Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manual?

• 10-04-2010 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Hi all,

Having realised recently that I've been going around with the new dslr on auto since i got it :o, I decided to have a go at manual at a friends house session last weekend, didnt take too many shots though, the crate of miller in the corner wouldnt stop calling me!:D
    Basically, Im wondering, is there any set of "we'll work in most indoor, candid type situation" settings to dial into a camera on manual mode?, lazy I know, but its more a curiosity thing really, i quite enjoy playing with the settings and all, i just want to know what sort of rules of thumb people use around here really.

4507485681_8582f11d6f.jpg
    Heres one I took, slightly tweaked in Camera RAW and PS, and heres the original, nothing special by any means, i just liked this particular pic, thoughts and comments welcome ;)

Heres the Original
    4508138280_810912e1d2.jpg

Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Basically, Im wondering, is there any set of "we'll work in most indoor, candid type situation" settings to dial into a camera on manual mode?

No.

You need to increase the ISO and lower aperture to get a handholdable shutter speed.
    Or else use a tripod.
    Or a flash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

Personally, I'd give aperture priority mode a go before you move onto fully manual settings. That way, you get control over depth of field and (indirectly) shutter speed, but you don't have to worry about getting the exposure correct. After using it for a while, you'll start to get an idea of what aperture and shutter speed combinations work in what lighting conditions, and then you can start using fully manual mode when you feel like you have a good grasp of the settings you need.

Also, out of interest, what camera and lens are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Echo what the others said.. and also, as was suggested to me recently (on this forum), a fast lens will help bigtime when shooting indoors.
    I got myself the Nikon 50mm 1.8 recently, and haven't looked back. Still need to up the ISO, but not as much as with slower lenses. It's inexpensive, and is super sharp. No zoom though.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Ballyman wrote: »
    No.

You need to increase the ISO and lower aperture to get a handholdable shutter speed.
    Or else use a tripod.
    Or a flash.

Yep, thought as much alright, was just more out of curiosity that I asked, start thinking strange things when you go out in the sun for long periods, not being used to it and all :D
    Thraktor wrote:
    Personally, I'd give aperture priority mode a go before you move onto fully manual settings. That way, you get control over depth of field and (indirectly) shutter speed, but you don't have to worry about getting the exposure correct. After using it for a while, you'll start to get an idea of what aperture and shutter speed combinations work in what lighting conditions, and then you can start using fully manual mode when you feel like you have a good grasp of the settings you need.

Also, out of interest, what camera and lens are you using?

Thanks for that on the Aperture Priority, had a go at it yesterday when sitting around with some friends in the sun, and see what you mean about picking up on the settings, makes a big difference when they turn out properly :)

I'm using a Canon 400D, and a standard kit lens, and I also have a Tamron 80-210, but didnt use that the other night or yesterday, prefer the kit lense, smaller overall kit.

Echo what the others said.. and also, as was suggested to me recently (on this forum), a fast lens will help bigtime when shooting indoors.
    I got myself the Nikon 50mm 1.8 recently, and haven't looked back. Still need to up the ISO, but not as much as with slower lenses. It's inexpensive, and is super sharp. No zoom though.

Had actually planned on buying a 50mm 1.8 off adverts about 2 weeks ago, but unfortunately some car problems popped up, and that took away all my "extra" disposable cash :(, but its a lense that is definitely on my list to buy.

Thanks everyone for the input by the way, helpful as always!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

50mm lenses are always popping up online, great little lens. I was lucky enough to get one with my camera. Great for indoor in bad light, portraits, landscape [once you have a good vantage point and night shooting. Catches some nice star-lights on long exposures. Though, the kit lens can do that also.

Aperture priority mode has to be the best of the semi-autos. Just put the thought into what ap you think you need and let the camera suggest shutter speeds. of course the cam is often wrong, but it gives you a good approx-point and by flicking into Manual from there, it'll keep the aperture setting but you can change the shutter speed around what it suggests, to suit better. I find my cam's A mode will set faster shutter speeds than I really need, so I flick to Manual and slow it up a little on the same aperture :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement