Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nissan Almera brakes problem

• 10-04-2010 8:46pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

left my almera lying up for two days.

started it up this morning and let handbrake off and it wouldnt move.

the back brakes felt like they were sticking. ive noticed a squeeking from the back drum brakes over last few weeks when the car is not moving and i pump the brakes.

anyway it wouldnt move for me so i put handbrake on and off a few times then pumped the brakes a few times and finally it moved off.

anyone got any ideas whats up? ive an nct next week and am really worried!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The shoes could be binding if moisture got in there. A bit of copper grease on where they make contact with the drum should sort it (ie. not on the shoe surface). I had the same trouble with mine during the winter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Maybe you're right,

Ive noticed it makes a rubbing sound for a while after I hand wash the car and have sprayed the hose into the alloys.... just noticed the squeeking noise when i pumped the brakes the other night which worried me.

going for its nct this week so will keep fingers crossed it gets through that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48 outta

Morphéus wrote: »
    Maybe you're right,

Ive noticed it makes a rubbing sound for a while after I hand wash the car and have sprayed the hose into the alloys.... just noticed the squeeking noise when i pumped the brakes the other night which worried me.

going for its nct this week so will keep fingers crossed it gets through that :(
    I had a work mate who's brand new car hand brake got frozen! car would not move. And its siezed once since then too. That could be the trouble

PASSED THE NCT!!!!

Now im worried about the brakes though.

Yesterday, I tried to demonstrate to my father, the squeaking in the rear when I pump the brakes... sadly it wouldnt squeak... to me this says that there must be moisture getting into the rear braking system somewhere and that with the few days fine weather the moisture had evaporated.

Can someone tell me what do i need to do and to look at to check this theory out?

Also, can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much replacement DISC pads (for front wheels)
    and DRUM brake pads/shoes/whatever-theyre-called (for rear wheels) might cost??? I can get the replacement done myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭2010 G

If you buy them for the motor factors you should be payind no more than €100 or so for disc's, pads and shoes

• Advertisement

Thanks,

What do I need to ask for for the drums? is it pads,shoes... what??? cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

The back are rear pads, all depending whether your car has all round
    disc's, maybe take a note of your model. but if you say shoes i'm sure
    the motorfactor will know what you mean, its a common enough
    fault the "squeaking" on Almera back brakes, best to have
    the rear hubs off to have a good check of the condition
    of your pads and the slave cylinders, plus the adjusters.

Advertisement