Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu on an iMac?

Options
  • 10-04-2010 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

Lads, I was given an Imac G5 machine for free! :)
    However it did not come with a mouse or keyboard. Would a usb Keyboard and mouse do?
    Admitidly I have 0% experience with an iMac, hence the stupid questions.
    More to the point though is that when I turn it on the apple logo comes up for about 10-15 seconds and looks like its gonna do something, and then just dies. I think it may be the harddrive. I was gonna try stick ubuntu on it and on a new HDD. Would this be possible or would I just be wasting my time before I even attempt to do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

You can run Ubuntu on Mac, a usb mouse and keyboard will work. You need to work out if it is a faulty hard drive. If it is, you should be able to restore the OS that was originally on it. I probably have restore discs somewhere.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Not sure if it would work - I doubt Ubuntu has compatibility/drivers for PowerPC-based iMacs :o

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Think gentoo and yelow dog have ppc linux ports. Don't be put off by a unfamiliar name (linux flavor). You still get the usual gnome / kde desktop, so no prob. Would be pity to see that bit of hardware go to waste. Or else sell it to Mac / ppc freaks at an over-inflated price... they go crazy for this type of vintage gear.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Or else sell it to Mac / ppc freaks at an over-inflated price... they go crazy for this type of vintage gear.

evilgrin.gif

Advertisement