InTheTrees wrote: »
    you're not going to get denied entry into the US because... as someone in a thread a few months ago asked you're not considered attractive...

Tongue in cheek I'm sure?!

I agree with InTheTrees however I also think it is better to be safe than sorry. Going on a holiday to the US shouldn't be a problem, you mentioned you are ineligible for the VWP, so obviously it depends on where you are from or whether or not you have a criminal record.

I've never had any problems with US immigration (touch wood) but having gone through the paperwork numerous times and having seen other people go through the paperwork for all sorts of different government organisations over here I know that they are quite pedantic.

But having heard some stories and having been present in the US Embassy while people were there for their interviews I can safely say that the most reason people would get turned away or deported is pure and utter stupidity (barring actually doing anything illegal). Some people really can't follow simple instructions. While I agree the US system is quite laborious and a little complicated, it is pretty well explained if you take the time to read the instructions and it's really not rocket science if you put in a little bit of work.
    InTheTrees wrote: »
    its down to the US aurhorities to give you a good reason why you cant be admitted.

Also I seriously doubt that it ever comes down to the sole discretion of a US immigration officer, they have strict rules they have to follow and i suspect denying someone entry is a pretty big deal.

I doubt it comes down to the sole discretion of the immigration officer, however I do think that they have the discretion to send you up the line if they want, and I'd rather have all my paperwork ready at the desk than have to explain myself to anyone in the little office behind it.

I would dispute the fact that they need a good reason not to let you in, you have no God given right to be let into a foreign country no matter where it is and they're entitled to deny you entry if they have any reason to believe you will be a problem for them.

spideog7 wrote: »
    it is pretty well explained if you take the time to read the instructions and it's really not rocket science if you put in a little bit of work.

I agree its not complicated at all, just long winded.

Can you now however answer my original question:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Have you booked flights yet? Return tickets are usually useful. Also they will ask why you're going over and if it is just for a holiday give a bit of detail about it, why you've decided to go now, how you're affording it without a job and maybe you can mention pending job applications or something. I'm sure they're more lenient about unemployed people now than before with the recession (although I don't know what their views were before).

So just try and prove that you don't have reason to immigrate to the US on this B-2 visa and you should be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Can you now however answer my original question:D

Hah, sorry!

Think of the actual reason why you are coming back and then get proof of that. Maybe if you're signing on you'll have some forms associated with that. It's a difficult enough thing to prove, if you have parents or something here then they will have jobs, mortgage, property deeds etc. And you have family ties to them, that should more than likely be proof enough (if they even ask for anything, I've never applied for a B2 but in my experience I've never needed anything more than verbal confirmation of my reasons for returning).

• Advertisement
Advertisement