Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Creaking crank - ok or no?

• 10-04-2010 5:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

Hey, just back from a Saturday spin and have something that's bothering me a little bit that I'd like some advice on.

There's a creaking sound coming from the crank area - only when I get out of the saddle.

The bike is a Planet X, built last October time (by Mr. Skeffington) and was back for a service with him in January. I'd say there's less than 2,000kms on it - around a thousand since the service.

I'm doing the Stephen Roche Tour de Cure on the 8th May, had planned on bringing it for a service before this to make sure everything was ok, should I bring it for one sooner rather than leave it the few weeks?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

you sure its not coming from the fork / headset? hold on your front brake and wiggle the bike back and forth, if you get any movement in the fork you need to loosen the stem bolts and then tighten your headset, then re-tighten the stem bolts - had the exact same noise. Sounded like it was the crank and only when coming out of the saddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Cheers - yea fairly sure it's from the crank area alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

joker77 wrote: »
    Hey, just back from a Saturday spin and have something that's bothering me a little bit that I'd like some advice on.

There's a creaking sound coming from the crank area - only when I get out of the saddle.

The bike is a Planet X, built last October time (by Mr. Skeffington) and was back for a service with him in January. I'd say there's less than 2,000kms on it - around a thousand since the service.

I'm doing the Stephen Roche Tour de Cure on the 8th May, had planned on bringing it for a service before this to make sure everything was ok, should I bring it for one sooner rather than leave it the few weeks?

Cheers

you possibly should consult mr skeffington .

and not try to make a cxxt of him on hear .

jwshooter wrote: »
    and not try to make a cxxt of him on hear .
    Insinuating something?

I've had nothing but good things to say about him and the service I received both times, so you can leave out the smartass comments

If I was trying to make a 'cxxt' of someone, I'd be a little more direct. Like how about you learn to spell, it's 'here' not 'hear'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

Hi Joker77,

Do you want to drop over with the bike to me some evening during the week and I will sort out that creak for you FOC. Im sure that it will only take a couple of minutes to fix and probably something quite simple.

Cheers,

Skeff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Evening all,
    Not meaning to hijack the thread but have noticed a similar noise from the cranks of my bike lately. Is this an easy fix or would I be best leaving it in somewhere?
    Any advise would be great.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

snollup wrote: »
    Evening all,
    Not meaning to hijack the thread but have noticed a similar noise from the cranks of my bike lately. Is this an easy fix or would I be best leaving it in somewhere?
    Any advise would be great.
    Thanks.

All bike noises sound like they come from the cranks. Pedals, cranks, bottom bracket, headset, freehub.... If you lack patience, take it to a mechanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Had a similar issue on my bike, started creaking from the crank after it's first long spin.

Sorted it out about 1500km later (:D) by completely stripping them down and greasing everything up to hell.

Lumen's right though, all creaking noises tend to sound like they're coming from your cranks, because they only appear when you put stress on the crank. Even serious frame cracks can sound like your cranks are creaking :)

Hi Joker77,

Do you want to drop over with the bike to me some evening during the week and I will sort out that creak for you FOC. Im sure that it will only take a couple of minutes to fix and probably something quite simple.

Cheers,

Skeff
    Cheers Skeff - yea I think it's probably easier all round to just bring it over, for piece of mind more than anything else. I was going to be bringing it over for a service next month anyway - but not looking for it FOC!
    Will pm you during the week,
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

i would guess it's the bottom bracket get it checked out before you go stripping everything ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

To echo a previous post I'd a very similar noise myself that I was convinced was the crank. Was coming out of the headset. Slight bit of play in it so tightened things up there and not a bother now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Slightly off topic but..................

Wonder were Cancellara's cranks creaking much over the last 2 weekends with all the power he was putting into them !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Zorba wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but..................

Wonder were Cancellara's cranks creaking much over the last 2 weekends with all the power he was putting into them !

i dont know ,but i would not like to buy ether bike he rode today

Advertisement