Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help for a new camera

• 10-04-2010 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

hi,ive searched for a new camera but am a bit baffled,so im asking some of you to point me in the right direction.
    im on a tight budget,the camera is to be used primarily for taking snaps of my work but i also go to a lot of road race meetings(motorcycle)now ive been looking and no that i need one with a fast shutter speed to get good pics of a moving bike,so here's the thing i cant afford a dslr,so any one point me in the direction of a compact camera capable of taking pics of a moving bike?
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

can you give an estimated budget .... so we know what price range to throw out at ya ?

you can get good results from a compact (if you understand the compact and its limitations) .... a DSLR will just make it easier for you to get a better pic (doesnt mean it will get you a better pic)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Cheers for the descriptive post OP, just throw in your price point and we'll help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

well it's a bit embarrassing hoping around 60-70 but if i had to would stretch to 80-100,looked at a couple on adverts and put a small offer on one that was turned down.
    cheers

sorry ment to say i dont mind a second hand camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

no offence intended but with that budget - you might consider a secondhand/old film SLR (and search through charity shops) ..... its unlikely you will get a decent DSLR for that (even second/third hand).

As regards point and shoot .... on your budget its fairly tight ....for what you want I cant recommend anything.....keep visiting charity shops and watch online religiously....every now and again a bargain pops up....but you need to be fast.

Sorry I couldnt be of much help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

jambofc wrote: »
    well it's a bit embarrassing hoping around 60-70 but if i had to would stretch to 80-100,looked at a couple on adverts and put a small offer on one that was turned down.
    cheers

sorry ment to say i dont mind a second hand camera.

Sub €100 gets you a typical 10MP compact camera. Fujifilm A100, A150 or A180 are typical examples. This will take nice clear pictures of still subjects in good light, but you will have a hard job getting it to capture a speeding motorbike.

A second hand bridge camera might be a better choice. Some older models can be picked up on eBay for around €100.

Ideally you would get a DSLR, but you will have to spend a bit more, even for SH.

• Advertisement

i understand that on that budget im not going to get great pics,what i was looking for is something second hand on adverts,will keep looking for a bridge camera second hand so,are they all much the same or is there a certain make better than others or ones to stay away from,thanks for the help.
    cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I have a fuji s1000fd I would let go for €100, that includes 1GB SD card + overnight battery charger with 4 re-chargeable batteries.

I paid €250 for it less than a year ago. Great little cam, All images on my Flickr or Pix accounts [links in my sig] pre-March [Up to and inc Paddy's day] of this year were taken using it. I learned a lot on it, it has manual controls [albeit restricted to f/8 and 8 second exposures, but it can shoot as fast as 1/2000 and has the usual Aperture priority/shutter priority modes plus your Auto-scene modes -

Here's a shot of a moving bike taken with it -

4441225561_109dc61a37.jpg

:D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-FinePix-S1000fd-Digital-Camera/dp/B00152A06G/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1270973333&sr=1-21

Just recently bought a Sony dslr and was immediately comfortable with it thanks to what i'd learned on the wee fuji. Any less and I'll keep it though, they're still going for more on ebay with no charger -

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Fuji-FinePix-S1000fd-Digital-Camera-10-Megapixels-1GB-/180481618654

I have a fuji s1000fd I would let go for €100, that includes 1GB SD card + overnight battery charger with 4 re-chargeable batteries.

thats a great offer,i will get back to you shortly,really didnt want to have to go to the 100 but if needs be.
    thanks.
    will pm you if the boss gives me the all clear ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

No problem. I understand your situation, I had to go used for my dslr and I was very restricted budget-wise. The only reason I'd even sell this is to make up for what i spent on the dslr [€300] - I've already sold my Xbox 360.

That's why I wouldn't go below the 100. I still love that wee camera. If you find a better deal that's fine, but it's an option for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

PCPhoto wrote: »
    no offence intended but with that budget - you might consider a secondhand/old film SLR (and search through charity shops) ..... its unlikely you will get a decent DSLR for that (even second/third hand).

As regards point and shoot .... on your budget its fairly tight ....for what you want I cant recommend anything.....keep visiting charity shops and watch online religiously....every now and again a bargain pops up....but you need to be fast.

Sorry I couldnt be of much help

No offense but that is terrible advice. OP is clearly on a budget, you must factor in film development costs as well as shooting a roll without having any indication if he pulled the shots off or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

My advice, read this, it’s funny and very true…

A young photographer held a photo exhibition. His mother asked him to give her friend (one of the sponsors) a guided tour around
    the gallery, afterwards she remarked “they are really exceptional you must have a very expensive camera” he said nothing, but a few days later he was at the ladies house and was eating some home made cake, when he was finished, he said the “ the cake was really exceptional you must have a very expensive oven.

The moral here is: it’s not your equipment; it’s what you can do with it….

Advertisement