Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swords to Ennis on a Friday evening

• 10-04-2010 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hi, what's the best route take from Swords to Ennis on a Friday evening, leaving around 6pm.

Couple of options: M4, M6, N65, N66, N18, M18 looks like the most direct route. But maybe I'd be faster heading all the way to Oranmore on the M6, then N18, M18 to Ennis.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

I went from Maynooth to ennis last week. The satnav doesnt have the updated motorways so took us the "old" way through loughrey(sp). Anyway, we ignored the satnav and went the oranmore way. M4 to M6, through Gort into Ennis.

It turned out when we got back onto a road that the satnav knew, the Gort road, we would arrive in ennis at the exact same time and if it wasnt for an ice cream stop we would have arrived at ennis at the same time the satnav reported at maynooth with the old route.

So Oranmore is the same travel time*, better road, less stops and hold ups in towns.

*I say same travel time, but you are bound to get stuck a few times if you go the old way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Once the M7 is done it may well be quicker to go M7 - Limerick Tunnel - M18. But for now, it would be quicker to go M6 to Oranmore - N18 - M18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭spuddy

Sorry I didn't get back to this, trip got postponed, but thanks for the replies. Looks like its back on now so...

Even with the time saved to Oranmore on the M6, you've still got to travel the N18, which is fairly poor if I recall. Is the N66 through Loughrea much worse?
    Seems like a lot of extra kms to do, especially when it'll be off peak by the time I get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭chubba1984

I'm from just outside Ennis myself and commute from/to Dublin city centre every weekend. The fastest way home is M4/M6 to Oranmore and then down the N18 thru Gort. The N66 from Loughrea to Gort is a bad road in my opinion, windy and potholed, particularly when you're used to the motorway from Dublin to Loughrea. The N18 from Oranmore to Gort is a better road than the N66.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭spuddy

thanks for that, I'll stick with route via Oranmore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,099 ✭✭✭SeanW

yeah, in the old days, pre N6, it would have made sense to take the N66 from Loughrea, even though its not a great road from what I remember, simply because the N6 was going in that direction up to that point anyway. Now, getting off the M6 (just after paying the toll) and connecting via the N65 just doesn't sound like such a good idea.

Advertisement