Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trouble setting up Hyper V manager

• 10-04-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭

Im trying to setup the hyper v manager to work with my server running windows server 2008 R2 Core Hyper-v but i keep getting: "cannot connect to the RPC service on computer 188.***.***.*** make sure your RPC service is running." in the hyper v manager. i have disabled all firewalls on my side in case that is the problem. i can RDP into the server but since its not the full server 2008 os all i get is a command prompt and some other blue window.
    serverm.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Windows Core Command line......................

Disable Firewall
    netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off

Allow Remote Desktop
    netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group=”remote desktop” new enable=yes

Allow Remote Administration
    netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group=”Remote Administration” new enable=yes

Allow Remote Firewall Administration
    netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group=”Windows Firewall Remote Management” new enable=yes

Allow Ping
    netsh firewall set icmpsetting 8

Connect to remote Server Core w/ out domain (this is done on management box)
    cmdkey /add:<ServerCore> /user:<UserName> /pass:<password>

Export Security Policy
    secedit /export /db secedit.sbd /cfg <Policy File Name>

Import Security Policy
    secedit /configure /db secedit.sdb /cfg sctest.inf /overwrite

Allow Remote Disk Management
    THIS HAS to be done on BOTH SIDES!!!
    netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group=”Remote Volume Management” new enable=yes

Allow Remote Device Mgr
    1. On a Windows Vista or full Server installation, start the Group Policy Object MMC snap-in
    2. Connect to the Server Core installation
    3. Navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Device Installation
    4. Enable “Allow remote access to the PnP interface”
    5. Restart the Server Core installation
    or
    Via GPO

Things to Note:
    - Firewall rules will have to be re-adjusted after Domain Join

Try this as well to check the Services

sc query | find “SERVICE_NAME:” > servicelist.txt

(This is all a bit of general information, but I stopped using HyperV+Core a while ago)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

never did manage to get hyper v core working even after trying your instructions and many others so i splashed out on the full version of server 2008.
    thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

No worries, If you need any help with 2008 let me know, I have a lot more experience with the full system.

Advertisement