Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the best stand alone fantasy novels you have read?

• 10-04-2010 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭

I think my favourites that I have read are "Perdido Street Station" by China Mieville and "The People of Paper" by Salvador Plascencia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

It's not straightforward 'Fantasy' in the usual sense but "Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell" is amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

"The Redemption of Althalus", by David Eddings.

"The Master of Whitestorm", by Janny Wurts.

"The Homeward Bounders", by Diana Wynne-Jones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay (sp?) is pretty awesome.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just having a think about it and it seems that all the best stuff was expanded into a series!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

There aren't many standalone fantasy novels but two that I did like were Tad William's "The War of the Flowers" and J.V. Jones' "The Barbed Coil". Both were standalone with no sequels or prequels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 FJFF

"The Redemption of Althalus", by David Eddings.

Possibly my favourite stand alone novel, well worth a read.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

There's a blog entry here about the blogger's favourite standalone fantasy novels. Can't say I've read 'em but might be worth a shot!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

ixoy wrote: »
    There aren't many standalone fantasy novels but two that I did like were Tad William's "The War of the Flowers" and J.V. Jones' "The Barbed Coil". Both were standalone with no sequels or prequels.
    You sir, are a man of rare and excellent taste re: "The War of the Flowers".

Also, I'd rate : "Declare" by Tim Powers + "A Brother's price" by Wen Spend er

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. You could call it a sci-fi but it works very well as a fantasy.
    American Gods/Stardust/Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned.
    The Anubis Gate by Tim Powers. This one came to me as he's already been mentioned. Brilliant and bizarre time travel adventure story.
    Small Gods/Men at Arms by Pratchett. While technically part of the Discworld series they are stand alone novels. If not Men At Arms then Small Gods certainly is. No recurring characters and in a fresh setting.
    Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie. He's new and a lot of people haven't read him but he's fantastic and this was an unbelievable pleasure to read.

I'll second Perdido Street Station and Jonathan Strange. The former is a great and strange book that I think its follower The Scar almost matches. Too bad about Iron Council though. The latter, Jonathan Strange, was long but never boring, had a realness about it and came together brilliantly in the end.

Advertisement