Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Major space policy speech."

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

nasatv coverage started
    Well as expected....no good news:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,213 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Beeker wrote: »

congrats on post 1000

like he said decision to finish with the shuttle was made a good few years ago

will be interesting to see how quick orion becomes a usable vehicle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Well as SG had being saying he expected a carrot.

Orion to be continued "to ensure our people on the ISS do not have to depend on a foreign power"

erm What Launch vehicle will Orion arriave to the ISS on MR President?

The heavy launch vechicle and Orion will no doubt be fully flight ready this time next month!

Interesting that the only former Astronauts there were Charlie{I'm all right Jack} Bolden and Buzz Aldrin;)

History may well look back on the plans with favour?

But meanwhile it's twenty years of thumb twiddling for American manned spaceflight lovers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

ynotdu wrote: »

Orion to be continued "to ensure our people on the ISS do not have to depend on a foreign power"

The heavy launch vechicle and Orion will no doubt be fully flight ready this time next month!

Interesting that the only former Astronauts there were Charlie{I'm all right Jack} Bolden and Buzz Aldrin;)

But meanwhile it's twenty years of thumb twiddling for American manned spaceflight lovers.
    Yeah! sad day:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

A great big load of bollox!:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

A crock of Sh!te comes to mind :mad:

This post from a guy on the NASASpaceflight forums sums it up well imo.

JFK "We choose to go to the moon!"

BHO "We choose to uh, build an escape pod."

To be Honest thats a very good assessment , for me personally as a SPACE fan , its a sad day , Thanks Mr Pres :(

lord lucan wrote: »
    A great big load of bollox!:(:(:(

You said it Leo !!!!!

Not many will know the emotion held within those few words !!!

Short sighted idiots!:mad:
    May our decendents look back and forgive our generation for delaying the inevitable.
    As the great Carl Sagan once said " The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves we will one day venture to the stars".

Somehow I feel that this decision has pushed that day further into the future.:(

Beeker depressed....sulks off to drink some beer:(

• Advertisement

It Speaks the truth LL!

No escaping that!:)

Even the backdrop for his speech was bland , a stairwell , i turned it off , i couldnt listen to the gibberish :mad:

May our decendents look back and forgive our generation for delaying the inevitable.
    As the great Carl Sagan once said " The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves we will one day venture to the stars".

Somehow I feel that this decision has pushed that day further into the future.:(

Beer is the only solution for us ALL:(

As the Great Lord Lucan once said: "What a load of Bollox"!:)

Beer is the only solution for us ALL:(

As the Great Lord Lucan once said: "What a load of Bollox"!:)

:D:D:D:D A wise man our LL:D:D:D:D

AGREED ..................> Stargate`s with ya on this one Beeky :D

:D:D:D:D A wise man our LL:D:D:D:D

Lol! We have to laugh or We will cry!:)

Nice bottle of Millers in hand , a toast to Obama and the end of our beloved Shuttle :eek::mad::(

....and Leo , if you post later LOCKED i wont even rip ya about it .......Promise !!;)

Lol! We have to laugh or We will cry!:)

While i wasn't expecting anything different it was still dreadful to hear it from the horses mouth. Dressed up for a public who don't know much about spaceflight,it'll make good soundbites in the papers tomorrow. HLV,Orion,Mars etc. sound good for general consumption.

Sadly i think i've seen the last great Space adventures in my lifetime. A fly-by of Mars isn't wholly exciting given we've seen 2 great rovers beam back brilliant pictures from the Martian surface already.

I'm off to get some beer and a black armband.:(

Stargate wrote: »
    ....and Leo , if you post later LOCKED i wont even rip ya about it .......Promise !!;)

I'll put the laptop away later or i may be banned from Boards if i start posting while hammered again!:D

• Advertisement

Nice bottle of Millers in hand , a toast to Obama and the end of our beloved Shuttle :eek::mad::(

A toast to the Idiotic Bush jnr who made the 'big speech' about Constellation after loss of Columbia...................He just 'forgot' to fund it!!! the Prick!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭calabi yau

It's very disappointing news indeed. I would love to see man walk on mars in my lifetime.

While i wasn't expecting anything different it was still dreadful to hear it from the horses mouth. Dressed up for a public who don't know much about spaceflight,it'll make good soundbites in the papers tomorrow. HLV,Orion,Mars etc. sound good for general consumption.

Sadly i think i've seen the last great Space adventures in my lifetime. A fly-by of Mars isn't wholly exciting given we've seen 2 great rovers beam back brilliant pictures from the Martian surface already.

I'm off to get some beer and a black armband.:(

as well as the black armband i believe a White Souvenier flag of surrender is available from Bolden.Com;)

as well as the black armband i believe a White Souvenier flag of surrender is available from Bolden.Com;)

haha Bolden.Com :D i think Obama had Bolden by the short and curlys if you ask me :rolleyes:

haha Bolden.Com :D i think Obama had Bolden by the short and curlys if you ask me :rolleyes:

I think Bolden still has a high profile job,proably a Hugh pension as well as brown envelopes from private contractors coming his way!

People can only be held by the 'short&Curlies if they choose to!

He is a Traitor to the Astronaut corp and the etho's that was NASA. IMO:mad:

Me not like him,I thought he 'might' have been 'hanging' in there because Obama was playing games to get the votes of Senators&Congressmen for the health care bill and he knew something that We did not know,but after the speech NO! He is just 'looking after number one' fcuk him:mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

From the BBC news reports of that speach, I'm rather disappointed at the low-hanging/easily cancelled set goals but not suprised given the economic situation.

Manach wrote: »
    From the BBC news reports of that speach, I'm rather disappointed at the low-hanging/easily cancelled set goals but not suprised given the economic situation.

Hi Manach:). The thing is that Money spent on Manned Spaceflight has always been MORE than paid back by new technology developed&Patented,and in one fluke case an Apollo Astronaut took photo's that Geoligists realised the land was Rich in Minerals and fuel.

It is a false economy to scale it down.Obama is a very clever guy,makes it all the more surprising that he has chosen to long finger it all.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

I believe this view is slightly more apt:

JFK: "We will go to the moon by the time this decade is up"

Bush: "We will go back to the moon and then somehow will be able to go to Mars"

Obama: "We've been to the moon, lets develop emerging technologies that will allow us to go explore solar system"

Like many here I was initially opposed to this. When I saw the details the choice was obvious. For only a few years of having to rely on Soyuz for trips to the ISS, the US will be able to maintain leadership in space.

This is probably the best decision for spaceflight since JFK's inspirational speech. We might actually get to see humans on astroids and mars now. Did anyone actually think for a second chemical rockets could take us beyond earths orbit?! They simply dont have the specific impulse necessary, thus making them ridiculously impractable. Massive quanities of fuel would be required to get anywhere other than the moon, making them an incredibly expensive, slow and unfeasible method of propulsion.

Finally, since Apollo, NASA will start investing in NEW technologies to get to new places. Constallation/chemical rocketery was never bringing manned spaceflight anywhere other than the moon. It was going to be using technology that was 50 years old. The goal is to open the entire solar system up to fast and affordable manned spaceflight, not simply go back to the moon for a few expensive trips. New space optimised propulsion like multiwatt ion engines that are very fast, amazing specific impulses and other "game-changing technologies" as such, are clearly the way forward. VASIMR also solves the radiation problems associated with manned interplanetary travel. For it a space capable nuclear reactor needs to be developed. Bigalow Transhubs will provide for much greater living space aswell as stronger hulls. Fuel depots are obvious. These and many other technologies are only awaiting proper funding which this plan will provide. Lifting the burden of having to fund and launch rockets to LEO off NASA and onto commersial companies will not only free up a lot of time and funds for NASA to focus on new propulsion technologies, but also eventually make getting into space more affordable.

Constallation was implemented by that idiot bush with no real thought behind it, like most of his decisions. It was heavily underfunded, a date of 2020 was never achievable with out spending huge sums. We will without a doubt get to Mars(and the whole solar system) faster this way.
    Its worth noting that NASA has pointed out that a new heavy lift rocket employing newer technologies will actually be developed faster under Obama's plan than Bush's constallation disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

I don't understand the mourning for constellation, this new plan has more potential and is more achievable.

• Advertisement

I don't understand the mourning for constellation, this new plan has more potential and is more achievable.

Hi Invisable,It is NOT mourning for Consellation,it is mourning for the start stop,start stop,since America first chose to explore Space.

If it was not for programmes being changed by diffrient administrations for spurious reasons,and funding always been in short supply{The real short-sightedness}All that is only asperational now would most likely be a reality by now,or much closer than it is.}

NASA at the mercy of popular misconceptions about the cost of the space programme,and the mercy of a political football}

It is NOT nasa or its workers who have let America down.

Advertisement