Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mackerel season started ?

Options
  • 10-04-2010 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

As the sun is shining, the memory of heavy buckets full of mackerels came to my mind.

Anybody been out yet ? are the big schoals here ?

Was thinking of having a go around kilkee with the feathers tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

no one knows if the mackerels have arrived ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

taking a spin up there in a while so i will let you know when i get back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Its still very early for mackerel. I certainly haven't heard of any in close to shore yet, nor even very many off the boat either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

ya another month or two,no mackeral to be got in dunlicky today anyway...

ok thanks lads i will wait a couple of weeks. the may BH WE should be OK :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭MACK DE KNIFE

if this weather keeps up:D we might get afew in the first 2 weeks in may, we were getten them early in may last year out off dun laoghaire in boats:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mackyboy

I think the water temp is a bit too low at moment, but if the warm weather continues, it won't be long warming up

MB

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

wont see decent mackerel on the shoreline till late june , might get a few out in the boats second week in may

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

There was a few taken in Kerry last week from the shore. It would take a good session to get any number at all tho.

Its going to have the warmest water temp of the country i suspect at this time of the year. As another poster pointed out, temp needs to warm up.

They wont be long tho lads! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Mackerel reported in bantry bay this morning.

• Advertisement

Hi Guy's,

I was talking to a guy at the weekend, and someone told him, they had mackerel from cloughahead pier last week.
    I don't know how many.

I don't know if this is true, personally I find it hard to believe.

I only going on what I heard

MB

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Thats poop talk anyawys, iam from clogherhead my self and its way too early yet! I go down the pier most days and hav'nt seen one. Last year at the end of may when it was nice and hot they came in but got rare until september

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

There are credible reports of mackeral being caught from boats and some from shore, it may be fairly early for them en masse from shore, but if you get lucky and the conditions are right you may find some.

skipz wrote: »
    Thats poop talk anyawys, iam from clogherhead my self and its way too early yet! I go down the pier most days and hav'nt seen one. Last year at the end of may when it was nice and hot they came in but got rare until september

Yeah as i said in other post, i didn't think it was true, that's confirmed it. At least we have a clogherhead spy now.

MB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

In Achill bank holiday just gone. No Mackeral to be had just 3 Pollock little early. look forward to there arrival though..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Got an hours feathering in today in Kerry...caught 5 pollock and 5 mackerel. :D

There was a few fishing around me who were getting them as well!

Sounds good ! might have a go around loop head in a couple of weeks !

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

Anything going around Dublin yet?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

seen a few being caught off the east pier in Dunlaoighre today while i was float fishing for wrasse, they arent big number of them yet tho

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

Thanks Peter!

• Advertisement

Wolfsberg wrote: »
    Thanks Peter!

no problem they were getting them on the back of the east pier right down the end you need to cast it as far as you can to the sand bar just out of spinner caster distance,

be careful of the lobster traps there you should be able to cast between them comfortably,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Have they still got the dinghy's to rent from Chris off from Bullock harbour? Thinking about heading down tonight try catch a few mackerel

i seen a few drifting so i presume they are available, alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭MACK DE KNIFE

this week plenty of mackies been caught off boats from dun laoghaire:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

peterk19 wrote: »
    i seen a few drifting so i presume they are available, alright

How much do they cost for a couple of hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

think it's 25eu an hour!?

caught a few from the shore in Co Clare this morning despite de rain. It's starting !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Are they not basically green sprat at this stage though? I'd really just wait it out a bit - the summers going to be a scorcher. Go spinning off rocks for pollack or even a bit of bass fishing at night. Wreck fishing is incredible atm I'm guessing, but I'm stuck up in Dublin for the time being.

Based on the reports, a good sunny day on the cusp of the tide turning and you'd fill boxes this August.

Even last year when it was basically snowing we got one sunny day about a mile offshore last June not terribly far from Dingle and we saw gannets circling and the dolphins belting towards the rocks. Pulled in 42 in 15 minutes by myself using shortened feathers. Ended up using bare hooks and they went for them because they were glistening in the sunlight. Think the tally was about 3 40lb boxes and a few smallish coalies, pollack, couple horse mackerel and a wrasse.

4983_507054738713_263200611_274669_4947665_n.jpg

Ended up gutting about 10 of them and feeding the dolphins for the headsup. You could have literally petted them when they started following us back into the harbour. Beautiful creatures, and it appeared to be a mating couple with pup. They apparently know the boat now because they didn't leave us alone for the rest of the summer!

4983_507055302583_263200611_274702_7655498_n.jpg

4983_507055287613_263200611_274699_4867460_s.jpg

4983_507055292603_263200611_274700_4750545_n.jpg

4983_507055312563_263200611_274704_5970404_n.jpg

4983_507055282623_263200611_274698_2884980_n.jpg

4983_507055272643_263200611_274696_8142931_n.jpg

Lost about 15 fish on the way back from gannets and gullies picking them off the gutting board. One of the feckers nearly took a jig with him.

God I love fishing.

(Small heads up, if you're down the southwest later on in the summer I might be bringing paying groups out depending on insurance and work availability. 32ft ex-angling tour boat, full colour radar/fishfinder/12 man liferaft etc... Used to be used as a heavy Ray/Tope big game boat.)

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    Are they not basically green sprat at this stage though? I'd really just wait it out a bit - the summers going to be a scorcher. Go spinning off rocks for pollack or even a bit of bass fishing at night. Wreck fishing is incredible atm I'm guessing, but I'm stuck up in Dublin for the time being.

Bass fishing is closed ATM.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055916034

would be better to know if you want to take groups out fishing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

Any mackerel at Poolbeg lighthouse ???

Advertisement