Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typing the Leaving Cert.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Keyloggers are actually very often used on computers, especially in offices and the like.

I doubt they'd use them for this though. It's kinda frowned upon by most people, same as tapping phones etc. and I don't think the SEC would be getting involved in any shady tactics like that lol

As for the person you quoted, if they don't tell us then how would he/she have found out? :pac: I really don't think they'd use them tbh.
    It'd would be very easy to just stick in a usb key with crap loads of info really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

theowen wrote: »
    It'd would be very easy to just stick in a usb key with crap loads of info really?

As far as I'm aware, you have to save your work at regular intervals so they can see you're actually progressing through the exam. It would still be quite easy to just cut and paste chunks though...

However if there was a keylogger, you could just open the documents on the USB side by side with your actual exam document, and type the pre-prepared answers manually into your exam document, so all the keystrokes are logged and it looks legit.

If you have any know-how at all with computers you could fairly easily overcome most of what they throw at you, which as far as I've heard is all pretty basic stuff.
    What I reckon they'd do, if they've any sense, is uninstall the drivers for the USB ports in the computer. Seeing as you don't have the net you won't be able to get the drivers again, so there's not much you could do.
    The only way of beating that would be to stick a CD/floppy in on the sly during the exam - much harder to do as they both make a little noise and are more easily seen when you're putting them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

gemxpink wrote: »
    they have a program set up on it that records everything you do and type too, kinda like the school computers. Of course they don't tell you this lol.

Sorry but that is a load of crap. The SEC aren't that harsh for starters and secondly you are in a separate room, so the chances of you cheating are extremely low because the examiner will be in the room with you and is going to see what you are doing and if you take out notes he will catch very quickly and your exams cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mark Long

Could you not just go into the room the day before the exam and save all the stuff you need?

Mark Long wrote: »
    Could you not just go into the room the day before the exam and save all the stuff you need?

The laptop / computer has to be wiped clean. They can check that easily and have to right to check it for that reason.

• Advertisement

out of interest, who is 'they'? Is that the person who comes in to supervise you?

out of interest, who is 'they'? Is that the person who comes in to supervise you?

I'm not sure about other schools, but there's a guy (employed by the SEC I think) who has come in to ours specially to oversee all the reasonable accommodations stuff. He'd be the guy who is setting up the laptop I'll be using.

The invigilator

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

munkymanmatt- are u using your own laptop or are the school giving you one?

Using one of the school's. There's an outrageous fee for using your own because they have to wipe it (which takes all of 10 minutes) - I think it's something like €150 :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Are you certain about that? I don't see how they could see what you have typed if you delete if after

No they don't it's just a standard computer/laptop, but you have a supervisor looking over your shoulder, you won't be able to do anything untoward.

No they don't it's just a standard computer/laptop, but you have a supervisor looking over your shoulder, you won't be able to do anything untoward.

I've been told that it's very unlikely they'll be looking over your shoulder. I wouldn't be too bothered if they were, but someone who is nervous would have major problems with that.

I already know my supervisor anyway and I doubt she'll be doing that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I've been told that it's very unlikely they'll be looking over your shoulder. I wouldn't be too bothered if they were, but someone who is nervous would have major problems with that.

I already know my supervisor anyway and I doubt she'll be doing that :D

Well not in the physical sense but they will be watching you do your exam. That's their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Well not in the physical sense but they will be watching you do your exam. That's their job.
    I've seen and worked on the laptop I'll be using and it has USB ports and no watcher programmes etc. I'm sure if you really wanted to, you could just click off the pre prepared stuff you have before they walk over. Just food for thought...:rolleyes:

Ah yeah they'd be checking on you often enough. Just depends how far they sit from you, if you're not too close you could do stuff on the sly :cool:
    theowen wrote: »
    I've seen and worked on the laptop I'll be using and it has USB ports and no watcher programmes etc. I'm sure if you really wanted to, you could just click off the pre prepared stuff you have before they walk over. Just food for thought...:rolleyes:

I reckon they wouldn't have the software set up on the computer before the exams... it would make it all too easy for someone to look up the software and find out how to exploit it/ beat it. That is, if they do put software on them at all lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

When I did the Leaving cert, I had a separate room and of the school computers.

branie wrote: »
    When I did the Leaving cert, I had a separate room and of the school computers.

Cheers mate. Do you remember what they did in terms of checking if you were cheating?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

They will check to make sure you aren't cheating, and also it's possible to check if anything was connected to a pc with time stamps, if your caught cheating the penalty is very high, exam is cancelled and your not allowed sit state exams for 5 years.

In short - don't try it.

Ian Beale wrote: »
    and also it's possible to check if anything was connected to a pc with time stamps,

I think you need some software to do that and I don't think the computer would have it

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

I think you need some software to do that and I don't think the computer would have it
    There's in built tools in windows that do it, if anyone is seriously thinking about cheating by bringing in memory cards don't do it you will get caught

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

They will check to make sure you aren't cheating, and also it's possible to check if anything was connected to a pc with time stamps, if your caught cheating the penalty is very high, exam is cancelled and your not allowed sit state exams for 5 years.

In short - don't try it.
    There's in built tools in windows that do it, if anyone is seriously thinking about cheating by bringing in memory cards don't do it you will get caught

^ Pay attention to this, folks. Cheating is bad, mmkay? And remember, this forum is not for anyone looking for ways to cheat in the LC (just in case anybody had that in mind...)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This is a public forum. The number of students using a laptop is low.
    Even an idle threat to cheat is a bit silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Indeed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement