Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mackerel season started ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gearoid 12

any mackeral around youghal yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

BoarHunter wrote: »
    Bass fishing is closed ATM.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055916034

would be better to know if you want to take groups out fishing :D

One thing I never do is night fishing or bass fishing; I can guide her in from 8 or so miles offshore right up to the pier off the radar, but the area around me is ****ing riddled with pots so you have to be very careful. Was propped at my mooring once last summer by some bloody messer laying shrimp pots off a buoy the size of a kids soccer ball and had to get a diver out; don't intend letting it happen again.

Even wreck fishing is something that I do very rarely, although I've caught a few fairly serious ling before. So yeah, Bass is one thing I've never gone out for or have any interest in; a throw away comment.

I had some notion that the closed season was around now alright, but I still thought it was catch and release! Are paternoster/boom rigs completely frowned upon then if you're up and out early and casting into the tide? I used to set spillers out with a variety of hooks and baits from rags to lugs to mackerel strips and squid, but asides from the occasional plaice and dab it was all bloody doggies.

(By the by, 6 Irish Specimens were set within 5 miles of where I'm moored, I won't give anymore away but I've an idea what I'm at! If you recognise the grounds from the photos you'll know what I mean, probably the best in Ireland overall.).

• Registered Users Posts: 33 domall

The Mackerel have arrived in Clew Bay anyway lads. They're still a bit hit & miss but we were into them a fair bit with inexperienced anglers last weekend out in the middle of the bay between Achillbeg & Clareisland (fishing out of Currane, Achill).

I'm sure they'll get better over the next few weeks, but they're already very tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

was out near kilkee last night for the tide and was reeling them in 4 at a time :D. Great barbecue in sight !!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jonnyj

Anybody catch any near, dunmore east / saleens yet lads. What did you catch them with? Were trying silverghost lures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭axiom

out around Dalkey today, absolutely nothing goin

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

anyone out in howth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Get out ad have a go! Then you'll know if there is or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭murphy125

Absolutely none to been seen in Clogherhead today

Another few weeks i say:D

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

No mackerel at High Rock, Malahide before, during, or after high-tide this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

browner85 wrote: »
    anyone out in howth ?

Will be next weekend

Wolfsberg wrote: »
    No mackerel at High Rock, Malahide before, during, or after high-tide this evening.

Dose the high rock be finnicky anyway?? Iv fished it somedays and got great fishing and another day, same conditions would be poor.
    Heading their and Howth next week

It can be like that I suppose Dusty, but I've never had any luck in Howth for that matter. The only thing is that there are loads of snags within about 30 feet of the shore in Malahide, I (as usual) lost a ball of tackle last night. I've rarely come home from High Rock with nothing to show, when there are mackerel around.

... Never remember mackerel rigs and lead weights being so expensive!... every time I lost a rig last night I was like "there's another €6.50 down the drain!"

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

"there's another €6.50 down the drain!"

Where you buy your tackle from, thats mad money!!

An outdoor adventure shop in Swords. I never bought it there before Paid about €25 for 5 rigs, 5 weights, and a mackerel spinner. I decided to go on the day, all my tackle was in Kerry and I'm in Dublin. Please no advice that I should have gone to x, y or z shop, unless it was somewhere between Ashbourne and Malahide! I usually buy my stuff in ABC or Newry. ;)

The dearest rigs were €3.50 and the dearest weights were €3. I did get some rigs for €1.50 though. The lad in the shop is very nice and he did give me a small discount.

never had any luck in Howth for that matter.

Up by the cliffs, Walk down a little trail and your standing on a rock, decent spot but well known is the only thing, i think. Judging by the rubbish its well known. I often see lads fishing in the Harbour. Float fishing. What do they be after???
    And anywhere else around the area?? Will be up in swords for a week next weekend

I tend to stay away from that area, it attracts a lot of junkies. I don't know what the guys are after float fishing in the harbour. The only thing I've ever seen inside the harbour was mullet!!!

An outdoor adventure shop in Swords. I never bought it there before Paid about €25 for 5 rigs, 5 weights, and a mackerel spinner. I decided to go on the day, all my tackle was in Kerry and I'm in Dublin. Please no advice that I should have gone to x, y or z shop, unless it was somewhere between Ashbourne and Malahide! I usually buy my stuff in ABC or Newry. ;)

The dearest rigs were €3.50 and the dearest weights were €3. I did get some rigs for €1.50 though. The lad in the shop is very nice and he did give me a small discount.

You should try making your own feathers it dead handy and its great catching them on them. You can use all manner off stuff on the hooks, plastic, cloth, tinfoil (rips handy, but great!). I find silver and red work deadly.;)

Thanks Skipz. I have made them in the past when I was a student with lots of time on my hands but with my job I'd rather just buy the rigs and spend the time I save doing some actual fishing.

... The foil wrapper on a kit kat is the best by the way!... red on one side, silver on the other. Drives the mackerel mad!!! :D

[QUOTE=

... The foil wrapper on a kit kat is the best by the way!... red on one side, silver on the other. Drives the mackerel mad!!! :D[/QUOTE]

Ah good one, must give it ago!;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement