Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing Home Ec. outside of school

Options
  • 10-04-2010 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering if anyone here does home ec. outside school. I'd like to do it but i don't think it will be available this year.

Is it a subject that you could manage to do on your own without a teacher?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭WanderingSoul

From what I've heard from older students the Home Ec course is meant to be very broad, detailed and long so that would lead me to think no but I haven't done it myself (obviously, considering I'm only a 3rd year) so I may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

Well you'll need a registered teacher to sign off your 20% food studies journal.

After that, the course is very broad, detailed and boring at parts. I personally love Home Ec. but out of the what 15 in my class, only 4 passed (as in 3 got D grades and 1 got a B (;]) in ) the mocks. You really need to know your stuff in detail but the answers are really short if you follow the layout and know everything inside out.

The best advice I can give you is to maybe get grinds about 2 times a week and work on your journal with a teacher separately that can sign it off for you.

The journal is so long and took up about 4 of the 5 classes for about three quarters of fifth year. Then again, I switched 5 months into the year and got the journal completed before the rest of the class. It really depends on how motivated you are and how much work you're willing to put into it. If you want an A1 it'll be a long battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Thanks for the advice!
    Yeah, I would be looking for a fairly high grade in it and it sounds like its a subject which needs a lot of dedication, so I'd say I'd be better off just sticking with my 7 subjects in school.

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭yourmother

Home Ec is one of the subjects that receive the lowest percentage of A1's. Don't know why, personally I like home ec but A1's are rare from what I've been told/read.

Advertisement