Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Filter for American Style Fridge Freezer Galway

Options
  • 10-04-2010 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi. I need to change the filter in my fridge. The ice function won't work either so I take it the filter effects this too. Does anyone know where in Galway I can buy a filter and is it an easy enough job to change it? Thanks. :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

Your best bet is to ask some of the American fridge retailers in Galway.

AFAIK, these are N17 in Terryland, Currys, and Expert Electrical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Des Kavanagh's would probably have them too,depending on the make of fridge. They're in Market St and have a place in Clybaun too

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

I have a whirlpool fridge, got a filter in that lamp shop in westside shopping centre (can't remember the name).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Get the make and model of your fridge, it may be at the back so a bit awkward. Find the manual and you'll find the names of the replacement parts and how to replace them. At worst you can order them from America and it probably won't cost that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Ruffty^ wrote: »
    I have a whirlpool fridge, got a filter in that lamp shop in westside shopping centre (can't remember the name).

Peter Murphy's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 christg

ebay is your best bet for price. Try to buy two at a time to save on shipping - your suppose to change them every 6 months. Its an easy job, if you can pull out the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭RubyBlu

Thanks!
    I managed to track down the instruction manual and it's indicating the filter is inside the fridge on the back up high on the right. There is no filter there. The thing that I thought was the filter is the 'water purifyer' and is a cylinder thingy on the wall behind the fridge. Any help. I gave up on it and managed to unclog the ice maker in the process, so at least I can still get ice. Thanks for the tips and apologies for my ineptitude re. fridges and electrical items.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 christg

The filters inside the fridge are for odor, they have a habit of trapping water and forming an ice block the stops the fans from working (or start making noise) - these can usually be thawed out and soaked in water to clean. (and then fully dried).

The filter mounted outside of the fridge (mine is on the ground - but they could be mounted onto the wall) is the water filter. These are generic and can be found on ebay pretty easily. (even Irish distributors).

They are easy to change out, they're either clip on hoses or else a compression nut. If you can turn off the water to the fridge before you change the filter - it will cut down on the drama, if not, the water hose is pretty small and can be handled with a bucket and a rag. The water filter will have a large arrow on it showing the water flow. To reset the red light to green you normally need to press two buttons on the control panel for 30 seconds. These are just six month timers and have no knowledge of the real condition of the filter.

The filter just filters solids and does seem to make the water taste better - but it does not kill anything like we had last year (crypto??) - even though you can buy UV filters that will, but have to be plugged into the mains and probably cost a good penny.

Advertisement