Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera Case suitable for Carry-on

• 10-04-2010 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Folks I need your advice.

I'm travelling to Germany next month to cover the 24 hours of Nurburgring and need a case to bring my equipment over in. I'll hopefully be doing a lot of fly in / fly home events this year so thought it'd be worth my while to get something decent.

Have been looking at the Think Tank Airport Security which just about fits the carry-on size of 55x40x20cm (HxWxD) but its a bit pricey at €300ish.

Any ideas / suggestions ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Another recommendation is the Storm im2500. You can get them in Conn's for about €290 I think. They are they only supplier in Dublin as far as I know. There is a Pelican equivalent also for approx the same price but I couldn't find any stockists in Dublin when I was looking.

I'd recommend getting the dividers instead of the foam pluck as foam deteriorates badly over time.

You can fit 2 bodies, a 300mm, 70-200, 24-70, 17-40 and cards/batteries etc into it. Take out one lens and you'll fit a flash in as well. It has a retractable handle and is on wheels for easy carrying around. It's also under the recommended airline limits so there is no problem using it as carry-on.

To be honest you are going to have to spend a few bob on these cases but they are worth it as you'll never need a case again as they are built like tanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

I also have the Storm im2500, got it in Conns. I only have the foam, took a while to cut out but works well, I would prefer the dividers though.

Great case and recommend it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

The iM2500 is bigger than the Ryanair size ? Not by much but we all know how Ryanair can be about things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i have a 2500
    conns are not the only supplier

dml do them

but the distributor is called allmono /stormcase in blackrock

its worth spending the extra on the padded dividers, and is rock solid

i have a mad bright yellow one, so i can see it coming if i check it in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have the Storm too and find it excellent, not at all pricey for the protection it gives

• Advertisement

Can the iM2500 take a laptop as well ? Looking at them on the dealers site, look very well built compared to the think tank.

I think you can get a lid organiser, might be for the peli though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

The Peli 1510 is the biggest carry on size available in their range, it has the added advantage of having wheels - great if you are trekking through airports! http://www.barkerphotographic.ie/products.php?id=1229

i have a lid organiser for my storm

and it has wheels too

Will they take a laptop ?

• Advertisement

the lid organiser is just a board with pockets on it

but should be able to put laptop behind the lid organiser if it is held in with clips

I might lean towards the Think Tank, protection isn't key but the likes of easy access to the laptop, to passport and credentials etc is higher up my list.

Thanks for your thoughts !

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Ettna

stcstc wrote: »
    i have a 2500
    conns are not the only supplier

dml do them

but the distributor is called allmono /stormcase in blackrock

its worth spending the extra on the padded dividers, and is rock solid

i have a mad bright yellow one, so i can see it coming if i check it in

Have to see what these cases are like but are they suitable for checking in your cameras and lenses etc. Would anyone else feel happy to do that.

well reason i bought the yellow was so i could see it on the luggage reclaim

as for security, i use 2 large enought good quality locks, so aint gonna get opened buy an opportunist thief. but whole case could get nicked i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Ettna

stcstc wrote: »
    well reason i bought the yellow was so i could see it on the luggage reclaim

as for security, i use 2 large enought good quality locks, so aint gonna get opened buy an opportunist thief. but whole case could get nicked i guess

Was not thinking about them being nicked, do the cameras etc survive being thrown about by baggage handlers. Dont think I would enjoy travel with my equipment in baggage hold.

I have never checked my gear into the hold, always carry on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Would never put gear with the exception of tripod and cables, in the hold..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭eoinor

I buy my peli cases from here:
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/pelican-1510-carry-on-protector-case.html
    Super cheep, even with shipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

eoinor wrote: »
    I buy my peli cases from here:
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/pelican-1510-carry-on-protector-case.html
    Super cheep, even with shipping.

I bought Storm case here as I didn't want the hassle of import duty/VAT etc.

I'm selling my Storm 2500 with padded dividers as my 400 won't fit in it - must put an ad on adverts.ie when I get round to it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Would never put gear with the exception of tripod and cables, in the hold..

You don't always get the option - it can be a case of it goes in the hold or you don't go at all....

• Advertisement

mrboswell wrote: »
    You don't always get the option - it can be a case of it goes in the hold or you don't go at all....

I would take out the camera bodies and two lenses and carry them on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Borderfox wrote: »
    I would take out the camera bodies and two lenses and carry them on

And be charged €60 on Ryanair for the pleasure!!

Advertisement