Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's Thickness Ridge Cloudiness

Options
  • 10-04-2010 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭

People in the midlands and east saw some high overcast Alto and Cirrostratus today which spoilt the sunshine for a while. Dublin METARs had this cloud at around 20,000ft.

I was wondering what exactly was causing this cloud to form and the Dutch MET Office have answered my question with their 15Z SATREP, showing it to be Thickness Ridge Cloudiness, caused by condensation in a rising warm conveyor belt. See here for a detailed description.

Just thought it might be interesting.

LOC_20100409_1500.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

I had noticed that band of cloud today over the midlands and wondered why it was forming despite the fact Ireland was supposedly basking under high pressure. Thanks for the explanation, even if I'm not sure I fully understood it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Cheers Su.

Advertisement