Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Phones and DCU Proxy

Options
  • 10-04-2010 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hello People, I was thinking of getting the HTC Desire, but from what I've heard, the android platform does not allow you to put in proxy settings (Way to cripple your OS google).

I would like to know if anyone with a HTC Hero or Legend has managed to connect outside the DCU network from within LapLan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

i got a desire over the wknd and it works fine on other networks but not on laplan, Any progress on this lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

My desire connected to the network no problem last week.

KenHy wrote: »
    My desire connected to the network no problem last week.

what browser are you using?

The one that comes with the phone!

are you rooted?

• Advertisement

I'm afraid you have gone beyond my limited technological knowledge. What does "rooted" mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Nekro Man wrote: »
    are you rooted?
    KenHy wrote: »
    I'm afraid you have gone beyond my limited technological knowledge. What does "rooted" mean?

You answered his question with that answer anyway, as your phone is not rooted unless you explicitedly did it. if you do not know what it is it is highly unlikely you followed a guide and did it and never realised what you were doing was called "rooting"!

Rooting is the act of granting full admin permissions to your phone. it allows greater access to the system and more fiddling to customise your phone. everyday users do not require it imo.

yeah rooting is a tricky process at best, the risk of bricking your phone completely outweighs the benefits atm.

are you sure you'r getting internet from laplan as opposed to mobile internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I cant get my iPhone 4 to work on Laplan XL.

Have given it to the tech guys twice and the proxy is entered, says its connected but majority of the time it wont open.

Well scratch all that, it didn't work today so maybe I was picking it up from another network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 fun

Android just doesn't support proxies. There's an if statement that sets the proxy to null when you're connected to a network over a proxy. You can remove this statement and recompile and bingo, proxy support.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

f you're getting a Desire, you're most likely going on to bill pay. Just use 3G. That's what I did. Not worth your time rooting your phone. Legends and Heros are crap and would also run versions of the same software.

It kinda worked today. The gmail app worked, even though I couldn't browse the net. Definitely wasn't on 3g. Was on the network from the computing school though which I think is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Some manufacturer distributions DO support proxies. Galaxy S does, though I haven't tried it yet with DCU, cause when I was in DCU on Monday, I couldn't find where the proxy setting was :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Gman1

Some manufacturer distributions DO support proxies. Galaxy S does, though I haven't tried it yet with DCU, cause when I was in DCU on Monday, I couldn't find where the proxy setting was :P

Android does support proxies. Its the phone itself, such as the HTC's that dont support proxies. Thats why some phones do support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Well, the X10 Mini Pro doesn't. Come on CA students, be awesome and make something to fix this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 halford

Android does support proxies over wifi but it is disabled by default, to get it working you need to rebuild it with proxies enabled over wifi. The Desire is a popular phone so there should be community based ROMs available to install with this enabled.

Google CyanogenMod :)

halford wrote: »
    Android does support proxies over wifi but it is disabled by default, to get it working you need to rebuild it with proxies enabled over wifi. The Desire is a popular phone so there should be community based ROMs available to install with this enabled.

Google CyanogenMod :)

that requires rooting, which on the new SLCD screens is a dodgy process at best

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

If you don't plan on rooting it, and you probably don't want to root it, give up on proxies.

Just get a free data connection.

If you don't plan on rooting it, and you probably don't want to root it, give up on proxies.

Just get a free data connection.

I plan on rooting it, however my hero has the latest build software. And all the sites show you how to root using an older version of the build software. :(

There is also a site called http://unrevoked.com/ which migh be useful to others.

• Advertisement

IRC unrevoked only works on the older HBOOT (amoled screens) and not the newer ones (SLCD)

Nekro Man wrote: »
    IRC unrevoked only works on the older HBOOT (amoled screens) and not the newer ones (SLCD)

Ye I know, I tried it there yesterday. Im going to have to put on the old RUU and then root the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sephiroth_vg

Roots FTW...theres also a program on XDA for re routing traffic thru proxy on any rom..its called transparent proxy..and you need super user permissions to make it run ( read: root) so its a plus for people who wants to run Sense (looks nicer then stock android anywhoo)

Advertisement