Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giant CRS 1.0 or 2.0

• 10-04-2010 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking to use the cycle to work tax saver scheme and have been looking at both of these bikes. My commute would be from Swords to Dublin city centre and I would realistically only be doing it 2-3 times a week during the bright evening months. I have a crappy Shockwave hybrid I bought in Halfords a few years ago and want to change, I only use this for the odd cycle for recreation, I dont think its up to the commute.

I have looked through the specs of both bikes, a lot of the parts are different. Basically all I am looking for is a good durable bike, light a relatively fast, decent tyres to help avoid punctures, I'm 6 foot 2 so needs to be a good fit also. The CRS 1.0 is €770 + lights and mudguards in Richies in Swords, I also want to get a Jacket and new lock, its briging the price up quite a bit.

Basically I suppose I'm asking, is it worth the extra €200 or so for the CRS 1.0 for what I want to use it for.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=38&idproduct=30406

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=38&idproduct=30396

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

The major upgrade seems to be for the disc brakes and the composite fork. If you are considering paying ~770, something like this could be more suited. I don't know if you looked at road bikes at all, or intentionally left them out?

The road bike would also be nicer if you wanted to go for spins at the weekend. Personally, I regretted buying my hybrid and should have saved more for the road bike to start with...

In general, more expensive components = better shifting and quality. The CRS 1 seems to be about a level up for each part. If you have the cash, then go for the CRS 1. No point regretting it in a few months! Also, if a bike feels just that little bit nicer (or even if you think it does), you want to get out on it a bit more :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Thanks Coronal,

I haven't really looked at a road bike, to be honest I have never been on one. I always thought of them as being for racing and less robust than the Hybrids / Mountain bikes. Probably way off the mark here??
    Please forgive my Naivity :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The CRS seem to be more aimed at a comfy ride. The one I tried was very comfy. I think a Giant Rapid, of Defy would be lighter and faster though. Depends what you are looking for.

I'd say all decent bikes are robust enough for commuting. Unless you live on a mountain with no roads.

Not at all, I'd be the same if I hadn't been hanging about here! They look more flimsy and feel a lot lighter, but they're pretty tough. Unless you're jumping up and down off kerbs and diving through potholes (and even at that) you shouldn't have any problems with a road bike.

It'll feel a lot faster and more nimble, especially with the narrow tyres. Give one a go, if you can get a test ride. I've never looked back since my first time :P A plus with the Giant road bikes is that they have eyelets for a rack and mudguards as well (I think, anyway), which would be good for the commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Thanks Lads. Think I'm going to go for the road bike. Looking at the Giant Defy 3 or a Lapierre Audacio 200 Bike '10
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=35&idproduct=31007

• Advertisement

Excellent :)

The Giant has a better groupset, but I'd try to get a test ride on both of them before buying. Also, if you're buying from CSS, just be aware that they're the Irish agents for Lapierre so they might be more inclined to push that one. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just something to keep in mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Thekingofhearts

Have you looked at the Specialized Allez sport which retails at 735

Advertisement