Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trade-In,Sell on, or live with it?

• 10-04-2010 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    Currently I own a Nikon D3 which I bought online in late 2008. I love the camera and am sold on the future of full frame sensor's and thus want to continue down this route. My only gripe is that the D3 is very heavy and not ideal as an all-round grab and take with you camera. I know it is not exactly marketed as a grab-and-go camera but its what I got.
    Now I am considering jumping ship to the Canon 5D MkII. It would mean trading in or selling the D3 along with the 24-120 and 70-200mm lenses, and I am wondering (as cash is pretty tight now) how far I would get converting to Canon gear. Ie. Would it get me a 5D and 24-15mm f4 + maybe an 85mm f/1.8 or 1.4.
    If going this route, should I throw it all on eBay and hope for the best? Or would I be better served by trying to get trade-in value at the likes of Berminghams or such?
    Or finally, should I just put the idea out of my head completely and live with what I have, as I know its a very very VERY capable camera which I do love the layout,feel and workings of, but its just. too. heavy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

have you felt the wight of a 5DII and a 24-105, that's not all that light or small either, still isn't a easy to grab and go camera. What did you own before the D3 that was smaller?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Erm...have you considered the D700?

That's the smaller full frame sensor camera from Nikon... you won't lose your money selling lenses second hand and just lose the D3 depreciation hit...

It's basically the 5D I.5 ;) (superior to the 5D, leapfrogged by 5D II) - and there are rumors (isn't there always?) of a replacement for the Nikon D700 coming "soon".

I'd consider giving the D700 a go before switching over to Canon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

The other route which would seem to suggest itself is sell the D3 body and pick up a D700.

Form factor is similar to the 5D, you get to keep your glass and the sensor, autofocus system etc etc of the D3, and a user interface that you're used to.

Price wise, D700's seem to be going for roughly similar to 5D's, although it might be a bit easier to pick up a 5D second hand, D700's seem a bit thinner on the ground. I would have thought it should be at least a cost neutral transaction for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Erm...have you considered the D700?

LOL got distracted while I was typing :D What he said ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I've looked at the D700 alright, was fairly annoyed after I'd splurged on the D3 back when I did as not soon after buying it, they released the D700 which I could have got from the start if I'd only waited. Still I dont regret buying the D3, it's a great camera. I do like the look's of the 5D MkII plus the additional HD video recording is interesting to say the least. I might hold on and see what Nikon has up its slieve for replacing the D700 and see can it whet my appetite...

@DotOrg, I had a D80 previously along with the obligatory battery grip etc but sold that on to finance the D3 investment. Also have a Canon G10 and Olympus E-420 currently but the girlfriend tends to commandere those more often than not. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

dakar wrote: »
    LOL got distracted while I was typing :D What he said ^^

Lol ;)

The early bird catches the worm... the early worm gets eaten :/

And here's a weight comparison for you:
    D3 - 1240g, D700 - 995g, 5D II -810g

so D700 is roughly 75% weight of D3
    5D is 80% weight of D700 or 66% of D3.

I remember picking up a D3 in Japan...promptly put it back down again ;) Built like a brick, solid as a brick...I was going to stick to my cute and light D40 (moved onto the D90 now...) and camera backpack currently weighs 10kg - how things have moved on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

For reference, a D3 with a 24-120mm lens is 1.8kg, whereas the 5D MkII with the 24-105mm lens will come to 1.5kg. Switching your D3 for a D700 will bring you down to just under 1.6kg with the 24-120mm. Effectively, although you will notice a bit of a difference by moving to one of the prosumer full-frame SLRs, you're still looking at a hefty piece of kit when you've got a decent zoom lens attached.

Really, unless you're willing to shell out for a Leica M9, the phrases 'full-frame' and 'grab-and-go' just don't go together. Have you considered picking up a micro four-thirds camera like the GF1, and using it for those times when lugging around the D3 just wouldn't be feasible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

TBH a difference of 300grams(Maximum) isn't a huge difference, Just spend 10 minutes a day picking up and putting down the camera and soon you'll be able to do this :pac:
    juza_sigma_lense-500x333.jpg

@Thraktor, indeed I have an Olympus E-420 which in istelf is alright, but whenever I take it out I'm always thinking "I should have my D3 with me..." which leads me back to my original problem. I'd even consider selling the Olympus kit I have as well at the same time if I'm going to be jumping ship I may as well go whole hog.
    The issue I have with the D700 is the life cycle stage it's at now... I don't want to repeat the scenerio I already have by moving to the D700 and possibly having its replacement be released a month or two down the line.
    Also I'd like the extra megapixel's that the 5D MKII has, as I believe it has similar noise handling to the D3 but with an extra 9 megapixel's that's quite appealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

In that case I'd wait until the successor to the D700 is announced. Keep in mind that, even if you pick up a 5D MkII, you could still be caught out if a D700x gets announced a week later with a feature-set you would have preferred, along with the ability to keep your current lenses. The D700 is the oldest camera in Nikon's lineup, so you shouldn't have that long to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

I'm also waiting for the D700x or whatever it will be called. Hope they announce it soon:). Why not wait and see what it has to offer before making your decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I'm waiting for the 5D mk III, I love the Mk II but I'd like a more modern AF system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'm waiting for the 5D mk III, I love the Mk II but I'd like a more modern AF system.

It's not modern in the MKII? :confused:

Seems a bit stupid that they wouldn't update it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

majiktripp wrote: »
    Also have a Canon G10 and Olympus E-420 currently but the girlfriend tends to commandere those more often than not. :)

I've got a Canon 40D and was kinda caught at a recently family event to which I physically couldn't bring it, and am thinking of a G10/G11 to supplement it on occasions like this. How do you find it use-wise and quality-wise? Would you prefer it or the 420?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have a Canon 1dmk3 and dont find it too heavy, comes most places with me. My 5d with a grip is around the same weight

Freddie59 wrote: »
    How do you find it use-wise and quality-wise? Would you prefer it or the 420?

Definitely prefere the G10, I think it gives much better pictures and is very easy to use. However I would recommend the G9 or G11 before going for the G10 again, I find that while a good camera and easy to use, it can be quite noisy and has a tendency to chromatic aberration (fringing) more so than the G11, as they reduced the number of megapixel's on the sensor and tweaked it a bit compared to the G10's.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    It's not modern in the MKII? :confused:

Seems a bit stupid that they wouldn't update it..

I take it you don't read DPreview forums?

It's basically the 5D AF system...

5D1/2 is a landscape/wedding Cam and not geared towards sports etc
    I mean you learn to adapt but I want the best of everything. ;)

I take it you don't read DPreview forums?

It's basically the 5D AF system...

5D1/2 is a landscape/wedding Cam and not geared towards sports etc
    I mean you learn to adapt but I want the best of everything. ;)

Get an old 1ds MkII then!! :)

Too big!!
    Tiny LCD...I could go on, I did say the best all round Camera.
    I've learned to use my Camera to it's strengths...
    Doesn't mean I can't lick my lips in anticipation for the future 5D mk III! :D

Too big!!
    Tiny LCD...I could go on, I did say the best all round Camera.
    I've learned to use my Camera to it's strengths...
    Doesn't mean I can't lick my lips in anticipation for the future 5D mk III! :D

It still wont have a decent af!! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement