Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great Island Run - NOT Great Ireland

• 10-04-2010 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭

On Sunday April 18th, the same day as the Great Ireland Run, the inaugural Great Island Run will be held in Cobh (aka Great Island).

This race is being held as a fundraiser for the Irish Cancer Society and 100% of the €15 entry fee is going to the Irish Cancer Society - yes you read right 100%! The organisers have been innovative in fundraising, allowing them to donate the full amount of the entry fees to charity.

As a Cancer survivor, I urge you to think about doing this one. I reckon it's also a relatively fast course, so I'm hoping for my fastest 10 in several years (fingers crossed ;) ) [Disclaimer: I measured this course (going from finish to start) and you get a different perspective on the bike, particularly when measuring the course in reverse]

See you there!! :):):)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Enduro

Good luck with the race lads. Would love to have run this one, but it clashes with another race I'm doing.

(from a Cobh exile)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

hey, im doing it..had a look on mapmyrun and the course looks steadily downhill for most of the last 2/3's....happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

I'm thinking of running this next Sunday. I hadn't realised so much of it is downhill, that will certainly help with going for a PB.

Does anyone know what kind of a crowd is expected? I don't see anything mentioned on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sorento07

I'm thinking of running this next Sunday. I hadn't realised so much of it is downhill, that will certainly help with going for a PB.

Does anyone know what kind of a crowd is expected? I don't see anything mentioned on their website.

From reading an article in the county when the race was launched they are hoping for around the 500 mark. Hopefully they will get this and more as all the proceeds go to the Irish Cancer Society. I agree with Condor the latter half of the course is fast and mainly flat so you may see some PB,s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Hi,

Any idea if you can enter on the day ? I might be in Cork for the weekend but won't know until closer the time. Also, do you think there will be a very mixed field ??? I'd love to do it but am very slow and would hate to find myself in the wrong place i.e. trudging around when all the rest are real runners looking for pbs :eek:

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sorento07

You can register and pay on the day. From what i know their is a very mixed field from the very experienced to the beginner. Hope to see you sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Last night I spoke to the guy who's inputting the pre-registrations and he said that there are approx. 250 pre-reg so far.

The forecast for Sunday is good, course is good, so looking forward to this!

............and...don't forget....the full €15 entry fee goes to the Irish Cancer Society.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 PaudieMac

2010 Great Island Run. Cobh 18/04/2010

http://www.runningpictures.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Hard run, but good if you paced. I had my best 10 miler for several years! Took the scalps of several of my peers too.

Great to see such support for a great cause, the Irish Cancer Society, with 513 finishers AND 100% of the entry fee going to the Irish Cancer Society.

At the presentation, Roz Crotty, the person who got the idea of organising this following the deaths, in a very short time, of her sister and father from the disease, gave a lengthy and very moving address to those present - you could hear a pin drop throughout.

Over 30,000 people in ireland will be diagnosed with some form of Cancer in 2010!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Results are up: http://www.greatisland10.com/Place_Time_Name_Team_Race_Age_Category_min.doc

Took 4 minutes off my previous best to go sub 75. Very pleased with it!

It all seemed very well organised, particularly since it was the first time the race has been held.

Would the fact that the start of the race is a fair height above the finish mean its much faster than a 'regular' 10 mile? A difference of a minute or two?

• Advertisement
Advertisement